Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My FNR Transmission
    After finishing my second rail (my first dual seater) and tearing it around the desert, it became clear to me after getting into some uncomfortable places, I needed a reverse. Looking around on the site, there seemed to be a lot of options for FNR gearboxes, most of which seemed in excess of $1K+

I ran across a thread from a guy who used a Honda transmission for his, so I thought that'd be an interesting idea.

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/welco...ce-oregon.html

Not only does it have a Reverse in it, but it's also got a differential, which is nice on the hardpack and on the street. It's also got 5 more gears. Combine the 1st gear of transmission with the gearing from my engine, and I'll have a nice crawler. It looked like a pretty straightforward install, so here goes.

I've got a lot of the design sorted out but am looking for a little help wrapping things up.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: My FNR Transmission
    This was my old rear carrier.

3. Collapse Details
    Old carrier gone, 92 Honda Accord transmission in it's place.

To mount my CV's to the tranny, I picked up a set of the axle spuds from the Accord CV axles. I welded up a spacer to the end of it and then welded the VW transmission adapter to that. The whole assembly is the gray piece.

4. Collapse Details
    Getting this thing to shift was a challenge, but once it came to me, it was pretty simple. Because this was a front wheel drive, the shift box on the Accord went straight into it.

Now the tranny is behind me and so is the shift spud. In order to be able to shift it, I need to line up the spud directly to where I was going to mount the shifter box.

First off, I machined up a piece that fit over the shift spud and locked it in place with a pin. Then I bent a piece of tubing down and around the bottom of the tranny. I notched it on both ends to fit the machined piece and a length of tubing that ran under everything and up to my seat.

The idea here is the length of tubing mounts to my VW shift box. When I shift left or right, it rotates the tube, then engages forward or back. That's why it's critical to be lined up with the shift spud on the tranny. This is all hard linked, no cables, ujoints, or anything else.

5. Collapse Details
    So I'm able to shift it, now I need to drive it.

I picked up a clutch plate for the transmission to get the inner splined part. I welded up a shaft to the spline so I have something to mount the sprocket to and to support it with some bearings. The transmission splined shaft only has a bronze bearing on it. No way that's going to hold up with any kind of side load.

I'm planning on adding a plate boxed to the frame in order to mount a bearing on to support the shaft. Now, I need to get a bearing on the inside of the shaft (in between the sprocket and the tranny). Ideally, I'd like to get it on the inner most part of the shaft as opposed to the shaft from the transmission.

The problem is there's really no easy way to get any kind of plate or mount for a pillow block to get a bearing on.

Here's a few picts of the setup as is. Nothing's welded at the moment, in case I need to re-think this.

Any ideas how I can get a bearing in between the sprocket and tranny?

6. Collapse Details
    Good to see you doing this and the progress is very nice.

I noticed his part you said below:

Quote Originally Posted by rahlberg13 View Post
    The problem is there's really no easy way to get any kind of plate or mount for a pillow block to get a bearing on.

Here's a few picts of the setup as is. Nothing's welded at the moment, in case I need to re-think this.

Any ideas how I can get a bearing in between the sprocket and tranny?
    I have a Honda tranny here too. To combat the shaft alignment/support problem WHEN I get to it (Things are not going well for me here now) I plan to leave my bellhousing completely intact and build a plate that bolts to it with a bearing inside the plate AND outside with the sprocket in between. The splined clutch adaptor will slide thru and be hled in palce by the outside bearing.

This way if I ever do torch the Honda tranny I can bolt my adaptor to another tranny and be off.

But I do plan to do the tranny mod 1st and build my frame around the tranny. So I will be able to accomodate it more to my liking than haveing to fit it in a prexisting setup.

But I hope yours is running SOON and you car show us how it works! Good stuff!
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

7. Collapse Details
    The housing/tranny is aluminum isnt it,cant you weld to it?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    The housing/tranny is aluminum isnt it,cant you weld to it?
    Yup and Arrowhead did do a bit of welding to his setup.

I cannot speak for rahlberg13 but I myself do not have the means to weld aluminum well so I prefer to use steel and leave the bellhousing. To ME (as in my opinion) it makes little sense to cut the bellhousing off only to have to add on things to the tranny to support the shaft.

Again this helps if you build around the tranny from the start and are not trying to fit it in to align for the driveshafts and the motor afterwards.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

9. Collapse Details
    Why not weld an aluminum flange plate right to the top of this flange and leave enough room to get the tranny bearings or whatever out,and bolt either the bearing or another plate(with the bearing bolted to it) to it.

thats too many to its!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

10. Collapse Details
    Since this was integrated into the existing rail design, I didn't have the option to build around it. I had to cut the bell housing for a couple reasons:

1.) I needed to center the tranny based on where the CV's would attach. I didn't want to have to buy new axles for different reaches if it was offset.

2.) Because the tranny was mounted based on the CV location, where the engine chain ring came off would have run right into the housing. Therefore, out came the sawzall. After I work out the bugs and get it running right, I'll pull it out and clean it up. Right now it's all about functionality!

I've thought about welding a plate right where you mention Bull. That may be my only option to get a face I can mount a bearing to. Although I've never welded Aluminum. I may have to take it to a guy who can do it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast