Thread: U Joint Axles

1. Collapse Details
    U Joint Axles
    So I've been thinking long and hard at trying to use U-Joints for custom drive axle's rather than CV 's. I realize there have been plenty of discussions/fighting over the difference in the two. But I stumbled across a few things today that I wanted to share that might make other people U Joint Builds a little easier.

First I found this Video:

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gW-xNLc7WfQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gW-xNLc7WfQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    If you go to 4:03 You see this guy Showing off his trailing arms... They intrigued me and I found this in the comments:

"...I used a 14 series u joint and slip yoke for the drive shafts. they use a 1 3/8" shafting. I had to drill and tap 5 more set screw to ensure they would not move on wheel stub shafts. I have had good luck with them they only cost around 300 for the whole set up.compared to 1500+ for 930 CV's most farm stores have them in stock... "

Anyway, I did some more searching and found this for a Low Budget Build:

ToyotaOffRoad.com - Square Driveline Mod

Anyway hope that might inspire some Hobbyist's like myself to try and affordably Get some travel in the rear of their buggies...

Thoughts? Rants? Raves? Insight?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: U Joint Axles
    i think that they look pretty clean myself. 1 up

3. Collapse Details
    kentj14,
    I think that's minirail's buggy. You can find more pictures here:

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/show-...000-buggy.html

I'm willing to bet he may be able to answer your questions if you ask him for more details.

Another option is to use a-arms instead of trailing arms.
    Nicken did that with his car, and it seems to work alright, although he has had problems breaking the u-joints (read through his thread and you'll find it)

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/show-...ini-buggy.html

this way you don't need to have slip-yoke axles on the u -joints, providing the suspension geometry has been designed correctly.

4. Collapse Details
    I use the Extreme Fabrication Axles in my V8 Car - lots of HP and Torque - they work great but are very heavy, too heavy for a Mini Buggy IMO. I used 930 Race Prep CV's in my SST Hayabusa Rail and the Axles were standard length (read that cheap). They worked perfectly for 18" of travel. Just keep them clean and greased - they will always be cheaper

5. Collapse Details
    I have some u joint axles from a sinister car that i can get rid of if someone is interested. $150 plus shipping. They are about 23 inches compressed and about 28" extended flange to flange. A driveshaft shop could extend or shorten them if needed.

6. Collapse Details
    Do you have a pic of those? I might be interested.

7. Collapse Details
    BMW 318i CV axles are cheap and abundant. I got a set for 60 bucks and an hour of work to get them off the car. They don't have the same angularity as 930's but it all depends on how much travel you are designing the car for...

Paul

8. Collapse Details
    I just picked up a set of 2 short cv's from a 95 vw, two spindles with bearings and hubs, two cv cups from the tranny all for $120 canadian, basically got my whole rear end drive for cheap I think anyway. All with a 90 day warranty. If anybody wants the name of the place just ask, its in Torotno Canada

9. Collapse Details
    Sounds like a good deal to me!