Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tl 1000 engine to toyota mr2 gearbox.
    Just toying with the idea at the moment but my buggy has a toyota mr2 mk2 engine and auto gearbox at the moment and I am having lots of problems with the gearbox. So I am thinking of taking out the engine and box and putting in a manual shift mr2 gearbox (A good friend of mine has one) which will go stright in and no extra work for drive shafts/cv,s etc, then link the tl 1000 front sprocket shaft to the input shaft on the mr2 gearbox so no chain to worry about or need to tension.
    I am trying to work out the gear ratios to see which gear on the mr2 gearbox will give me a top speed of around 80 to 90 mph. Lets say the top speed is about 150 mph on the tl 1000 bike with standard 17/ 39 teeth sprockets (can't think how tall a tl 1000 tyre is) and the tyres I am running on the buggy are 29 inches tall. The gear and diff ratios of the mr2 gearbox are on here
    Toyota MR2 Technical Information Page

You might well ask why not just fit a manual gearbox to the mr2 engine, Well there are 2 reasons one is I already have 4 pedals, accelerator, break, and 2 fiddle brakes which is hard enough with only 2 feet so nowhere to put a clutch pedal and I cau fit a hand clutch to work with the bike engine just for pulling away. The second is I do not fancy sturring in a pot trying to find gears with a manual shift, a bike sequential shift will be better.

Or any one know much about the mr2 auto gearbox?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Tl 1000 engine to toyota mr2 gearbox.
    Ill sell you my fully built MCS motorsports gen3 2.2 stroker motor with a Gt3076r turbo on it for real cheap. The entire build has 300 miles on it and Im about to part out the car its in because nobody can get a loan on it for what Im asking. It has a manual tranny. If youre interested PM me. Ill give you the complete mod list.

3. Collapse Details
    You should talk to arrowhead he has connect a Busa motor to a Honda trans axle. He used a chain, but has so many gears to chose from 36 I think.
    Spencer

"Be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own"

4. Collapse Details
    Yes I have seen his post, just thinking this way will not have the problems of the fast running chain, My gearbox is the opposite hand not from a reverse rotation car like arrowheads honda gearbox. I think it can be done and work ok but in my buggy one of the suspension link mounting points will be in the way of the engine.
    I think it will need about 4 rotations of the bike engine output shaft(where front sprocket mounts) to one rotation of the wheels, so the car gearbox has a almost 4 to 1 diff ratio and forth gear is almost 1 to 1 that should be in the right ball park.
    Still trying to get the MR2 auto engine and box working for now (got a race next weekend!)Does anyone know where to get a workshop manual for a Toyota MR2 with 3s-ge engine and auto box

5. Collapse Details
    32 gears is too many

6. Collapse Details
    https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/welco...ce-oregon.html

Lol go check it out Syclone.

You don't shift thru 36 gears each time you drive it. Its just there if needed. You put the car tranny in the "range" gear you want and shift the bike motors six gears. If its geared too high or too low just snap the car tranny intop the next gear and go at it again.

Lee you need to see what Standfast has done with the enclosed oil bath chain. Cured his issues of frying chains it seemed and there is room to cool it more easy if needed/wanted.
    Last edited by nutz4sand; 09-18-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spullin
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

7. Collapse Details
    But is there a need for a chain? Without looking through the many pages of that thread I seem to remember the sprockets were close to one to one so why not juat drive stright in to the gearbox. Of coarse you could not do this with that honda gerabox because its the wrong hand.

I have now found that I can not do this because the engine case needs to be where one of my 5 link mounting points is so its back to plan A.
    See new thread, 2 800 rotax engines in buggy.

8. Collapse Details
    Yah a VW car front drive tranny would be more suited than the Honda for a motor bike engine straight in but it would be a VERY wide car. Plus the shaft on the one side would HAVE to be short due to the offset tranny.

I know you are working with what you have. Sometimes it seems to close, and yet so very far.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

9. Collapse Details
    I managed to get the toyota mr2 engine and box in with the diff almost in the center and used the fuel tank, battery and a few other bits to offset the weight. As you say so close but so far, just a small glitch in the wiring some where but can not get a wiring diagram for this jap import mr2. And yes working with what I have got, Got no money to spend at the moment. Its so frustrating, last time I raced it we were only 25 seconds slower over a 4 minute lap but we were going half the speed of some of the mega money cars up the strights so with some decent power I think we could be right up there. My buggy scores on tight turns and can hit the rough stuff without shutting off compared to many of the others, I must say though it was a bit of a wilde ride at times

10. Collapse Details
    Any pictures of what you're doin? Thanks. I'm thinking I might be doing something similar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast