1. Collapse Details
    VW Axles and matching hubs or similar stock axles
    I am trying to source out what axles to use on my buggy, I am going to use a Subaru/Nissan differential, but am unsure of what hubs/uprights to run at the moment.

I am trying to keep the overall width of the buggy to a minimum, I would prefer 56", but am willing to stretch it out to 60". This means that the stock Subaru and Nissan axles are
    out of the picture, and I would prefer to avoid custom made units.

The Nissan diff's have a flange output, so I could pretty easily adapt them to 930/type 4/etc CV's. I know that these are available in a variety of different lengths online. At the moment, I think I will need something around the 14"-16" lg from the centre of one CV to the other.

Currently I am having trouble finding out which hubs match up with these axles. I really want to stick with a stock unit on these, and avoid the big beetle drum/hub assemblies. Can I get an EMPI micro-stub and mate it with something like a VW Jetta hub assembly?

Are there any other stock axle set-ups where I can get around 20-25 degrees from the CV's? I could make my suspension match the drivers side axle lg, and design around that.

I am running a 600cc/1000cc bike motor. Mainly in trails and forest service roads. I want to avoid quad/sxs components, and would like to stick with small car parts.

Thanks in advance.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: VW Axles and matching hubs or similar stock axles
    I keep seeing posts about Ford T-Bird aluminum housings with 930's. Maybe check that out!

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks,

I have seen those as well. I am not to concerned about the inner end, I am unsure about the outer end. As I cannot seem to find much information on what hub would fit a type 4 or 930 stub axle.

4. Collapse Details
    Expensive hubs! That is what fits my friend!

5. Collapse Details
    Thats what I thought, I guess I am stuck to digging through the junkyard to find something that will work.

I used golf hubs on a FSAE car, they worked quite well, I can't remember what CV's they used though.

6. Collapse Details
    Do a search for "Kludge" or "sand bug".He was using jetta/golf stuff and has some good info on them.

I think between the VW stuff like Kludge was using and the f-150 stuff BDKW1 is using,it should be pretty easy to cover just about every application.

Heres some pics from Kludges site, S@#T ! puter wont let me attach ,try searching for Kludge until i can.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

7. Collapse Details
    I searched and found his site, it is great.

Sand Bug #1 Project Page

There is a lot of really useful information on there. It looks as if I could get away with type 4 inners, the 45 deg outers, and a 16" cv to cv distance, which is nearly perfect for what I want to run.

Next goal is the find the bolt circle diameter for the stock and type 4 inner CV's.

Thanks!