Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Proper wiring for a rotax 503 (Ski doo I think)
    Hey all! I got myself a $450 project buggy. Of it's many issues is the wiring is all messed up from someones attempt to add lights (I think) But most everything is disconnected and some wire are cut.

I would like to add a lawnmower battery (12v) and have a key and a kill switch eventually, but for now just getting it running would be good so I can check things out.

Attached is a picture of the wiring mess. I had tried to go though it using a diagram I found online, but it didn't list wire colors.
    If someone could tell me what wires are what so I get it all hooked up right, that would be awesome!
    Thanks in advance.

http://imgur.com/a/UNSgf <- Pics of buggy wires

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Proper wiring for a rotax 503 (Ski doo I think)
    Nobody knows anything?

Do I need to post more info or anything?

3. Collapse Details
    First thing I would do is to remove the recoil starter to access the stator then you can trace every wire. also it look like an early model so it might be point not electronic ignition. as for hooking up a battery I don't think it will work. but you should be able to have a couple of lights. These engine were very reliable and used in several machine Safari, skandic, Alpine. you can try to google the serial # it would give you a clue witch years to look for a wiring diagram. I hope that help. Good luck

4. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I would second everything that Beruba stated. Unless there is someone here on the forum that is familiar with that engine, then the best we can offer is some general guidance on wiring. Here's what I know.

I'm assuming that your motor doesn't have a starter and that it wasn't intended to have a starter. That means that you have 12 volts AC and a voltage regulator, but not a rectifier. That's not a big deal because lights work fine on AC. You only need DC for a starter circuit and a battery. You'll have lights while the engine is running, but nothing when the engine dies. Typical of a snowmobile engine.

From the stator, you will have, essentially, two sets of wires. One wire(s) will go to the points/CDI box. From the points/CDI box, the wire(s) will run to the ignition coil. There will also be a ground wire that goes to the coil and ignition switch to kill the engine. The ignition switch should turn the engine off by grounding out the ignition coil. Make sure you get the right ignition switch because a switch made for a car is backwards from a switch made for a snowmobile/ATV.

The second set of wires are for the lights, etc. One wire typically goes to ground and the other wire goes to the voltage regulator. The wires are typically interchangeable, since you're working with AC power.

If you're missing the voltage regulator, etc, then you have your work cut out for you. As beruba stated, you need to get a look at the stator and start tracing wires from there. If you're looking at a wiring schematic that refers to a voltage regulator/rectifier, then the diagram is probably wrong for your engine.

If you can remove the pull start and send us a picture of the stator, then maybe we can help you trace out the wires.

(Edit) Some further thoughts. Try to identify any ground wires. With a continuity tester, see if any wires test to ground. None of the wires supplying power from the stator will be grounded. Also, looking at the pictures, it looks like a couple of the wires are yellow with a red stripe. I know that in the Polaris world, the yellow/red wires are the AC power from the stator for the lights. it looks like one of the wires is grounded and the other isn't connected to anything. That would be correct if there is no voltage regulator and no lights.

Also, does the engine run? How do you shut it off?

5. Collapse Details
    I will get the pull-start/fan cover off soon I hope and get some pictures of that. In the mean time, I think this image diagrams how the electrical system should work - http://graph.darren-criss.org/2016/0...644426b568.jpg

I know that there were possibly 2 or 3 different ignition systems for this motor.

At the moment I have all the wires unplugged as the wiring in the front of the buggy is all a mess and I didn't want anything to short out. It does not run at the moment. I think that is due to gummed up carbs as much as anything at the moment. Going to clean them soon I hope.

6. Collapse Details
    I think you're probably correct on the wiring diagram. Once you get the cover off and can trace the wires from the stator, then you can get everything sorted out. If you want lights, then you'll need to track down a voltage regulator.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    ...need to track down a voltage regulator.
    Yep. I realised yesterday that it would need one. I checked last night and didn't find one on it anywhere. (I did find a 12v fuel pump welded to the frame under the engine - Connected to nothing.)

Can I use an ATV regulator/rectifier? Like this one or this one? The one specific to the motor is rather expensive.

8. Collapse Details
    I found this online might have helpful info for you
    http://www.vintagesnow.com/Ski-Doo_files/1984_SM.pdf

9. Collapse Details
    The correct voltage regulator looks more like the one shown in the link below. It connects bus-style to the stator wire. Alternately, a Polaris voltage regulator with a red and a yellow wire will give you both a voltage regulator and a rectifier. A voltage rectifier/regulator with four wires might work, but I'm not as confident in describing how to wire it into your buggy's wiring harness.

The Rotax 277 engine I had a few years ago had a pulse pump, rather than an electric fuel pump.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VOLTAGE-...RXPhBA&vxp=mtr

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys. That manual is better than the one I had found. It will come in handy.

No fuel pump in use on this buggy ATM. It is gravity fed. Will that be enough with 1/4 in lines?

I ordered one of the nicer looking cheap ebay rectifier/regulators. It was cheap, so if it doesn't work it's ok. Those ones darwinpayne2000 linked to look promising.

Thanks again, I'll try and keep y'all posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast