Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hayabusa cooling problem in the dunes
    Ok I drive my busa rail on the street most of the time and havenít had any cooling problems. Last summer when I was in Oklahoma Little Sahara Sand Dunes I had some overheating problems. At first I thought it was because it was 106 degrees or more every time I went, but then I was low on antifreeze every time I came back to park and could see it was leaking out the overflow. So I thought it was because I wasnít running the overflow bottle. I have the overflow mounted and hooked up and it still overheats in the dunes. I also tried two different radiator caps. This year at Silverlakes sand dunes I had the same problem and it was cooler out than it was in Oklahoma.
    The fan is blowing out the back as it should and I even wired it to stay on all the time and I still had the overheating problem. I am not loosing antifreeze anymore. If you know silverlakes dunes its a one way loop. I climb 6 or 7 dunes then go through long whoops then loop back on the flats where it is wetter sand then up a hill across the top and then over some small dunes back to the start at test hill. I donít baby my rail at all. I ride it hard jumping dunes, running some high rpms and on the flats I am probably hitting 80mph or more. The temp usually starts climbing up in the flats, just before it gets to the red if I stop and let it idle for 3-5 minutes it will come back down to the middle or norm. Then it may do it again in the first part of the dunes and I have to stop again and let it idle. If I take a break and let it cool down totally, it will last longer. Also I have tried just going slow through the flats and it still climbs to overheating. Once it starts climbing above the norm or middle itís like the only way to cool it down is to let it idle.
    The radiator has a shroud. My oil cooler is mounted in front of the radiator and the gas tank is in front of everything. I am thinking I am not getting enough air through the radiator because of the gas tank and the oil cooler, but why is it fine on the street and at idle? I guess because itís working twice as hard in the sand.
    I am thinking about putting a fan on the oil cooler or running a scoop between the seat headrest with duct work forcing more air down to the radiator. I have seen people had to but an external water pump to help circulate the water better but not sure thats my problem?
    Here are some pics what do you guy think?

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Hayabusa cooling problem in the dunes
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Your fuel tank blockin off 60% of your air flow aint helpin ya none . Duct work would help ya but what would realy help ya is if it would be poss to mount the rad a good 8in higher. If not , duct work is worth a try. On mine I used to have the three K&N s right behind the rad and I mean close 1/2 in or so my fan would kick in a lot more than now
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

3. Collapse Details
    The radiator I have on my Coyote (Hayabusa) is 3 inches behind the stock air filter, similar type blockage. It is also 24 inches wide, about 14 inches tall with a similar fan size (based on what I can see in the pics you have). On my last trip, I ran the rail upwards of 70 mph up and down the dunes, back and forth, never did it get much over the midspan of the gauge.

Rat's comment about blockage is well taken, I suspect the reason I can get away with what I have is that the radiator is bigger and the air box blocks only part of the radiator. I also have an oil cooler on the rail which is placed so that it has nothing blocking airflow in front of it. The other thing to check is the thermostat and make sure you have the right pressure radiator cap. Check with others and see what size radiator they are running, you might need to go up in size.

4. Collapse Details
    Your fan appears to be rated at only 80 watts. I was running one with 150 watts on my 750 with a Civic radiator, and I could bring the temps up to 230 on hard runs across the dunes. Without direct flow, your fan has to do all the work.

You might try to find a higher flow Spal fan. I have one in the new buggy, and it really keeps the temps down with a hayabusa engine, even without direct air flow. I am running a dual pass PWR radiator, though.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

5. Collapse Details
    Try moving the gas tank temparally and see what happens. Take it out and run it off a gas can maybe.
    Looks to me it's block probably more than 60 % of your air flow!

6. Collapse Details
    My CBR600F4 overheats with the same radiator with direct flow. You might need to step up the radiator size or get the 3 row version of the Del Sol radiator. They're around $110 on eBay

7. Collapse Details
    I would try lifting it as rat says if possible ,,as well as shielding so that the already hot radiant air from the engine cant go through it ,,as simple as a rubber flap on mine made a huge difference.
    Talon's YouTube Channel

Adapt what is usefull , reject what is useless and add what is your own.........Bruce Lee

8. Collapse Details
    I canít lift it much and if I did then the tank will be blocking the oil cooler and the bottom 60% of the radiator. Also I canít mimic the problem here, it only happens at the sand dunes and they are 7 hrs away.

9. Collapse Details
    I wonder how close it is to being over heated on the street too? I know you said it runs OK there but what if it is simply not enough of a radiator for your engine. Others above have suggested this as well.

Try adding a second smaller radiator either in front or behind that radiator (in the cooling lines not airflow of course) to see if that gets rid of enough heat to meet the engines sand cooling needs.

I would also put a chain guard under the radiator, oil cooler, and gas tank. If that chain breaks (and I can see links that are already binding up) it will be a big ($$$) mess thats potentially dangerous!
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hermie View Post
    I canít lift it much and if I did then the tank will be blocking the oil cooler and the bottom 60% of the radiator.
    Leave the oil cooler down there. Maybe give it it's own fan. Stacking coolers really hurts efficiency.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast