Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    re: Paraletic (how to make a hand control steering wheel)
    In this picture I am pointing to the side of the steering I modified so I could mount Honda Pilot master cylinders. I do not have the master cylinders mount on this steering wheel now. I have the master cylinders on my C-Moore buggy, I will show so some pictures of my C-Moore steering wheel in a later post. On my old shifter kart I have 2 master cylinders mounted side by side and worked off one lever. I had one master cylinder work the front brakes and the other work the rear brake. When I bought the master cylinders in 1995 they cost about $220.00 each. I do not know if Honda still sells the master cylinders. Odyssey Salvage 913-856-6639 has a lot of Odyssey and Pilot parts if the Honda dealers do not sell it. For buggy about the same size and weight as a Pilot one master cylinder for the front brakes and one master cylinder for rear brake mounted side by side may work fine. If the buggy is bigger that the Pilot the one master cylinder for each brake my not be enough . My C-Moore buggy weight is around 850-900 lbs and has over a 100 hp. I have to use 2 master cylinders for the front brakes and 2 master cylinders for rear brakes

Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 01:06 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    The angle of the steering shaft my require modification to the steering wheel. On my old shifter kart the angle of the steering shaft was the same as a Pilot so all I did was weld so aluminum to extend the steering wheel so I could bolt it the the steering shaft. My C-Moore buggy require a lot of modification to the steering to mount to the steering shaft. I will show pictures of my C-Moore steering wheel in a later post. I the picture I am showing my old shifter kart steering wheel

Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 01:07 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    These pictures show the steering wheel I am using on my C-Moore buggy. Its Honda Pilot steering wheel. It uses a thumb throttle also. The C-Moore has CVT drive so no shifting is needed. I had to install bigger brake calipers on the buggy that have 1.75" dia pistons on the front brakes and back brakes. So I am using 2 pilot master cylinders mounted side by side to work the front brakes and 2 master cylinders to work the rear brakes. I have 2 master cylinders connected together with a t-fitting to get enough oil volume to the larger calipers. With one master cylinder the lever pulled a the way in and hit the steering wheel. I had 4 Pilot mater cylinders off my old shifter karts laying around so this is the way I end up doing this way. Pilot master cylinders cost me around $220.00 each back in 1995 so I do not think this would be a cost effective way to do it if I to buy it all now.

Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 01:15 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    This picture is a close up of 2 Pilot master cylinders mounted side by side. I welded a bar from one lever to the other lever and cut off the part of the outside lever that hung down. I put spacer between the the master cylinders mounted to the Pilot steering wheel with 2 longer bolts. To do this on a Pilot steering wheel required no modifications the steering wheel. I my mounted the master cylinders the same way on old shifter kart steering wheel that I showed in earlier post. I welded extensions on to the brake levers to give me more leverage so I would have more braking power.

Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 01:20 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    This post shows the modification made to the Pilot steering wheel to mount it on the C-Moore buggy. The C-Moore has a totally different steering shaft angle that the Pilot so a lot of modification is to required to mount the steering wheel

Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 01:24 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    To use a Pilot or Odyssey steering wheel you need the steering to go from straight to full lock in 90 degree turn of the steering wheel or less. If the steering turns more than 90 degree you can not keep your hands on the brake lever or throttle. The problem with this is causes the steering to kick back hard in ruts. When I had my old Pilot I had a steering damper on it, it still kicked hard sometimes . I fractured my thumb once from this and when your in a wheelchair and you injure your hand live get really hard. On my C-Moore buggy it has steering quicker this gives me the 90 degree full lock turn. The buggy has power steering , there is no kick back with power steering.

My power steering is a Howe Power Steering CHARLYNN system , this system is sometimes called a rack killer, this because there is no feedback to the steering wheel. When you turn the steering wheel it stays in that position with no feedback to the steering wheel, if you hit something the steering will not move unless you turn the steering with your hands.

I was riding in a wooded area a little to fast and the front end started pushing and hit a tree. It bent the steering tie rod backwards about 4 inches , I had my hands on the steering wheel because I did not want to let go of the brakes. When I hit the tree I felt nothing in the steering wheel in the way of trying to move.

In normal driving , I have no problem driving with the lack of feed back in the steering wheel. I like the way this system works and after hitting something I was happy with the way it worked. When you have hand controls , you most likely want to keep your hands on the steering wheel so you can stay on the brakes if you are going to hit something.

http://www.billavista.com/tech/pdf_i...%20Catalog.pdf

http://www.butchsspeedshop.com/category_s/350.htm

The picture below shows the steering wheel the blue thing is the steering quicker and the black thing is the power steering.

The blue part is the steering quickener

The black part is the Charlynn power steering torque motor

The power steering pump

The power steering reservoir
    Last edited by stress; 01-01-2018 at 07:36 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    When you use a Pilot or Odyssey steering wheel the throttle cable and brake lines need a clean sweep area so they do not hit anything as the the steering wheel turns. On my C-Moore buggy I had them change how they normal make the the steering shaft mount to the bar that runs under the the steering shaft when they where welding the frame up.

Last edited by stress; 01-01-2018 at 07:43 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Re: Paraletic
    You need to strap your legs down or they will hyper-extend at your knees when you go over rough ground. I had C-Moore add these tabs to the frame so I could mount straps for my legs. I put a pad on the floor and pad on top of my leg and run the straps over the top pad to tie my legs down.

added 01/05/2014
    Years later I rolled my buggy and the velco straps shown the picture did not hold my legs in place. I ended up replacing these with street car seat belts. I found aftermarket seat belts around $19.00 a set. Use seat belts to hold your legs in place
    I am using 3 seat belts (in 3 difference places)to hold my legs. I guess you should always plan for crashing.

Last edited by stress; 01-01-2018 at 07:47 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Re: Paraletic (how to make a hand control steering wheel)
    Using 2 pilot master cylinders mounted side by side did not move enough volume of oil to have good brake action and the brakes did not a enough power. After spending more time driving my buggy with the hand controls and getting faster after having more seat time, I found I wanted more from my brakes. The first change I make was to plug the holes my brake levers mounted into on the Pilot master cylinders and drilled new holes 0.3 inch closer to the master cylinder piston so I could get a better brake lever ratio. This gave me more braking power. After doing this I could lock my front wheels while braking from high speed, I was happy with the front brakes at this point. The rear brake was still lacking the performance I wanted. When the buggy is driven hard the rear brake has has strange feel. Its not the feeling you get when you boil the brake fluid or have air in the line its something I have never felt in a before in a brake. The Pilot master cylinder piston is around 0.31 inch in dia , this small dia gives high pressure in the brake line. I got to thinking I need to try a bigger master cylinder piston dia , even though this would give me lower brake line pressure , I wanted to see how it would work. The following post will show how I mounted 2009 Honda CRB1000RA front brake master cylinder.

added 01/05/2014
    Years later I found the problem I was having with the rear brakes was being caused by rear axles. My buggy has a inboard rear brake , the rear brake disk is mounted to the transmission drive flange where the axle bolts to. My buggy had an axle called a U-Joint spline axle, this type of axle has a U-Joint on each end of the axle and the straight shaft part of the axle is made of two parts, a female spline part and male spline part, the two spline parts can slide in and out to make the axle shorter and longer as the suspension is moving up and down. The problem is when the splines parts of the axle bind together when the buggy under power or braking, the axle binds up it put large thrust loads on the transmission, this causes the brake disk to flex and move the brake caliper pistons away from the brake disk, when this happens you have to pump the brake lever 5 to 6 times to get the brake to work. Also when the axles binds the thrust load in the axles will brake the transmission and its mounting brackets, bend trailing arms, crack the buggy frame. The binding axles also cause the rear suspension bind up causing a rough ride. I ended up changing my buggy over to 930 CV axles and all these problems went away. As you follow the pages of this post you will see I ended going to power brakes on my rear brakes solve the problems caused by the U-joint spline axles, I may have been able to get good rear brakes with out going to power brakes on my buggy if it had 930 CV axles at that time. As you follow the posts keep in mind some of the brake set ups I say did not work well ,may have been OK because my real problem was my axles, took years for me to figure this out.

!!!! Stay way from U-Joint spline axles they are a world of problems !!!!
    Last edited by stress; 07-16-2016 at 01:15 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Re: Paraletic (how to make a hand control steering wheel)
    Great post! If someone needs hand controls this is the encouragement they need.
    C-Moore builds nice cars and is ready to help customers achieve their dream.
    Thanks Stress and also Chuck at C-Moore!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast