Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Aftershock Formula Cross
    I was waiting until closer to release to make this information available, but certain events have prompted a statement.

Aftershock Motorsports purchased the remnants of Hawk Motorsports who owned the rights, fixtures and body molds to the Formula Cross originally built by Drakart. The reason for not making it public right away was I did not want to get flooded with questions of 'When will you start production?', etc. There is a great deal of work before I can even make a valid estimate for that. Certain parts of the cars were being purchased by Hawk from Drakart Inc. Drakart Inc has refused to sell those parts to Aftershock. Therefore, alternate solutions must be found. I have taken this as an opportunity to address short comings of the car. The main one is CV life. The cars will have a new gearbox, axles, rear bearing carriers and hubs. The flange to flange distance on the gear box is less and the outer CVs are shoved farther outward. Both provide for longer axles. The earlier cars handled better than the later cars. The last cars had revised geometry to reduce plunge. Handling was sacrificed for reliability. With the longer axles, we will be able to go back to the old geometry, yet minimal plunge and lower max CV angle. Every year Formula Cross was geared too high. The Hawk ones with the Arctic Cat 660 were the best due to the lower RPM range of that engine. I am gearing the car down to match up theoretical top speed and actual improving the out of the hole performance.

Bugpac has been sub contracted to make the first batch of bodies. The molds had some damage which Bug repaired. He is also prototyping a seamed version of the roof/quarters so it is shippable for replacements.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Aftershock Formula Cross
    I can't wait,I have wanted these buggies made again for a long time.I still think this was Drakarts best buggy they ever made.They did have some different lengths of the buggy,some formula cross buggies were shorter then others.I like the bigger one myself.I hope it isn't to long before they are in production?

3. Collapse Details
    Congratulations on your business venture Livewire. Will you use standard 930 CV's or a FWD CV and plunging axle? Looks as though there will be competition in midwest racing!

4. Collapse Details
    I will be using FWD CVs with a plunging axle. The suspension geometry exceeds the angle of Porshe 930 CVs. I have reduced the angle that will be needed, but just for increased life, still not within the limits of the 930 joints though.

5. Collapse Details
    Livewire have you talked with the guys are Rockford CV and to see what they can come up with? *You could probably get some sort of FWD CV setup that gets the angle and plunge you need without a plunging axle. *Given the nature of the 3 link I would think the plunge shouldn't be so extreme that a plunging axle is required. *Maybe it's just me but I really don't like the plunging axles if they can be at all avoided.

Edit - Oh yeah, congrats on the acquisition. *I think you'll do a good job with the cars and hope everything works out for you.

6. Collapse Details
    Awesome and congrats.
    And nice to hear Bugs able to help out and working on the body so we
    know it will be done good.

Well cool cant wait to see when you get your first one all done after you work
    through all the small bugs.

Good luck and keep us posted.

7. Collapse Details
    Tut i'm suprised that you haven't tried something like these?You are in the industry and always seem to be building new things?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by minibajaman\";p=\"63467
    Livewire have you talked with the guys are Rockford CV and to see what they can come up with? *You could probably get some sort of FWD CV setup that gets the angle and plunge you need without a plunging axle. *Given the nature of the 3 link I would think the plunge shouldn't be so extreme that a plunging axle is required. *Maybe it's just me but I really don't like the plunging axles if they can be at all avoided.

Edit - Oh yeah, congrats on the acquisition. *I think you'll do a good job with the cars and hope everything works out for you.
    I have called and talked to Rockford several times. The solution they would have provided was their Porsche 930 bolt pattern fixed joint. By fixed joint, I mean non-plunging that can handle very large angles. The shafts would then need a slip spline which they also could provide. I think Gene used these? Trouble is, I never got any results. I have also left phone messages and sent emails. I have never gotten a call back or email with a quote. I am buying the CVs from somewhere else that returned my calls and emailed me spline dimensions the day after first contact. The axle blanks will be machined in house then sent out for the splines and finally get hardened. I think plunging axles get a bad rap because they are capable of high plunge so people take advantage of that. The trouble is that the more plunge you have, the faster the splines need to slide relative to the suspension movement. I will use a slip spline, but maintain minimal plunge. I just have to take up that plunge somewhere and the CVs can't. The last Formula Cross axle design was to let the splines slide in the CV race. I don't like that approach for several reasons. Those splines are not designed to slide. Parallel sided splines slide easier. So do larger diameter ones and longer length. The earlier Formula Cross axles used slip splines. They had a lot of plunge. There was also an issue with there being a low volume inside the female spline. So the air was compressed significantly putting side load on the CVs. Instead of having a short female shaft half and a long male, I am making mine with a short male and the female spline is inside a tube. With a large air pocket in the tube behind the spline, air pressure will not increase significantly with plunge. The slip spline will have 3" long engagement throughout travel. They are 20 count splines.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the positive comments from all.

10. Collapse Details
    Just get the prototype done so we can give you our comments then,lol...We can't wait???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast