Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The CV Joint - What they're all about
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Exclamation

2. Collapse Details
    Re: The CV Joint - What they're all about
    Kfab- I'm in the process of building a stadiumlite and I have the option of purchasing a Pilot gearbox or for a few bucks more I could get a RPM gearbox from Dan. I plan on using a slightly modified Fl 350 motor but I was wanting to know which gearbox would be better to use?

3. Collapse Details
    RPM. Especially if its got the ratio you need or you can get it with the one you do.

Tougher and easier to get parts for than a Pilot tranny as Pilot trannies are no longer made. The Pilot tranny will be a good replacement for a Pilot guy needing it.

Plus if you ever wreck the stadium light the RPM will likely be there ready to go into the next build no matter what power plant you stick in front of it.

Top it off with the RPM having CV flanges already.

Still the Pilot tranny would work. But given a choice and a small differance in price I would jump at a good RPM in a flash.

Pilot trannies CV splines can be an issue too.

Great CV link collection too K-fab.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    Hi All,
    Firstly, Thank you for your fantastic posts, I have been building my buggy over the past 10 years and have only (unfortunately) just found this forum and it is awesome.

Secondly, I have recently decided to change from UV joints to 930 Lobro joints and I have a few questions.

1. in terms of width of track and setting the correct length of A-Arm on the rear, where does one place the cv cage relative to the cv outer i.e. should the cage be set centre at a set angle to the cv outer? (not so easy to explain).

2. I have kept my ratio of cv to rose joint mount the same for the hub mounts and the chassis mounts. Was this a good thing to do as I hope to reduce drive shaft/cv plunge.

Thanks.

5. Collapse Details
    F-150 CVs and Intrepid Hubs

I just wrote this in another thread and figured this would be a good place to copy it so it doesn't get lost in the forum since this thread is stickied. Much of it has been stated before but I think this does a good job of summing it up:

Several people (including me) use '97-03 F-150 4x4 outer CVs paired with Intrepid Hubs. Standard 930 axles fit the spline of the F-150 CVs so you can use either a RCV non plunging 930 inner CV or a standard plunging 930 if needed. The non plunging inner CV paired with the non plunging F-150 Rezeppa (CV) is capable of safely running up to 40 degree. You will need to run rear A-Arms, a 3 link setup (think RZR 900 or 1000), or 5 link setup with non plunging inner and outer CVs. You will only get around 1/4" total plunge out of the non plunging setup so your suspension geometry needs to be spot on. If you use a standard plunging 930 inner CV this will buy you some room for error.

The reason for the Intrepid hub is due to the hub flange diameter. The standard F-150 hub flange is massive. Like over 6" in diameter massive. This creates an issue with running off the shelf rotor hats and wheel adapters so you will probably need to machine the F-150 hub face for the correct diameter and to change the stupid 5x135mm bolt pattern to a pattern with more wheel options. Speaking of bolt patterns, one other issue with the Intrepid hub is that it is 5x4.5 so no off the shelf wheel adapters are available however I would PM Rick S on this site. There is some confusion about his Intrepid hub setup but we think he offers a 5x4.75" bolt pattern. While we are not sure if he does offer an Intrepid hub in a 5x4.75" pattern, he has offered multiple times to redrill the hubs to that pattern. The reason for the 5x4.75" pattern is so a standard Microstub VW Wide 5 (5x205mm) wheel adapter can be used. He also offers the bare F-150 CV complete with a boot, clamps, and grease but without the axle which will save you the mess (and your significant others the smell) of tearing apart an F-150 axle since Empi stopped stocking them.

The last note on the Intrepid hub and F-150 CV combination is that you will need a small spacer to take up the extra spline on the F-150 stub. The F-150 stub splines are around 3/8" too long for the Intrepid hub but I believe Rick S can provide the spacers. After a bit of research, it looks like the Spacer can safely be run on the outside of the hub to keep the CV axis as far out as possible.

As far as axles go, do NOT try to cut and sleeve a pair of stock axles on a motorcycle powered buggy. I, along with several other people on this site, have tried unsuccessfully. Try to use off the shelf Sway-A-Way 930 axles. Another option is getting custom Axles from TCS Performance. Most, if not all people on this site have not had good luck with plunging axles so I probably wouldn't recommend going that route. It is typically a VERY expensive and unreliable mistake.
    http://www.tcsperformance.com/ppdnew...cts/axles.html

I have emailed Engineer to see if he would be OK with me attaching his CAD drawing of the F-150 CV and F-150 hub that he graciously shared with me. If he gives me the go-ahead I will edit this post and attach the file. While the Intrepid hub has a 1.66" hub offset (distance between the Wheel mounting surface and and the hub mounting surface on the spindle) compared to the F-150's 1.96" offset, nothing else is different. The CV axis stays in the same location in relation to the hub's spindle mounting surface.

Below is Rick S's website. He is a very nice, helpful, and cheap resource for this setup as well as any Wilwood products you need. He has been around 15% cheaper than the best internet pricing I have seen. Just email him and he usually gets back to you within 24 hours.

http://www.rickskraschsite.com/
    Last edited by flyerrider; 07-01-2014 at 09:56 PM.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

6. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    I've put lots of trips on EMPI axles FWIW.
    Also IF your Intrepid hubs are somewhat loose I had good luck with a flare die and a press to tighten the bearings via the CV side. Torquing joint tighter and tighter never made it any tighter nor did straight pressing either.
    Interco makes the nicest new F150 joints. I wish I had P/Ns to share.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JGSturbo View Post
    Interco makes the nicest new F150 joints. I wish I had P/Ns to share.
    Not sure how you can make that claim since you have never purchased a set of mine....lol
    And mine are new also.

8. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS. View Post
    Not sure how you can make that claim since you have never purchased a set of mine....lol
    And mine are new also.
    I guess I should add "That I've seen" to that statement .
    I assume yours are not the super small star like the Empi ones?
    Empi shoved a huge axle through a smallish star leaving very little meat around the splines . Small joint in a big housing.

Its like buying 930 CVs only to find Type 2 guts inside

If such isn't the case I will consider your next I need a CV

9. Collapse Details
    Wow!! Didn't know that.
    Mine are exact copies of OEM F150
    Which to me look no thicker in the star area than the pic
    That you posted.
    I thought that I'd heard that the Empi had smaller balls.
    Wouldn't that mean they would be heavier between grooves and splines?
    Here is mine.

10. Collapse Details
    Rick, can you clear up the 5x4.75" Intrepid hub for us? Some people have said you offer it and some people say you don't. I honestly can't remember if we covered that in our conversation. Do you just redrill the Intrepid hub or are you actually having the hubs made in 5x4.75"?
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast