Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    to reverse or to not reverse
    my buggy will be mainly used in the sand dunes and what i wanna know is reverse really worth it? originally i was sold on using the rpm gearbox because it seemed like the best bang for my budget, but after not being able to sleep and reading through some post, i started rethinking my options. should i spend the extra cash and go with the fnr box or just run a sprocket set-up? please school me.

some what off topic, but does anybody have the link to that green rhino with the motorcycle engine and drive shaft to the rear axle?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: to reverse or to not reverse
    found the green rhino

New Trophy Rhino - race-dezert.com

3. Collapse Details
    The rear bearing carrier is still not free even if you do not choose the RPM gearbox. The difference is about $1,500.

Personally, reverse is mandatory in my opinion. Anytime you try to push a 1,200+ lb buggy by hand really sucks whether that is in the sand or dirt. At that point, you will have wished for the reverse.

I grew up on the old FL250 odysseys which weighed in at only 400 lbs. Pushing those around by hand sucked. I really loved the reverse in the FL400 Pilots when my brother got those. Even in the dunes, you will inevitably come up on a time where you want to stick it in reverse instead of going off a bad line.

Get the RPM.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    No question about it. You need reverse.

5. Collapse Details
    There are many reasons to have reverse and other than cost there is no reason not to have it. Just to get you on the Sand or dirt you gotta back off the trailer.

6. Collapse Details
    Every single freakin' time I pull my FL250 out of the garage...and pick up the front bumper to rotate it 180-degrees...by myself...deep down inside I say "Mother-effer, I need reverse!"

7. Collapse Details
    I don't have reverse, and haven't needed it but one or two times in the past 2 years.

I'm giving it a try in my next build, but it seems the 2 small sprockets create quite a bit of chain trouble for some.

If the trailer is a big problem, put a winch on the trailer and pull the buggy in backwards, then just drive out.

8. Collapse Details
    Spring Valley, CA (San Diego, East county)
    reverse!, when you get ready to start a new project and sell your buggy reverse is worth big bucks on the value of the car.

9. Collapse Details
    ok so reverse seems to be a must but how well does the reverse work in the rpm box? i thought i came across a couple of threads that said it pops out and is difficult to switch from front to reverse?

did anybody check out the link i posted? if i went with out reverse i was thinking of maybe turning the engine sideways and running a driveshaft to an axle. not saying im going to do it just brainstorming and weighing my options. any other links to were this was done? and how it worked out? i think it would be sweet to 4 link the rear like a mini pre-runner. the link i posted the guy used a vtx1800 that already is set up for a drive shaft but he did a not so great job of posting pics of the project. pretty cool either way.

by the end of this build im either going to be blind from looking at a computer screen, or in rehab for my addiction to buggies

10. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by swervedog19 View Post
    ok so reverse seems to be a must but how well does the reverse work in the rpm box? i thought i came across a couple of threads that said it pops out and is difficult to switch from front to reverse?
    Reverse works just fine in the RPM.

They can pop out of gear. Both forward and reverse. It's not a common thing, but it does happen. The trick is to find a shifter that you can lock into position. There's a thread around here somewhere about finding a shifter that works.

The box can be a bit hard to shift between F, N & R, but it's because of the design. The gears have to be aligned just right. If it's not wanting to shift, bump the throttle a tad, to get things moved a hair then work the lever into the direction you want to go. Just don't have the tranny spinning away while you try to do this, as it will take the beveled side edges off the sliding gear that selects F, N or R. As long as there's no load on the gear train, it's a pretty simple, easy shift.

One other thing that can go "bad", if you will, is if the oil gets dirty, the little itty bitty particles that float around in it can get into the shift fork, where it slides on a shaft. The shaft has detent grooves and there's a ball in the fork that is spring loaded that fits into these groves as the fork moves. If this stuff gets sticky, then shifting can be a bit of a biatch. Clean oil keeps this from happening.

There is a box that just showed up in the for sale section for grand. Go check that out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast