1. Collapse Details
    Will this steering work? (Bump steering?)
    Hello.

The pic shows the idea of my single seat three wheeler vehicle that I shall build. It will have front shocks - not very long travel, just to make the ride smoother - and the steering stuff will be mounted under the frame to get foot space. Weight is an issue so I have to do it this way, otherwise the frame will have to be longer in order to have enough foot space.

Anyway, this is not what I'm here to talk about, I'm here to talk about the "bump steer" problem and if you think the steering on the pic would work or not.

Am I correct thinking that as both wheels go up, the steering rod thingys (Is it called racks?) will be pulled apart because of the wheelbase/width getting bigger? You think the steering idea looks good or is it terribly wrong?
    It 'feels' wrong when thinking about it but I don't know.. This is when you guys step in and tell me what to do.

Ps: I will have a roll cage on it to make the frame steady, what you see in the pic is just the bottom part of the frame.
    Last edited by RD350LC; 06-13-2009 at 05:28 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Will this steering work? (Bump steering?)
    the bump steer will be bad. there needs to be a pivot point inline where the aarms are mountede to the frame to stop it. you can then connect your steering shaft rods to that point. i have my buggy taken apart at the moment for final welding, but will post pics of how i set up mine when reassembled if you like

3. Collapse Details
    You also have reverse ackerman with the tie rods crossing over on the bellcrank.

4. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nutnbolt2002 View Post
    You also have reverse ackerman with the tie rods crossing over on the bellcrank.
    Tie rod angle to the bell crank - OK
    Steering arm angle on the spindles - OK
    Angle of the tie rods to the steering arms - Bad
    Bumpsteer - Horrible

5. Collapse Details
    Hey guys, thank's for the answers!

Not sure if I understand what you mean about the angles in particular, is it possible that you could draw/show a pic of how it should look? Maybe a "Good v.s. Very bad" kind of pic? Any information to read that is easy for a newbie like me?

I think I understand the thing about having the steering rods with pivots in line with the center of the A-arm mountings though. That way the steering rods will move exactly as the A-arms and the width of the wheelbase getting bigger (as the wheels goes up) wouldn't matter because the steering rods will do the exact same movement as the A-arms right?

You can post pics Crazy, it might help.

Edit: This might look a little better? (I didn't draw anything that moves the steering (rack?) side but that will be there IRL lol.) Still not sure about angles though.

Last edited by RD350LC; 06-14-2009 at 05:53 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    The pic at the bottom of your last post will work much better and you have the idea of making the tie rods pivot in the same plane as the a-arms correct. You now need to move the rack back so it's more centered in between the arms.

Right now, when you turn to the right, the right side will be fine, but the left side may pivot too far, letting the tie rod get pulled by the spindle too far, then rotating farther left, pushing the tie rod link back behind the pivot line and it can lock up the spindle. The same can/could happen if you turned left - just to the right side. (does this make sense???)

Regardless, the rack needs to come back.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    The pic at the bottom of your last post will work much better and you have the idea of making the tie rods pivot in the same plane as the a-arms correct. You now need to move the rack back so it's more centered in between the arms.

Right now, when you turn to the right, the right side will be fine, but the left side may pivot too far, letting the tie rod get pulled by the spindle too far, then rotating farther left, pushing the tie rod link back behind the pivot line and it can lock up the spindle. The same can/could happen if you turned left - just to the right side. (does this make sense???)

Regardless, the rack needs to come back.

Aaah, yeah you're right! It does make sense.

Edit: Do this look better?

It's getting complicated lol..
    Last edited by RD350LC; 06-14-2009 at 04:08 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    That, my friend, was advice from the School of Hard Knocks.

Your picture is spot on.

Nice drawings, by the way.

9. Collapse Details
    Thank's m8.
    Yeah I like ms. paint lol, it's so easy to use.

Edit:

Hey I got an off topic question. I have ball joints with 6mm threads, can I use those for the steering or do I need to go bigger? I understand I can't use 6mm threaded rods for steering rods, (they'll probably bend in no time.) I will have them beefier and 6mm threads only in the ends.

The vehicle will probably weigh about 80-100kg's and will not be used off road, more like a road going car.
    Last edited by RD350LC; 06-15-2009 at 03:37 PM.