1. Collapse Details
    Relocating the Battery, electrical Mystery or Not ?
    Red face
    I want to relocate the battery in the front of the St2 and run to some problem.

I try first to run some "extension" cable, #6 wire 6ft long, one red and one black, the buggy start but stall right away, when I put the battery on it's old location back, no problem, I try again then with the same cable but 4Ft long then no problem at all start and run.

I decide , after speaking with some electrical engineer at work to upgrade the wire to #2, I bought the 8Ft wire and install the battery in the front, the buggy will start but "stall" right away, I decide to double the ground cable, two 1Ft #6 wires, no change.

Than I turn the light ON, and then the motor start and stay on but soon as I put some gas the motor dies, and even more strange, if I SHUT the light OFF, the motor go off as well.

Remember , when the battery is in the back no Incident, original location, no problem at all.

I can bring the battery closer, but it will be two inches from the exhaust header, at this location the wiring seems to work right , #2 red wire 4 ft , # 6 black wire ( this one will be changed for a #2 1'

Here is some number.

Battery fully charged, 13.30V, voltage with #2 wire 11.20, with light on 10.50.
    I try two batteries the orignal AGM and a brand new car battery 550 cca.
    Both fully charged, both work when located in original location on on other car, ecotec motor.
    Does somebody experience something similar or have any idea on how to solve this , I'm definitively clueless
    "Anything is possible, it's just matter of Time, Money "
    "Always think out of the box"

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Relocating the Battery, electrical Mystery or Not ?
    So your just moving the battery and running jumpers? Its starting which is the higher power use. But then it stalls. Def wierd. Instead of the wire your using does it work if you use a REALLY good set of jumper cables as extensions?

How are you connecting the longer cables together to the system? Are they hardwired in like normal cables or just ran to the batteries old connection points and hooked together there? If so how (pics maybe?)
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    Olympia, Wa. or 25 gallons of Diesel from the dunes
    I would tend to lean towards the grounding of the battery/chassis. Did you run a cable back to the exact grounding location of the orginal battery? If not try that. Also how is the motor/CPU grounded? Make sure that there is a good connection between that and the battery.
    Also that voltage seems a little low while running. I would expect to see some where above 13 volts with a light load. Could have a rectifier/alternator/stator/generator(not sure which you have) going bad.
    Being pushed to better yourself is never a bad thing.

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes

4. Collapse Details
    No I'm not running jump wire, I'm running Longer wire, they are connected like they supposed to be, crimped etc..
    The "original" ground is removed from the battery and grounded to the chassis, the RED is tap directly to the starter relay.

On the battery side , the ground go to the frame.

No Ground wire go from the battery to the harness, I try this as well when I had my 6ft #6 wire at the beginning but it would not work.

I think one of my first problem is my inconsistency of my test and process to trouble shoot , it will be nice to know how you guy , the one of you who run a battery "far away" , sound like Disney huh, do the electrical main power.

'B,

5. Collapse Details
    Olympia, Wa. or 25 gallons of Diesel from the dunes
    Back to the grounding.....if you are taking the orginal ground off and ground it to the frame and ground the relocated battery to the frame also, maybe the connection between the two ground points is bad. I would try to take your old #6 wire you replaced with the #2 and ground the battery to the old ground point. This will eleminate any potentional bad grounds.
    Being pushed to better yourself is never a bad thing.

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes

6. Collapse Details
    The test you want to preform is called a voltage-drop test. I prefer an analog voltmeter (needle type) with DC volt settings from 0 to 3 volt and a 0 to anything greater than 15 volts. This is a personal preference. Set the meter to DC volts, 3 volt scale and attach one lead (red or black) to the ground cable while it is attached to the battery then attach the unused lead to the the connection point of the ground lead at the frame. Crank the starter and observe the needle, if it swings to less than zero, reverse the leads and try again. What you are looking for is a DC voltage reading of LESS THAN .3 volts (that is why you are using the 3 volt scale, small voltages are easier to read). Any reading above .3 volts means that the wire is suspect. This test is a dynamic test of the wire while in operation whereas a test light and an ohm test are a go / no-go type of test. This test can be used on the + wire on the battery also to diagnose charging/cranking problems. Go wire by wire until you have found the bad wire/ground/connection. Something to remember... electrons travel along the surface of the wire soooo, the higher the strand count in the wire the better the wire.

Some of you pre-alternator equipped Type 1 owners who could never get the generator light to go out, the reason why is because the resistance of the light bulb AND the resistance of the wire from the bulb to the generator was just a little too great.
    Last edited by Glamisman; 07-28-2009 at 01:49 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Glamisman thanks for the tips, I think it's the proper way to test it, school is so far away, I did use a separate wire #8 gage to feed ground to the "electronics" parts and it work like a charms.
    I will do the test If I can find on old DC voltmeter (gonna be hard) and really find out where the problem is.
    Think ;0)

8. Collapse Details
    Please bring us up to date on the fix that finally cured your trouble.

9. Collapse Details
    Well I measure the voltage drop and it didn't was good , even while using the # 2 wire, so I decide to move the battery closer, just behind the set, yep few inches from the exhaust.
    The Triumph motor is very hard with power, it need a very good battery to start and to run , triumph rat forum it's half the talk about it, so I decide to play it safe, I redo all the ground starting from all the connection ground to the motor with a #4, from the motor to the battery with an another # 4, than a shorter one from the battery to the other side of the motor with a #4, less than 6", for the + I have a four Feet of #2 going directly to the starter relay, and than a # 6 wire to the fuse block and a #4 to the starter, with the battery charged correctly no problem.
    No voltage drop on ground, well, 0.018, and a mere 0.08 on the positive.
    The battery in the front was in the way of the clutch pedal and took the room of the emergency gallon of water anyway.
    Can't wait to finish the damn thing...

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the update, looks like you are just about finished up!I hope to hear a ride report soon!!!