Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tom's Long travel Update
    Well i have been progressing on my second build design, seems to be coming along nicely. Iv had a few problems along the way, but most are sorted out for now. One thing i am still trying to figure out though is that the front suspension is still not bottoming out before the frame touches the ground. One way i could sort this would be to go with higher travel shocks and run lots of sag and add limit straps on both a arms. What do you guys think?

I'm still trying to decide if to go 4wd. Either way i have designed the buggy to accept a diff at the front, i think the major determining factor would be trying to find suitable setup which would be tolerant enough to allow the cv's flex without binding.

I have attached some pictures to see what you guys think (Note: pictures are from various stages so i will try to not skip around too much)

^^^Here i am showing the buggys minimum ride height i want at 5" with the left wheel and the right wheel showing max travel (with no weight added)

^^^ you can see in this picture that i have deliberately extended the shock to max travel to show how much travel is compressed compared to extra travel which i am trying to destroy. In this picture you can see that i have just under 1/2 travel left in the shock and the wheel is at the min clearance i want (5")

^^ this picture shows max travel of the shock, you can see that the wheel is quite a bit over the frame which would make for some hard landings LOL.

^^^ This picture shows basically a close up of how the wheel is above the frame. Its not by much but i can imagine it hurting!

^^^^ from another perspective.

^^^^ This picure is basicly the up-to-date version of the buggy, still has issues but i love the look of it!

^^^ another view of the up-to-date model.

The rear end with added cv's and a new diff which will give the option of 4wd. (iv still not figured out how to drive the diff though yet)

All comments welcome!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Tom's Long travel Update
    How long are those shocks?

As far as shock mounting goes, did you begin with the car at ride height, say at 40% droop then select a shock and shock mounting position that meets your intended ground clearance at compression and CV articulation at full droop?

Nice looking design.

3. Collapse Details
    Where will the front driveshafts go if you wanted to make it 4wd? Seems to me lIke the shock might get in the way?? Otherwise, looks great!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    How long are those shocks?

As far as shock mounting goes, did you begin with the car at ride height, say at 40% droop then select a shock and shock mounting position that meets your intended ground clearance at compression and CV articulation at full droop?

Nice looking design.
    Thanks for the compliment Gene,

The shocks are the 16" Fox 2.0 air shocks. No i did not begin with the shocks at 40% droop, i rather started at full droop where my cv angles would not bind (around 32 degrees decline of the a arms in the rear, as i want to use extended 930cv's) and worked my way into fitting the large shocks into the buggy and kinda guessing the dimensions at full compression (not the best way lol). I have found out though that if i flip my laser cut suspension mount, the angles fit perfectly. Although this does not look visually appealing, so i am going to drop the frame upon which this part fits onto, then add smaller shocks (maybe around the 12" fox 2.0 shocks as the 16" shocks will exceed my 32 degree decline). If this does not work I will try your suggestion, as it seems much more logical by adjusting the A arm mount.

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Where will the front drive-shafts go if you wanted to make it 4wd? Seems to me lIke the shock might get in the way?? Otherwise, looks great!
    Thanks Matt.

Yes you are right, I would have to move the suspension mounts to the upper arm, I may even extend the width of the lower A arm and offset the shock so that it does not intersect the front drive shaft if i am going that route.

5. Collapse Details
    Update 22nd December 2011.

I added some new wheels and fine tuned some geometry, i have still not got around to the 4wd setup yet but tell me what you think.

^ Full droop on all 3 wheels and an added flex ramp for a little bit of realism

^ From the front, just a little better view of the amount of travel I'm able to achieve.

^ Full Flex

^ i love this pic

^ from the rear

^ looking down the side at full flex.

^ this is ride height at 40% sag.

^ close up

^ ride height is 14"

6. Collapse Details
    Nice job, Very impressive work.

7. Collapse Details
    Very cool!Love the look of the frame.

Growing up my uncle had VW rails with the old school hoop in the front.

Modeling is awesome!

Any pics of just the frame?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you Rick, It is very gratifying a builder like you praises my work, just like i admire your build. Im still 50/50 on either building an AR51 or this design. I'm still in the process of gathering my new tools (I just bought a welder for my Christmas present ) so this will give me time to think over and defiantly make sure i am going the right route.

Bullnerd i couldn't agree more, i love modelling too, stretching the mind and creating new designs just gives me a thrill, just like when i see other custom builds from builders on this forum, just so awesome!

Here is some renders of the frame you requested.

9. Collapse Details
    Wow Tom beautiful design. Im new to buggys, so could someone share what it takes to go from your model, to a set of plans for a build. I'll buy a set tomorrow. What a great christmas present. merry christmas everyone.

10. Collapse Details
    Thank you Fab,

I am truly happy with my design and Xmas present for myself lol.

Plans will not be available for this build unfortunately, not unless i build it and i am positive (110% correct) that all my geometry and laser cut parts can fit perfect into the frame with absolute no issues and the buggy drives like a dream. Even then i'm not to sure when they would be complete lol. Maybe sometime.... But i have many years ahead so i want to learn about EVERYTHING before jumping into the deep end.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Ps. i just opened my Christmas present early, and shes a beauty . Too bad i have to wait like 2 weeks before the electrician can wire in a 220v outlet in my garage

I may have some pictures up soon when i get some free time lol Minibuggy.net and CAD just take up all my spare time
    Last edited by Tom; 12-24-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast