Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tube Frame in solid works
    Hello,

*I just recently got my hands on a copy of solid works and I am slowly trying to learn it. *I have a bit of cad experience mostly ProE and am finding solid works pretty easy thus far. *My experience lies on mainly in modeling rotating machinery(at work) and i have never done any tube structures. *In fact I haven't really even modeled a line with a complex run. *What are some of the best practices when constructing say... a mini buggy frame in solid works.

Should I sketch each tube one and a time and run sweeps?
    Should I make each tube as a separate part and assemble the structure(Haven't tried any assembly's yet)
    Is it a good idea to use the weldment/structural member tools (I messed around with that a little seems like the way to go, are there pitfalls to this?)

I know that there are many ways to go about this stuff and I am just looking for just some general input based on your experiences modeling tube structures in solid works. *

Thanks for you input

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Tube Frame in solid works
    Welcome to MBN!

I have drawn many tube frames in SolidWorks. By far the easiest way to do it is using the Weldments/Structural Member feature. I make a new part, sketch out the whole frame using a combination of 2d and 3d sketches, then use the structural member feature to create the tubes. If you wanted it to be really precise, you could make each tube a separate part (by using Structural Members to get the tube and then cut the ends correctly) and assemble them together, but that would be a lot more work.
    Last edited by minibajaman; 07-07-2010 at 01:10 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Not the mention the assembly would be huge when complete. Lots of memory overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by minibajaman
    If you wanted it to be really precise, you could make each tube a separate part (by using Structural Members to get the tube and then cut the ends correctly) and assemble them together, but that would be a lot more work.
    Last edited by minibajaman; 07-07-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Currently on a two year walkabout

4. Collapse Details
    You wanna share that copy of Solid Works ? *

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay1823\";p=\"50197
    You wanna share that copy of Solid Works ? *
    Have you ever used torrents to download stuff? *You can get it pretty easily that way. *Not that I would know or anything .

6. Collapse Details
    Ya know what i tried to do the torrent thing recently but i was getting confused as hell. Some stuff about post forwarding and static ip address's. I don't want to jack my computer up trying to do all thsi stuff and not be able to put it back. I was gonna try it on my laptop but it's being an a-hole and not wanting to connect to the internet, that and it would literally take a week to download somethign of that size. I just want an easy way to steal my software *

7. Collapse Details
    me too. *I was able to find several solid works files but none of them would install. Maybe cause of Vista? *Crap!

8. Collapse Details
    I draw almost every part of a buggy except standard parts,then do assembly just like a real work,Of course it takes a lot of time;for mass production,it worth.to do such kind of job,you have to accumulate drawing experiences for many years,obiously not fit for your DIY job
    Attached drawing took 2 weeks design,and some parts(engine,human,tyres ---)are already in my databank as drawn before
    I draw much more than I talk

9. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Wonderful work Hodala. *

10. Collapse Details
    You are so kind , K-fab
    I'm glad to find MBN, a site not commercial minded. people show their toys and share their experiences just for hobbies,seems impossible to a design desert and serious fortune chasing region where I live and work.
    Nearly 2 decades ago,first time I saw mini buggy pictures in a ATV magazine, coincident to my young dream
    If not busy,I'd like to share and exchange knowhow in drawing and building if anybody interested in
    I draw much more than I talk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast