Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Should builders follow certain class rules?
    I think the first rule should be a tire limitation as it is a great equalizer keep to 10" Rims and ATV tires

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotHawK\";p=\"43971
    This is what I am talking about. We need to develop a "baseline" car for each class....as much as I hate to compare to NASCAR we need a template...a "car of tomorrow" so to speak. Look at the SAE cars and how different each of them are, but they have to follow a very detailed set of rules.

As far as equalization goes I feel that this is the most important key to getting these things racing again. Look at the racing classes for mini dwarfs, trophy carts, and karts in general. With a solid set of rules almost anyone can be competitive without breaking the bank. Racing isn't cheap to be sure, but equalize the field and the racing is better and almost every car on the track has a shot at winning a race.

Minibuggy.net is proof that there is a passion for little cars and how much fun they are.
    Agreed. *Some sort of rules are necessary if anyone wants a lite buggy racing class to really take off. *The Baja SAE rules seem restrictive at first, but once understood there is plenty of room for flexibility, as you pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by AtvNut\";p=\"43986
    I think the first rule should be a tire limitation as it is a great equalizer keep to 10" Rims and ATV tires
    Why? *That's the last thing I would worry about limiting. *It's certainly not the combo of choice for most people. *Even many Baja SAE teams use larger than 10" rims. *And many people prefer DOT tires to ATV tires, especially for hard pack short course racing.

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by AtvNut\";p=\"43986
    Oh man. *Already trying to exclude me aren't ya! * I'll be on 13"ers. * Tires and rim diam should be left open to the drivers - it allows for tuning to the track and such. *I ran a combo of 13" and 10" on the Pilot when I did the stadium stuff. *It changed from track to track - could be all four on 10", all four on 13" or front 10 rear 13 or front 13, rear 10's. *Just depended.

I don't care for the way ATV tires handle either - bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun - but the most wonderful thing about Tiggers is that I'm the only one! * * (pardon.... off track a bit!)

Make the focus more on oaw and oal of the vehicles. *It would be very easy to police too - just make sure that someone carries around a small frame that's built to the max specs. *If it slides over a car w/o hitting anything than the car "Fits" in the Light Class.

Power plants should be limited in some aspect. *Maybe not by CC but by output. *A smaller car like a Lite really doesn't need to be powered with 150 hp - that's getting outrageous and at the foot of someone with little experience could be very dangerous.

What do two stroke 600 twins put out? *120ish?
    600 m/c engines? *120ish? - 130ish?

Break the classes down by hp might be an idea.

I also mentioned to Pilothawk on the phone earlier - how about doing some sort of time trials type of setting (this would require a bit of help from the tracks - at least at first). *Five timed laps would probably help place similarly paced vehicles in classes and make the racing more equal, exciting and fun. *I've seen 929 (or was it 954?) powered cars that were rockets down the straights, but in the corners, the Pilots just went "ha ha" and turned in under them. *HP can be a detractor if you can't control it or put it to the ground well.

We all need to try to keep a focus on making this exciting for the crowds. *Bill Easterly (the guy who ran the Pace Series) never quit stressing "This is a SHOW" *"Put on a SHOW for the crowd". *If we end up having 10 cars on the line, one runs away two battle, and one just putts around, it's not a lot of fun for people to watch. *So the closer we can match the cars by class (be it by hp, time trials or what ever we can come up with) the better. *The promoter and race track owners understand this and if we can approach them with this sort of thinking, it will go a long way.

As you guys can see - this is a wide open set of things that we need to try to work down into classes and general rules that work for everyone, as much as possible. *There are obviously going to be some issues that won't get worked out across the board and there will be some people that end up having to work with or deal with things that may not be present on their already owned vehicle. *The idea isn't to single out anyone nor pick on anything in particular, it's to get a set of rules that everyone can live with, abide by and build and race to that brings the Stadium Lites Class back from the dead.

We're one of the most fun classes to watch and to participate in - if we can collectively come up with a good set of rules to follow and a good set of plans to approach the racing people with (in other words - do our homework first), I don't think we can loose.

I'd love to have enough of us get rules figured out and show that enough of us are serious about it and take the class up to WSORR and approach them to see if they'd let us come back and run places like Bark River, Antigo and the Mother of All Short Courses - CRANDON! * * If you've ever had a chance to take a lap around that place, you'd do just about anything to do it again!

4. Collapse Details
    if you have a something that limits traction horsepower doesnt mean a thing aka 10" rim

5. Collapse Details
    The only down fall to that 10 rimmed atv tire, is they are far less safer than a rated tire on a larger diameter rim, Are the rules going to specify the use of beadlocks at the same time? And limiting it to a 10" wheel does nothing more than keeping it a pilot class....

IMO, Length width and Minimum weight, the rest is run what you brung....

6. Collapse Details
    If you cant run all the cars in one class, at least in this part of the country, Your likely to have 3 classes with 1 or 2 cars in them.... *

I think if you do anything you limit ccs....Hp ratings via factory etc are way BS most of the time, Whos to say a guy with 150 is getting 110 to the wheels, were a guy with 120 may be getting 110 ....

My vote is ccs....750 max, 2 stroke limited to twin and 4 stroke to 4....

I think if you try to limit any other factors, you will become The Iroc series....Then kfab could just supply all the equal cars and we could come race them....

Also, Factory drive.... *Chain or belt...No 16k rpm motors with a cvt bolted to the crank etc, to dangerous in a large crowd....

7. Collapse Details
    Why not limit tire size rather than wheel size.A 22" tire will have a smaller contact patch then a 26" tire therefore limiting traction.Although sizes vary depending on the manufacturer.I think limiting engine sizes to 600cc both 2 and 4 stroke would be a good start, since the power output is comparable.At bob's the proto boys with 600cc 4 stroke's are closely matched with daves 600cc 2 cycle pilot.

8. Collapse Details
    well limiting tire and wheel size also induce yet another bad thing, smaller brake rotors mean less stopping power, IMO the pilot breaks are not nearly enuff for what the car is, then add the 100hp to that....

9. Collapse Details
    Why limit tire size, So the snowmobile pilots have the advantage, my big ass 26/14's weigh 2xs as much as a 10" wheel and tire, Who is at the disadvantage?

Atv tires are desinged for lower speed and less weight....most quads are what 500lbs....
    Now if you are going to limit weight to about 600lbs then yes tires would be a good thing to limit....

10. Collapse Details
    Proto runs atv tires on thier 950lb machines with no problems.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast