Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: more honda "race" radiator questions ???
    I've seen radiators in all kinds of weird places that you'd think wouldn't get very good airflow... Behind the seat seems like one of those places. I see them facing sideways on the frame too. Does this hurt cooling performance at all? The fan is still there, but free-flowing air through the fins would help keep it much cooler. Why would you put it in a place that doesn't get much airflow?

2. Collapse Details
    I would agree with you. When we were doing this, me and my dad (we are building 2 identical buggies) pondered where to put the rads. Because the cherokee radiator is wide, it is not like it is stuffed behind a single seat like a honda or stock rad. It is wide enough that with a small amount of duct work it will pull large areas from both sides of the seat, as well as from between the seats. Because the rad is short, it allows the rad to be set back further from the seats in our case. My dad had a wide rad behind the seats in his old 2.8 V6 buggy and he had no problems at all with cooling.

We also thought about putting it between the bars like on Yoshi's rails, but I had this in a VW (yes water cooled) buggy I built, and I found the way it blocks visibuility very annoying. Whenever I was in the lead ahead of my dad, I couldn't look back over my right shoulder as the rad completely blocked my view. And with us rat racing on trips it meant at times I lost my dad as he got stuck or off the trail, and then a lot of back tracking to find him.

I have also seen the guys that mount the radiator sideways and while it obviously works for some people, you are correct that you are relying primarily on the fan.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by grant_wt View Post
    I would agree with you. When we were doing this, me and my dad (we are building 2 identical buggies) pondered where to put the rads. Because the cherokee radiator is wide, it is not like it is stuffed behind a single seat like a honda or stock rad. It is wide enough that with a small amount of duct work it will pull large areas from both sides of the seat, as well as from between the seats. Because the rad is short, it allows the rad to be set back further from the seats in our case. My dad had a wide rad behind the seats in his old 2.8 V6 buggy and he had no problems at all with cooling.

We also thought about putting it between the bars like on Yoshi's rails, but I had this in a VW (yes water cooled) buggy I built, and I found the way it blocks visibuility very annoying. Whenever I was in the lead ahead of my dad, I couldn't look back over my right shoulder as the rad completely blocked my view. And with us rat racing on trips it meant at times I lost my dad as he got stuck or off the trail, and then a lot of back tracking to find him.

I have also seen the guys that mount the radiator sideways and while it obviously works for some people, you are correct that you are relying primarily on the fan.

4. Collapse Details
    Not to hijack this thread (mods feel free to move) but has anyone ever tried using multiple radiators? The motor for the RC51 going into my buggie has two radiators which are small. Works great for the bike I'm sure, but what about using three or four of these type of radiators? One or two could be used where air flow is ideal, but not completely block rearward visability and the others could be mounted out of the way (sideways, lower, etc). Just a thought...

5. Collapse Details
    I thought about that, but then I thought about the extra strain it might have on the water pump adding more rads to the loop. Never know until you give it a shot though...

6. Collapse Details
    You don't need anything larger than the Civic radiator to cool a street bike motor. If you felt unsure about the size of the rad i'd use some sheet metal around the front of the rad to direct as much air through it, install a fan and your good to go. My rad did fine on ym turbo car until i pushed it hard, yes you'll be pushing your bike motor hard but it's also a smaller engine. I still think you'd be better off buying a name brand rad than the China made rad.

7. Collapse Details
    Overworking the waterpump....

So the waterpump spins off of the engine, not sure exaclty what shaft it comes from, but it varies with RPM.

The pump doesn't care how much volume there is, just the restriction it needs to work against. If you start putting a great deal of restriction in the circuit, then the pump will not work efficiently. There would be more restriction with one small radiator (or several small in series) than in a larger radiator.

I had a radiator larger than the stock bike, but it was dual pass (the inlet and outlet are on the same side). It over heated all the time. I replaced it with a single pass radiator for a small block V8. I run it as hard as I can in 110 and never turn the fan on. I have more volume, less restricion and a greater area for the air to flow across.

8. Collapse Details
    I bought a civic aluminum dual core radiator off eBay $47 for my zx14. And had to run the fan once it got to operating temp. Then I bought a crx dual core aluminum and am going to install that soon.

9. Collapse Details
    I'm using a jeep (china) aluminum radiator, it's wide and have it sitting in the back, made a wing. if I roll the car, it's going to be damaged so hopefully I won't roll. with a side mirror on each side I can keep an eye on what's behind me. currently I have a single fan, should be plenty but room for a second if I put a turbo on and start making more heat.

10. Collapse Details
    If you're worried about not enough flow from the pump then plumb your two smaller radiators in parallel rather than serial - that reduces the restriction massively.
    The main problem with radiator sizing is it depends what you're doing with the buggy, a little civic radiator with a single fan might be fine on a v6 buggy if all your doing is running trails and the the odd full throttle blast - the thermal mass will be enough to stop high peaks, same if it's a dunes car with easy running on the sand and the odd run flat out - it's not that heavy on duty cycle and you've got plenty of airspeed.

On the other hand, if you're racing it over mud or soft clay, and it sinks in a bit, you might be using every single horsepower you've got just to push the thing along at 40mph, and you might be doing it for a long time, same if you're playing around trees in a forest with cutting brakes - you're using a lot of power with little airflow - that's when you start needing to bolt on radiators designed for 600bhp Skylines, ducting air to them and strapping a pair of shrouded 16" fans to the back.
    If I ran that little Civic fan and rad on mine it would have been cooked in minutes

The only correct answer I'm afraid is - it depends.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast