1. Collapse Details
    Blowing the main 30amp fuse on the Busa-Buggy
    Well, it all started in Jan. when in Glamis. *Was out on a dune ride and all of a sudden - no electrical - Intelli-Dash was dead, no fuel pump, no fans, etc. *. . . well, I'll cut to it on this post. *Tom mounts a box (looks like it is the stocker) near the battery that has a green 30-amp fuse in it which when blown cuts all power from the battery. *

Anyways, replaced it and re-did a short run of wiring in the wing trunk that was fryed (insulation melted off). *This wire was out of the Voltage Regulator. *

So, anyways. . . had a couple extra fuses in the wing-trunk this last weekend and wouldn't you know. . . blew again. *OK, no big deal. . . I know what it is now. . . replaced the fuse! *Get back in and buckle up pull away and pop - not 10-yards later and she blows again! *Uh, oh - only had ONE spare fuse. *Luckily I had a couple jumpers in the wing trunk and was able to by-pass the fuse and power the buggy back o camp (after some work). *

So, what is causing the fuse to blow? *Rode it the rest of the weekend without any issues. *

Why is the voltage regulator wire getting so hot. *

I knew when I bought the buggy that I had electrical issues / wiring issues. *Not sure I want to re-wire this thing but, it looks like a freekin' mess that is for sure. *Definitely needs to be cleaned up. *

Anyways, anyone have thoughts on what to look for? *
    Voltage regulator or short somewhere?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Blowing the main 30amp fuse on the Busa-Buggy
    Overloaded electrical system.You must be pulling more than 30 amps total thru the electrical system as a whole counting accessories.Have you added any extra load on the system?Lights/gps/intercom,etc.?Do a check of the rectifier/regulator function according to the busa manual.The factory alternator will only put out 30 amps so you definitely have a problem.Sorry I can't help more.

3. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    So is the regulator mounted in the wing/trunk? How long of a run is this? Did they extend the stock harness?

4. Collapse Details
    The regulator/rectifier needs a lot of cooling air.Maybe there's something there if it's not in open air.But if it's been working fine and you've added no extra electrical load then you need to look closely for any short circuits.From your description that's what it sounds to me.An intermittent short.Possibly a pinched wire or maybe a wire rubbing against a moving suspension part.Whatever it is you can bet it's because there is more than 30 amp flow thru the fuse.Now you gotta find out why.This can be very frustrating.Enjoy!

5. Collapse Details
    Sounds like a bad regulator/rectifier, check the voltage output. If it's bad you should see the voltage spike when you rev the engine rather then constant. If it is bad check the input to make sure it was heat damage and not something else that caused the problem in the first place. Had a TrailTech -8 flywheel disintegrate, fried my Reg/Rect. This cause voltage spike throughout the electrical system.

The service manual has a good section on testing the electrical system component by component. Not sure what year your motor is but here's a link to a 99-00 Busa service manual.

https://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?na ... etit&lid=7

Good luck tracking it down
    Currently on a two year walkabout

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    replaced it and re-did a short run of wiring in the wing trunk that was fryed (insulation melted off). *This wire was out of the Voltage Regulator.
    I'm with Master on this one: *Either overloading the system or look for pinched wires. *Body panels against tubes, seats, wire harness chafed. *Silliest of things can be the most frustrating and hard to find too...

Gotta keep the reg/rect out in the breeze - they don't like heat at all.

How about where the wire was melted? - was it melted along the entire wire between the components or was it melted from "x" to "y". *If it's from point to point and not component to component, that would be the first place I'd look for a short or chafe.

Even a crack in the insulation can allow a ground out - once that happens, melt down can occur and frustration will begin.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys. *I'll do some checking into this. *

Anyone know what a good price is for a voltage reg? *I'm thinking I want to have one available. *

I'll check into the voltage at various RPM's. *

Dang electrical. . . wish there was a simple answer.

8. Collapse Details
    try to run the buggy with the less load to start with that turn each circuit one at the time when the problem occur you know witch circuit, if any, is at fault.
    As for the voltage regulator I totally agree, if it get hot, it bypass it self, try to not bypass the 30 amp fuse, you better blow the fuse ( cheap) then have a melt down and fire , bybye buggy.
    Do you see the vid on the web of the sand rail on fire ?
    "Anything is possible, it's just matter of Time, Money "
    "Always think out of the box"

9. Collapse Details
    Just for info, running motor, without the cooling fan (ECU, fuel pump, valve etc.. 9.5 amps on the 955i Daytona)
    "Anything is possible, it's just matter of Time, Money "
    "Always think out of the box"