Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    car transmission
    Question
    I have just started building my mini buggy, I decided I am going to use a gsxr 750 motor I found. but I am wondering about the transmission, because the bike doesn't have reverse I am thinking about using a car transmission. my dad has a 4 speed gm car transmission he said I could have, could this work? I want reverse and I think this is a cheap way to do it. I also have a porsche 944 transaxle i could use. can I use a motor Cycle engine with one of this tranys?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: car transmission
    Look up a post by Arrowhead in The Welcome Mat, many answers can be found there.

3. Collapse Details
    Welcome Austin

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/welco...ce-oregon.html

There is the link Jay mentioned. He uses a Honda tranny in it. The GM tranny faces the opposite direction of the Honda IF you are talking about a front wheel drive tranny. The Honda faces the same side as the typical bike motor with the sprocket on the left. If you happen to have a bike motor that the sprocket went down the right side the GM front drive tranny might be able to be used like Arrowheads.

Another person wanted to use a bike motor like your with the chain on the left and a GM type tranny. He wanted to couple right off the bike motors output shaft and striaght into the gm tranny with a straight coupler and no chain. The only problem with this is that the machine will have to be WIDE as the distances involved with the motor offset one side and the tranny the other.

As for the 944 tanny sure you could use it. Turn the motor sideways and get a dwarf car driveshaft adaptor or make one that can feed power off the bike motor output shaft into the trannies input shaft.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks alot guys, I think I am going to use the 944 trans axle with the cv axles I have. I need to look it over but I think It is solid and will do fine.

Thanks Austin

5. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Did the 944 use a rear located transmission like the 928 did? I can't remember.

a (space bar) lot. . . .

Somtimes I wonder..."Why is the frisbee getting bigger?" ...and then it hits me. <--- I laugh ever time I see this one.

6. Collapse Details
    K-fab (and others who may wonder) The 944 actually had a front engine setup with a driveshaft carrying full motor speed and power back to a rear tranny. Porsche felt this helped to balance the car. The tranny was a Porsche tranny with an adaptor.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

7. Collapse Details
    That's what I thought - just couldn't remember if they'd done that with the 944 or not. Porsche did it to maintain a close to 50/50 balance w/a front engine car and they always referred to the setup as giving the car high polar momentum (what ever that means.... - something to do with objects in motion and such).

I was a 928 buff back when I was in high school and owned a 928GTS back in 2000 - Knew just about everything about them, but alas, the memory's not so good at pulling up the little unimportant specs from stuff that was stored years and years ago.

Ah, one stupid fact that just came out of hiding: Porsche called the shaft between the engine and the tranny a "Prop Shaft". Go figure. It came off the clutch/flywheel and went back to the tranny, all inside a long tube that held the engine and tranny together. Somewhere I have a couple of old Porsche books floating around. Probably in a dusty box somewhere.
    Last edited by K-fab; 03-04-2009 at 10:52 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    yeah I just pulled the transaxle out and it seems it will work perfect

9. Collapse Details
    Good to hear that Austin. Start snapping pix when you start the build.

10. Collapse Details
    Wow, that seems like a better option than using the FWD car transmissions. Gets rid of the chain woes. How much power did those cars make from the factory?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast