Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cooling fan questions
    Ok, this has been at the back of my mind, and now is the time to start sorting out the parts I need…my ECU turns the fan relay on at ~216*, according to the stock gauge cluster. The radiator I’m using in the buggy is a full size car radiator, capable of mounting a pair of 10” or 12” fans. I did notice when testing, 216* is pretty hot, and using one fan hooked up the stock relay, the relay and regulator/rectifier go noticeably hotter.

So, I was thinking of doing the following. Use a temp sensor switch rated much lower, like ~195* to switch on fan #1, then using the stock wiring and stock fan relay to activate another relay to activate fan #2 at ~216. The other relay will be wired ‘outside’ of the stock wiring harness, so all the stock system is doing is powering the relay. The fans will also turn on staggered, as not to overload the electrical system. Also, I don’t think I would want to have both fans running at the same time for an extended period.

So my questions:

Is staggering when my fans turn on a stupid idea?
    Does using the stock fan relay to activate another relay sound ok? Would anybody try this, or avoid this completely?
    Since I’m using 2 fans, and staggering when they come on, 1 fan will be on more than the other. Should that fan be mounted closer to the input or output on the radiator?
    What size fans? A pair of 10”? A pair of 12”? One of each?
    I’m just trying to figure things out…your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Cooling fan questions
    Honestly, I would run a single fan as big as you can fit. Derale has some high performance and ultra performance fans that are reasonably priced. The low temp switch would be a good idea. As for the relay, I would invest in a higher rated relay and run new larger cables to reduce the draw and heat. Make sure the connections are good, clean, and tight, especially the ground for the relay and the fan. Are you running the stock bike relay?

Running 2 relays from one signal would work for the smaller fans, I am not sure why you would want to stagger them with different temp switches, if one fan works half as well as it should, the other should not even run, unless you are in extreme heat or idling for extended times. At this point, again, a single fan would suffice. Without knowing the particulars of your engine, it is hard to recommend a CFM rating, but I am sure a decent 12-14" fan would suffice.

As for the rectifier temp, you may want to move it to a better location to help keep it cool. They do get hot, and most bikes put them right out in the open moving air for that reason. May also want to look at a heavy duty rectifier and make sure the stator can handle the added draw. what size battery are you running?
    ASE and Toyota Master
    Buggy building Trainee

3. Collapse Details
    The rate of heat transfer between the radiator and air decreases as they approach the same temperature. So if you do not have a shroud for the radiator, put the fan at the hottest point on the radiator, i.e. near the inlet.

4. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    I am runnin a single 10" fan takes up a good 45 per cent of the rad .What I noticed was when I was nonturbo it had ta be above 90 before it would kick in .But with the Turbo it runs alot more . My fan failed to kick in the first ride last week I found the problem but also wired in a switch to turn the fan on when I want . Besides I have a fan wired to the ,that has ta be on all the time any how .. More switches makes yer ride more like a rocket ride LOL
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

5. Collapse Details
    A few thoughts and suggestions: Engine OEM's spend an ungodly amount of money testing/tuning engines under all loads/environmental conditions. Stick with what the OEM recommends, if its 216F, no need to change it even if the engine is in a sandrail (it doesn't know the difference). You just need to select a radiator and fan that will remove the heat. No need to run dual fans these days, get a large one and run with it. Spal (or other aftermarket) makes a large selection of fans, both pusher and puller styles. Whatever fan you use, check to see the wire gauge and relay will support the current draw. Also check the fan current/power draw and make sure the existing circuit (fuse included) will support it. If you are leveraging the OEM wiring and relay, it may be limited depending on what fan you select. If you are making a completely separate circuit, you will have more freedom, but there are limitations to everything.

As a point of reference, I have a hayabusa rail with a 12 inch spal fan and a decent size radiator. It works like a champ and does not cycle constantly.

Another thing to consider is Waterwetter or similar additives, they do help with the cooling system.

Hope this helps with your design process.

6. Collapse Details
    I bought one of those automotive thermally adjustable fan controllers because I need more power and wanted the ability to tune temps. The single gsxr relay was really just marginalbwhen I measured load and start up current, I would worry about the wiring too not really being set up for that much load. I set mine to cycle at about 190F as opposed to the factory 212F. I have a hard time hearing or telling when it cycles, butbit holds it constant withba civic sized rad and single 18" fan. I might turn it to a higher temp, but kind of like the 190 range as opposed to 210s.

7. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Martin,
    Do you have a link to that temp adjustable control?

I've been bookmarking every trick item the members of MBN are using for the Mini-Raptor...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Martin,
    Do you have a link to that temp adjustable control?

I've been bookmarking every trick item the members of MBN are using for the Mini-Raptor...
    I don't recall which brand I bought but it was very similar to:

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/der-16759

or

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hda-3647

Instruction sheet
    http://static.summitracing.com/globa...s/hda-3647.pdf

I can't recall but it does have a very similar control box and external probe you slip into the radiator fins as the above. Instruction sheet for the Hayden looks familiar. I only used one of the fan channels and did not use the ac switching. i have mine set at about 190 right now which has the fan going more regularly in this hot weather. Default it started kicking on at about 180-185 so I bumped it up a little. That's still a bit cooler than the OEM 212F switch point per my gsxr service manual, but it seems like good operating point is 180-220 and I wanted to stay a bit on the cooler side out of personal preference just because I could.. Even when driving in 99F weather at most I saw 192F.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 07-13-2014 at 02:40 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Does any one make a temp fan switch that comes on at 190 or 195 degrees that would fit the early model Honda radiators?

Project X

10. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Project X View Post
    Does any one make a temp fan switch that comes on at 190 or 195 degrees that would fit the early model Honda radiators?
    If I recall correctly, the German Barracuda thread had a temp programmable setup that went in line in the radiator hose. Might be worth a look into his thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast