Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Should builders follow certain class rules?
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman\";p=\"44015
    Proto runs atv tires on thier 950lb machines with no problems.
    Yet!!

Not saying they will either, I can run my 4000 lb van down the road with 3 lugnuts, Maybe i can run it forever, maybe it will just make it 2 miles....

Ford explores were running firestones with no problems at one time....

Sorry, I feel very strongly against limiting cars to atv tires....IMO its like saying the chassis can not be any larger than .058 wall tubing....

2. Collapse Details
    I'm sorry I don't really have the experience to add much but this is the direction I am going (lites). *I am gather parts and tools. *I just gave notice that I will be leaving my company in December so I can be at home to work on this. *I am a man obsessed, taking a 35% pay cut to try and make it happen. *Got my brother on board with more capitol. *I will be available to help this cause in any way I can soon.

As I said I don't have much experience at lites/short course cars or even racing, but what I do have is common sense and my common sense tells me this. *We should start with wheel base, width, over all length , over all width, *acceptable build material......................I would think performance limiters such as engine size, wheel/tire size, suspension travel????...should be left to hammer out latter in the process.

More later........

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    I think there should be a MAXIMUM weight rule.

I'm against any roll cage rules that outlaw stock Pilot cages. I don't have the ability to build a replacement, and you turn your back on the most widely available machine.

It's hard to base rules on engine output. My 600 2 smoke twin is rated at 100 hp. Someone could build one to 130 hp, easy. How do you measure it? I say limit engine technology and displacement.

IMO, the only way to truly revive Lite racing is for a major manufacturer to build a proper vehicle. Something a spectator can watch, decide to do, and go buy one. AND get parts for.
    I race, therefore I am

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by odypilots\";p=\"44027
    IMO, the only way to truly revive Lite racing is for a major manufacturer to build a proper vehicle. Something a spectator can watch, decide to do, and go buy one. AND get parts for.
    I think this is not too far down the road if Redline sees any amount of success with their cars. *Also considering the explosion of popularity with sxs will help move some of the big four away from the idea that you have to stradle the seat to have fun.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by odypilots\";p=\"44027
    I think there should be a MAXIMUM weight rule.

I'm against any roll cage rules that outlaw stock Pilot cages. I don't have the ability to build a replacement, and you turn your back on the most widely available machine.

It's hard to base rules on engine output. My 600 2 smoke twin is rated at 100 hp. Someone could build one to 130 hp, easy. How do you measure it? I say limit engine technology and displacement.

I agree, a minimum and maximum weight....Less the driver. we dont want anyone substituting belly for tubing quality... * *

I also agree that you cant take the pilot out, *It is grandfathered In...

6. Collapse Details
    Tyre size should be fundamental in the forming of any new race series, be it on bitumen or dirt.

ATV tyres originated on early three-wheelers to provide their un-sprung solid rear ends with some degree of compliance, but they're just air bags with no damping facility. You wouldn't consider running airbags as your suspension 'springs' without the addition of shock absorbers, so why put them on your wheels?

ATV tyres make a mockery of any and all suspension set-ups simply because their spring effect can't be harnessed or controlled. Where's the point in running *sophisticated shocks like Fox airs or coilovers only to run secondary uncontrolled springs (the tyres)? You may as well run swing arm suspension and $50 Chinese shocks if you're going to run ATV tyres.

I don't accept the argument that rated tyres are expensive; BFG and many other manufacturers produce cheap 26"/27" rated tyres with just the grip levels we require for off-road racing.

Unfortunately many people are under the assumption that running fat wide chunky tyres offers the same benefits as adding a turbo to the engine! It couldn't be further from the truth: European rally drivers make far better times driving the frozen snow stages of Scandinavia than on loose gravel stages because they run skinny little (3" wide) tyres that cut through the slippery hard-packed snow and down to the road surface below. Frozen Scandinavian rallies are always faster than dry or wet rallies elsewhere. (True! Google it!)

Even on the gravel stages around the world, rally drivers run relatively narrow tyres (5"-6") because they cut away the ball bearing loose gravel on the road surface and grip on the firmer hard pack. The only time you want wide tyres for racing is where you have high horsepower and hot sticky bitumen, but even then, to stiffen the tyres, the profiles usually resemble rubber bands.

ATV tyres are flotation devices designed to keep a vehicle from sinking into swamps and sand. They have no place on a race track and personally, I wouldn't want to participate in a race series that mandated or recommended ATV tyres. Leave ATV tyres for quads and farm utilities.

7. Collapse Details
    I think today's atv tires are far superior to the first atc tires, and with the advent of the radials are getting even better. Ok maybe tire size restriction is not the answer.

8. Collapse Details
    Most atv tires in 10" are not radials, I myself have 14" atv tires that are radials....I like the rim diameter myself...They surely would be nicer on aluminum wheels, but time will bring them to the market.....

9. Collapse Details
    Tell us how you really feel Bob! * I agree fully .....ATV tires are just fine on a fun vehicle for trail riding but in a racing environment you really want a rated tire with real sidewalls .........maybe we should all just run this car!!

10. Collapse Details
    I'll take this one

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast