Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Standard chassis material
    In most race rules i have seen for nearly any motorsport, they require a minimal wall thickness of .095, Rorty had mentioned .083 and i feel has the knowledge to back it up, But do the venues that cover the insurance premiums feel the same....

So the question is, Should we maintain the .095 wall thickness as set by most us sanctioned race bodys....
    With this same question brings the question of the stock pilot, the wall thickness vary from .5? to whatever, IMO this need to be addressed were the stock honda pilot chassis in its original configuration, or reinforcment added but non removed, be allowed to race....IMO this would basiclly give pilots a pass, and they would be able to run the aftermarket arms and such...

An example the chief scrutinizer would have to take in account is if the chassis had built to a arm kits etc...Were the actual honda chassis was modified etc....

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Standard chassis material
    How do they check wall thickness at the track? Just curious. Pilots raced in the previous lite series, so why not this new one?

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    With the weight of our cars - under 1000 lbs, .083 should be more than sufficient.

I agree on the "Pilot Pass". *

The old Pilot roll cages were subject to tweaking with a minor roll over - but strangely enough, I've never seen one wad to the point of danger to the driver - seen some fairly damaged units, but they don't seem to encroach on the driver.

Obviously Honda figured out something... *To make it even more interesting on the Pilot - they're a bolt together cage. *Two front down bars, two rear down bars and then the main hoop. *The hoops not triangulated very well either. *But still, they don't seem to crush - just bend and tweak.

If you plan on racing a Pilot I really recommend getting a cage from ATV Racing (they're the only people making them that I know of) or making one of your own - all one piece, not bolt together and at least 1.25x.083 with quality diagonals and such. *It's not that hard - and if you've the talent to insert a sled engine, you're bound to be able to make a cage...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman\";p=\"44905
    How do they check wall thickness at the track? Just curious. Pilots raced in the previous lite series, so why not this new one?
    Everything is still getting faster. *These Pilots were not built for the speeds (or decelerations) they are seeing now.

5. Collapse Details
    Im not saying pilots cant race, just saying that there made to minimal as is, and modification of hondas engineering could be hazardous to your health, * *Now if some big wig chassis engineer brought one to the track with every tube cut out and replaced it would definetly have to be looked at...

We just have to set a standard....Like i said before, your standards need to be high enuff that the most diverse group of brain power *people can comply....

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugpac\";p=\"44919
    Im not saying pilots cant race, just saying that there made to minimal as is, and modification of hondas engineering could be hazardous to your health, * *Now if some big wig chassis engineer brought one to the track with every tube cut out and replaced it would definetly have to be looked at...

We just have to set a standard....Like i said before, your standards need to be high enuff that the most diverse group of brain power *people can comply....
    After recent events, I think if we are trying to accommodate the overwhelming masses (with regards to brain power), we might as well stop now. *

7. Collapse Details

Example, 13 yr old kid first time with his stick welder etc etc, I can gather some youtube videos for "brain power" refrences i am talking about....

8. Collapse Details
    In my experience of Pilots and Odysseys, Honda got it about right; they're fine with the stock engines and suspension, but slot in more power and add longer arms and the chassis are no longer up to the task. Every Oddy chassis in TORC had been welded/re-welded/replaced. They were produced as 'fun karts' and never designed for racing.

If someone wants to race an Odyssey or Pilot, they should be catered for with bone stock Odyssey or Pilot classes - unless someone qualified can recommend the ATV Racing cage etc. (I haven't seen one, so I don't even know if it's remotely up to the task.)

In most motorsport where cages or any critical tubes are required to be inspected, it's carried out by inserting a gauge into a small hole in the relevant tubes.

9. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    IMO * * * * .095 on 1 1/4 tube (min dia with exception to Pilots)
    * * * * * * * * .083 on 1 1/2 tube

DOM is good & strong, but I do not believe it is necessary to spec it.
    No one has yet to my knowledge, but that is usually where discussions go.

.083 x 1 1/2" dia *ERW has more than proven itself to us.

For calculating weight

.095 x 1 1/4 weighs 1.172lbs per ft

.083" x *1 1/2 weighs 1.256 lbs per ft

If you use approx 80' of main rollcage tubing in your build,,,,,,,, then a car made out of 1 1/2 would weigh 6.72 lbs more than one out of 1 1/4

Thats not much weight differance

10. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorty\";p=\"44970
    In my experience of Pilots and Odysseys, Honda got it about right; they're fine with the stock engines and suspension, but slot in more power and add longer arms and the chassis are no longer up to the task. Every Oddy chassis in TORC had been welded/re-welded/replaced. They were produced as 'fun karts' and never designed for racing.
    Great points on the cage Bob. (you too Bug)
    Once you start putting hp behind them and such - they are on the flimsy side - I also made note that I felt that if you race a Pilot you need to change the cage.

If someone wants to race an Odyssey or Pilot, they should be catered for with bone stock Odyssey or Pilot classes - unless someone qualified can recommend the ATV Racing cage etc. (I haven't seen one, so I don't even know if it's remotely up to the task.)
    I have had a couple of the ATV cages - they work very well - tested mine on more than one occasion. *It's a well built unit. *I also recommend welding it in place on the Pilot - it comes set up to bolt in place on the stock points of a Pilot, but welding is much better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast