Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    re: Paraletic (how to make a hand control steering wheel)
    I had a long travel pilot back in 1991-1995 . I had a steering damper on the car, one day the steering kick back so hard I fracture my thumb. The problem with 90 degree turn to full lock it can kick back. I added straps to tie my legs down because I would see my legs hyper-extend at the knee.

I got in shift karts racing after that and used a odyssey 350 steering wheel to make all my controls on the steering wheel.I used the thumb throttle as is and the brake lever on the throttle side as a clutch. On the other side of the steering wheel I modified it so could mount pilot master cylinders. I built a cable operated butter fly shift for the gears. At the time I could not find any air shifters that could shift into neutral. I have picture of my shifter kart steering wheel below.

I have C-Moore buggy with power steering and a steering quicker so I can get full lock turn a 90 degree turn of the steering wheel. I get no kick back in the steering with power steering. I have a pilot steering wheel and I am working on the the brakes to get them to work with pilot master cylinders

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 12:41 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    is it safe to assume that one of those handles is throttle. If so, I want one. Where to find it is another matter. Thanks Stress for posting that photo.

3. Collapse Details
    I can take some better pictures of the steering wheel in the picture above, this weekend. I sold my shifter kart last year but I have the steering on shelf that I can not get to in my wheelchair, I will get someone to pull it down this weekend. I will take some better pictures so you can get some ideas.

Below are some YOUTUBES of how I setup my Shifter Kart with hand controls

YOU TUBE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRplmKc97NI

YOU TUBE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3T_Z0KgS1w

YOU TUBE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PninpYNV-o

Below are some YOUTUBE of how I setup my Clutch Kart with hand controls

YOU TUBE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PTKjGkEB4s

If you can not get the You Tubes to work do the following. So login into You Tube and type Stress Buggy and hit enter. You will see a red box with a S in it. Click on the Stress Buggy words in blue, this will take you to where my videos are. There are 4 videos on how to set up a Shift Kart There are 3 videos on how to set up a dune buggy
    Last edited by stress; 12-29-2016 at 11:23 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Usually the throttle is the little thumb tab, in the upper part of the right side D window of the wheel. It is aluminum, and shiny in the pic above. It's pretty much like a fourwheeler.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stress View Post
    Paraletic,I can take some better pictures of the steering wheel in the picture above, this weekend. I sold my shifter kart last year but I have the steering on shelf that I can not get to in my wheelchair, I will get someone to pull it down this weekend. I will take some better pictures so you can get some ideas.

That'd be great... Btw my handle isnt Paraletic its the title of the thread. I was having a little fun with myself when writing the thread and forgot to change it...

Quote Originally Posted by plkracer View Post
    Usually the throttle is the little thumb tab, in the upper part of the right side D window of the wheel. It is aluminum, and shiny in the pic above. It's pretty much like a fourwheeler.
    Ahhh, I didn't notice the throttle till you pointed it out... seems this steering wheel has all I need... Thanks plkracer

Hey stress, are u looking to keep that for another buggy? Or are you willing to sell it? Name your price dude...

6. Collapse Details
    We can change the title to anything you like. Let us know . . .

7. Collapse Details
    The pictures of my old shifter kart steering was confusing to some people. So I am going to show better pictures this time. This post I am going to show the over all steering wheel and then do separate posts for each control on the steering wheel . I think it will be more clear this way.

Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 12:48 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    In this picture my hand is pointing to the thumb throttle

Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 12:50 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    In this picture I am pointing to what I used for a clutch lever for my shifter kart. This steering wheel is off a 1985 Honda Odyssey and this what the Odyssey used for the front brake cable. So using this as a clutch lever required no modification.

Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 12:53 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    This is a picture of the butterfly shifter I made using a push-pull cable . My old shifter kart did not have a roll cage so I had room to run the cable mount in front of the steering wheel. On a buggy making a cable mount like this may hit the roll cage. The mount may have to mounted to the steering shaft so it can turn as the steering wheel turns and no hit the roll cage. You need to look the room you have carefully

Last edited by stress; 12-28-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast