Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Paralytic (how to make a hand control steering wheel)
    I am making this a sticky because on page 2 it shows and describes a steering wheel conversion for paraplegics so they can convert from foot to hand controls.

Many thanks to Stress for his contribution. Gene

And now the original post from Keiser:

Ok I am looking at converting a mini buggy so that all the controls (ie throttle, brake, gear shift and steering of course? are on the steering wheel. I am a paraplegic and wanna get into this fine sport but need some direction. As I am also not very mechanically minded I am looking for options that may already be out there - if that is at all possible. I was thinking a W shaped sterring wheel the likes that are installed in F1 cars - and using one of the uprights to connect a bike throttle to (twister type). I guess the brake could be connected in much the same way. But how/where do I connect the gear shift?

Your thoughts will be appreciated?

Travis

Cop Say's "Get out of the car please sir!"

Paraplegic Slurrs "I can't officer!"

Cops retorts "why the !@#$ not! Don't give me attitude or I will put your ass in jail!"

Paraplegic says "I am paraletic.. oops... errr.... paraplegic"

True Story
    Last edited by minibajaman; 01-20-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: To make a sticky and describe why . . .

2. Collapse Details
    re: Paraletic (how to make a hand control steering wheel)
    Honda pilot or oddysey, many paraplegic people use them, no clutch or gears rev and go with your thumb and 2 levers for the brakes. A guy on here has just modified a redline revolt also.

3. Collapse Details
    Have a look at this Webby Talents

And this is the redline https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/show-...ew-revolt.html

Oh and welcome!

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks Lee... your buggies look good. Unfortunately Redline products are unheard of in Australia. Oddysees and Pilots are rare also. I have put a deposit on an Edge Piranha. Not really wanting to back out of the deal either. I can drive the buggy with normal hand controls not a problem. The only problem is shifting gears. Although I have never been in the situation I could forsee where you would need to have both hands on the wheel steering and braking and changing gears. So this is fairly important. I have seen steering wheels with paddle shift - this would be ideal, having a throttle on the steering wheel like a motorcycle as well would be the icing on the cake.

5. Collapse Details
    What engine does the edge piranha have in it? Could you just have 1 brake lever for all 4 wheels, say on your right hand and a gear lever mounted on the steering column which you push forwards and pull back to change gear with a clutch lever mounted on it.

6. Collapse Details
    welcome Travis, and good luck on the project.

1. paraletic This 'word' is derived from a widespread mispronunciation of the word 'paralytic' and means extremely drunk.
    Although widely used this word does not exist in the written form.
    We all had too much to drink at John's wedding and got absolutely 'paraletic'

2. paraletic Being so off your face pissed that you can't walk, can't talk properly and in the case of my experience being utterly unable to control your own actions

Clay Watson
    Kustom Kar Audio
    Boulder,CO
    alt.6000'

7. Collapse Details
    keiser. You have to watch what you use for hand controls if there is a rack & pinion used for steering, most have at least 1 revolution from lock to lock.

8. Collapse Details
    I have heard MANY times that sleds are rare to nonexistant in Australia but you may look into those IF there are ANY aorund you. Make the cockpit wider to clear the handlebars and the gas and brake are already mounted on the handlebars. Just gotta extend the connections.
    No shifting.

As for steering with handlebars you can use a rack (I hate that word) with a steering quickener or build a swingset and set it up like a quad to steer. There is another way I am working on that I need to prove first but I think it will be far better than both a rack or a typical quad setup.

How much power are you wanting in your ride? What kind of terrain do you have to ride on??

If you still WANT to shift Rortys got some plans on this site that will take a bike motor and he even has plans for a paddle shifter on the steering wheel (butterfly shaped) Heck hes in Australia too. I know the place is big but how cool if you and him were close?

Rorty Design Home

Check out that link and look for the steering paddle shifters.
    Last edited by nutz4sand; 11-29-2008 at 11:36 AM.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kar Audio Guy View Post
    welcome Travis, and good luck on the project.

1. paraletic This 'word' is derived from a widespread mispronunciation of the word 'paralytic' and means extremely drunk.
    Although widely used this word does not exist in the written form.
    We all had too much to drink at John's wedding and got absolutely 'paraletic'

2. paraletic Being so off your face pissed that you can't walk, can't talk properly and in the case of my experience being utterly unable to control your own actions
    I'm aware of the definition...

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4sand View Post
    I have heard MANY times that sleds are rare to nonexistant in Australia but you may look into those IF there are ANY aorund you. Make the cockpit wider to clear the handlebars and the gas and brake are already mounted on the handlebars. Just gotta extend the connections.
    No shifting.

As for steering with handlebars you can use a rack (I hate that word) with a steering quickener or build a swingset and set it up like a quad to steer. There is another way I am working on that I need to prove first but I think it will be far better than both a rack or a typical quad setup.

How much power are you wanting in your ride? What kind of terrain do you have to ride on??

If you still WANT to shift Rortys got some plans on this site that will take a bike motor and he even has plans for a paddle shifter on the steering wheel (butterfly shaped) Heck hes in Australia too. I know the place is big but how cool if you and him were close?

Rorty Design Home

Check out that link and look for the steering paddle shifters.
    I have seen steering wheels with paddle shift, on some of the other buggies from the posters in this forum. I just haven't seen a steering wheel with accellerator, brake and gear shift on the steering wheel - It surely can't be that difficult... I am gonna leave the setup the way it is for the moment. I like having the manual gearbox in it anyhow. So yeah All i really need is a throttle on the "W" steering wheel like motorcycles.

Not sure what u meant by "sled".

The power of the piranha... is... well... powerful enough. I havent had it up to full speed yet but, not sure I ever will to be honest. the donk is a very respectable VFR750. more power than i need for the moment.

10. Collapse Details
    Sled means snowmobile and I do have to admit I read your post so quick that I was thinking you were in the designing and building phase but now that I have read it properly I see you have the machine and wish to make hand controls. My bad there. But sleds mean no shifting so its less to have to worry about but changing over the machine is not alwasy easy and it sounds like you do not wish to. Thats cool as long as you are happy with it and can make it work for you.

Controls on a steering wheel that spin more than (say for example ATV handle bars on a quad or bike) will be tough as if the wheel goes a few revoulutions to steer from lock to lock the controls need to accomodate and thats tough. For shifting you could have a lever near the wheel with a clutch on it but you still need brakes and throttle and on a wheel you could custom make a butterfly setup as long as it was able to steer the front tires from lock to lock in the angle you have to steer it.

The wider you can make your handlebars or steering butterfly the better as it will give you more leverage and tire you out less quickly. But the Piranahas I have seen are kinda narrow so you may not be able to go to wide.

How wide is the cockpit in yours?
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast