Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Paraletic (how to make a hand control steering wheel)
    if U Find U Find A Way To Switch To Hand Controls On A Redline Please Pass On The Information I Am Also A Paraplegic And Have Just Bought A Revolt And Could Really Use The Information I Am Currently Trying To Make The Controls Out Of My Car Hand Controls I Will Let All No How It Works Out.

2. Collapse Details
    Props to Stress. You are one hell of a person in my book.

Thanks for showing us what it takes for you to be in this sport. More importantly, thanks for showing other paras that it can be done.

Someone should build and sell a kit. Maybe we can get the right people hooked up here to make that happen. Who has the knowldge and skills to make this happen?
    Last edited by Gene; 01-10-2009 at 08:12 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    keiser i say for brakes do what top fuel does a hand lever mounted to the master cylinder
    so you pull the brakes with your hand mount the clutch to that same handle
    use a butter fly handle to shift with or evan better look at racing go carts shifter handles it looks somthing like a cars automatic columb shift the throttle could be operated by you thumb with a push lever control off of a four wheeler

4. Collapse Details
    Hey Stress have you had the buggy out yet?

5. Collapse Details
    This is YOUTUBE of my buggy setup

YOU TUBE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAIWaPhs4ik

YOU TUBE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR6MfYg3WYY

YOU TUBE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w71sUV4Jvcg

If you can not get the You Tubes to work do the following. So login into You Tube and type Stress Buggy and hit enter. You will see a red box with a S in it. Click on the Stress Buggy words in blue, this will take you to where my videos are. There are 4 videos on how to set up a Shift Kart There are 3 videos on how to set up a dune buggy
    Last edited by stress; 12-29-2016 at 10:33 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    The following pictures show the black hose that goes from the master cylinder to the brake reservoir tank. I mounted the reservoir tank up high to keep above the master cylinder as the steering wheel is turned so I do not get any air from the reservoir in the line. If the reservoir is higher that the master cylinder you can turn the master cylinder upside down and no air will get into the master cylinder

Last edited by stress; 01-01-2018 at 07:15 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    I think this is on topic, sorta: 44 years ago I worked in a speed shop and a friend had just had a car built for him. He had no arms, but had hands very near his shoulders. With a govt grant the car was designed & built by UC Davis Engineering Dept & other concerns as I remember. All controls were contained in a single large foot pedal, forward was accelerator, rearward reduced acceleration or applied brakes, pivoting pedal left or right controlled power steering.

Car was a 1964 Chevelle, 283 2bbl w/ Powerglide. He & the car were pretty famous in the medical & engineering community because this had never been attempted before. After it was built we got involved and as I recall, dimly: pulled the engine, shaved the heads, bored .030 over, popup pistons, full race cam, 2 AFB 4bbls, headers into fat dual exhaust, positraction rear, shift kit in the tranny, heavy duty shocks, fat meats in the rear.

He was the terror of the local dragstrip and had lots of fun. The govt & university guys called foul but nothing they could do, the car was his

So, GO FOR IT, Guys & Gals!!! Life is meant to be LIVED!

8. Collapse Details
    My rear brake set up is :
    A 11 inch brake disk. The caliper is a Wilwood 6-piston Dynapro ( part number 120-10125 ), its has 2 piston with 1.62 inch dia, 4 pistons with 1.38 inch dia . The brake pads are a lot bigger (part number 150-10007-K PADS ).

Last edited by stress; 01-01-2018 at 07:18 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    my front brakes have real good braking power. front brakes uses a 11 inch brake disks. For calipers I use are Wilwood Dynapro Single billet calipers part number 120-9687. The caliper has two 1.75 Dia pistons. I had to use 15 inch rims to be able to brake disks this large.

Last edited by stress; 01-01-2018 at 07:23 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    I have changed my master cylinder setup from the Pilot master cylinders to front brake master cylinder from a 2009 Honda CBR1000RA , the master cylinder piston dia is 0.683 inch. Because 2009 Honda CBR1000RA master cylinder piston is bigger than a Pilot master cylinder it will produce lower brake line pressure , but move 4 times more brake fluid. With my new 6-piston rear brake caliper the Honda CBR1000RA master cylinder does a good job with low hand force. The larger brake pads on the 6-piston rear brake caliper is what I think makes the difference now. With this 6-piston caliper I needed the larger amount of brake fluid the Honda CBR1000RA master cylinder can move. The 2009 Honda CBR1000RA master cylinder worked good with my front brakes with low hand force.

The 2009 Honda CBR1000RA master cylinder worked good on the steering wheel, the important thing is you must mount master cylinder reservoir where it will all ways be higher that the master cylinder as the steering turns, I mounted mine near the roof. I used one master cylinder reservoir to supply 2 master cylinders. I ran one tube from the reservoir to the steering wheel where I put a T-fitting in the tube and then ran a tube from each side of the T-fitting to each master cylinder, I have had no problems doing it this way.

Over all I have good brakes that I am happy with now. The only problem I am still working on is my rear brake disk runout problem caused the drive flanges coming out of transmission than my brake disk bolts to, this causing my rear brake lever to pull in a little more than I like.

added 01/05/2014
    Years later I found the problem I was having with the rear brakes was being caused by rear axles. My buggy has a inboard rear brake , the rear brake disk is mounted to the transmission drive flange where the axle bolts to. My buggy had an axle called a U-Joint spline axle, this type of axle has a U-Joint on each end of the axle and the straight shaft part of the axle is made of two parts, a female spline part and male spline part, the two spline parts can slide in and out to make the axle shorter and longer as the suspension is moving up and down. The problem is when the splines parts of the axle bind together when the buggy under power or braking, the axle binds up it put large thrust loads on the transmission, this causes the brake disk to flex and move the brake caliper pistons away from the brake disk, when this happens you have to pump the brake lever 5 to 6 times to get the brake to work. Also when the axles binds the thrust load in the axles will brake the transmission and its mounting brackets, bend trailing arms, crack the buggy frame. The binding axles also cause the rear suspension bind up causing a rough ride. I ended up changing my buggy over to 930 CV axles and all these problems went away. As you follow the pages of this post you will see I ended going to power brakes on my rear brakes solve the problems caused by the U-joint spline axles, I may have been able to get good rear brakes with out going to power brakes on my buggy if it had 930 CV axles at that time. As you follow the posts keep in mind some of the brake set ups I say did not work well ,may have been OK because my real problem was my axles, took years for me to figure this out.

!!!! Stay way from U-Joint spline axles they are a world of problems !!!!
    Last edited by stress; 07-17-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast