Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Solid Works File Sharing
    Is anyone down to share solid works files? Common stuff like wheels, tires, seats, steering wheels, racks, engines, gearboxes, heims, spindles/uprights etc. I am just starting in solid works so I don't have alot to offer. I did however get some rough measurements of my RPM gearbox just before I sold it so I could put it into my next car I design so I have that to share. It doesn't have bolt holes or anything but it's size is accurate within about an 1/8" or so for placement and designing your frame around and locating your rear sprocket/clutch. Just rough files of engines would be nice to do the same thing. I guess just use winzip and attach the files. Seems to be the easiest way.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Solid Works File Sharing
    Are you planning on sharing native files? I use Solidedge and would be happy to share. Maybe a native file along with a STEP file would serve a wider base. I have nothing of real interest to share right now, other than design for my own parts.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm down for this!!! I've been looking for something like this for a while. I'm looking for shocks, tires, rims, micro-stub kits and heims.

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    I could add a forum under this one exclusively for solidworks/CAD files. The permissions can be set so new threads can be created and edited by registered members only with reply to threads disabled. This way the new forum is only a document library which keep the files consolidated in one place and not lost under an avalanche of new posts. All discussion on the files can remain in this forum.
    Currently on a two year walkabout

5. Collapse Details
    That sounds like a good idea Amergin. There is a lot of people here that want to design their own cars but it's pretty intimidating and time consuming at first with all the components to figure out. If we had a gaggle of common parts here it would make it much easier on everybody. In the end we get better built and designed mini's, less mistakes and material loss, more cars rolling around. Solid works is pretty easy to get if you know a few things on the computer. Sharing native files would not be a bad idea but why not just use solidworks?
    Last edited by standfast; 06-19-2008 at 02:32 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    I would love to see protodie share his spindle/upright/hub stuff. I doubt anyone would/could even copy that stuff cheaper than he already sells it. Being able to locate those outer suspension pivot points would make it alot easier for someone to design their suspension geometry around his parts and likely add to his sales. Just a thought from my standpoint because no one can one off pieces like that without paying double or more of what he charges.

I literally just started with solidworks and am able to use it for frame design ideas. I still have ALOT to learn but it is already proving itself quite useful to get the look I am after. A frame is suprisingly easy to draw actually. Just a 3d sketch in lines of the frame and then use the weldment tool on everything to turn it into tubing. We can also use the new forum for teaching eachother how to use solidworks. Like I said, I have a lot to learn but I am sure I could help others to just get started drawing thier frame. Here is what I played with last night for awhile trying to get ideas and learn the program.
    Last edited by standfast; 06-19-2008 at 03:04 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Down like a clown cha ...cha..
    Down like a clown Cha..Charlie Brown.
    Awesome idea.I love using SW.I don't have it anymore but plan on it in the future and would definitely contribute.I do have some stuff on a disk somewhere,from my last job(where i used it)so I'll look for that.
    Nice looking frame Standfast.

8. Collapse Details
    I'll go back through the old threads and make copies of posts with drawing files attached. There's not much on the site but some have contributed. What I need is a GSXR 600 engine for SW.
    Currently on a two year walkabout

9. Collapse Details
    Re: RPM Gearbox for Solidworks
    Quote Originally Posted by standfast View Post
    Is anyone down to share solid works files? Common stuff like wheels, tires, seats, steering wheels, racks, engines, gearboxes, heims, spindles/uprights etc. I am just starting in solid works so I don't have alot to offer. I did however get some rough measurements of my RPM gearbox just before I sold it so I could put it into my next car I design so I have that to share. It doesn't have bolt holes or anything but it's size is accurate within about an 1/8" or so for placement and designing your frame around and locating your rear sprocket/clutch. Just rough files of engines would be nice to do the same thing. I guess just use winzip and attach the files. Seems to be the easiest way.

EDIT: Standfast is our first contributor for the new MBN document repository. Renamed thread to reflect file.

You have that in .igs or .stp format? I don't have a solidworks part file converter for my CAD :<(

EDIT: Moved and merged this post from the document library to here. Members can not reply to threads in the File Library.
    Last edited by amergin; 06-21-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Moved/Merged post

10. Collapse Details
    rowyco,

I added a IGS version to the zip folder in that thread. HTH

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast