Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Who here races their mini buggy?
    Just wanted to get some insight into the world of desert racing these things. What classes are there besides 3000? I am looking into building a buggy (the Rorty R16 Shotgun) is at the top of the list for now.
    I saw a guy that raced one in class 3000 (video attached), does anyone know who it is...rhetorical question since many of you probably do. I was curious about his motor choice and if it is possible to build it 100% from plans like the 82s.
    I also wanted to find more folks in Texas, if I do get into this project I would want to hook up and go riding....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjPbTHPXJpo
    Last edited by K-fab; 06-14-2015 at 11:41 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Who here races their mini buggy?
    I THINK that is Stanafast's old shotty. The guy that bought it painted it silver, with a shark mouth on the side. Ill try and dig up a picture.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

3. Collapse Details
    Standfast and those two brothers from mexico are the only two I can think of.

But we have some guys here that can definitely give you some tips on racing.

I think there are a few changes they made to beef up some stuff for racing.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

4. Collapse Details
    The car in the video has got to be the one on Rorty's site. here is the link to it. R16 Shotgun II | Rorty It's the first car in the photo's....the other one is my old car...LOL

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

5. Collapse Details
    Yea, that's the one from Rorty's site. I would like to get the skinny on the motor he chose, 2.2 or 2.4 exited?

6. Collapse Details
    Ecotec

7. Collapse Details
    https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...gun-build.html

Here is the complete build for you. A really nice build if you ask me.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the build thread link. I started reading the Yellow Dog Racing build page of their Class 3000 car.

The car, with a big bike motor, wouldn't qualify for any class in BITD, SCORE or any other sanctioning body's classes would it? It would also be an almost impossibility to get something like this registered if you wanted to go that direction.

Sorry for the wide array of questions, I just really want to build something and after I finish my chopper I will want to start on this, well after I sell the thing for some seed money to get it going. I started riding Harleys when I stopped riding/racing motocross because I thought it would scratch that inner itch but it wasn't the two wheels that I missed as bad as it was the go-fast-in-the-dirt......

9. Collapse Details
    Casey from BITD MIGHT approve it for 10. I believe he approved John's MC10 for 10. That is a mega competitive class now though. It is also the fastest growing class in desert racing now that sealed ecotecs are legal. The cars are super fast and many top drivers from other classes have been moving to 10 for the competition and "cheaper" prep cost than many of the other limited and unlimited classes. Seeing a 10 in the top 10 overall isn't uncommon. That's running against trophy trucks, 6100s, and Class 1s to give you an idea how fast they are. Build a VERY strong rear bumper...

People have tried to start various forms of classes for minis. They all seem to fizzle out. Minis can be very fast if designed and build for the desert. My single seater is easily as fast as a 5U or 12 car even with its tiny 600. Sportsman is probably the only class that a mini would easily be allowed. You will be racing against very fast 4 seaters and other former heavy hitter cars.

I wish someone would make an unlimited UTV class. That's where we would really be competitive. Minis and full kill race UTVs are identical in almost all regards other than the stock frame they need to use and the bodywork.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the info. Yea, I read that the class 10 is a really stacked field....and ultra competitive. One thing I saw said something like "if you want to race for the win as a beginner, class 10 ain't for you".
    I wouldn't expect to win as a beginner [in any class] but I would give it a good shot. I really miss the camaraderie of bring at the track racing and riding MX, everyone helping each other out and all.....until the gate drops, lol.
    I guess there just aren't enough people with the desire to race that want to run the mini buggys.....but they will spend 40 grand on a race ready UTV? I guess Polaris and Can-Am pony enough in contingencies for the amateurs to chase? Don't get me wrong, they look like a blast but when you can build [or buy] a car with more travel and to your specs...cheaper, I would rather go that direction. I emailed back and forth with Trey Palreiro from Texas Desert Racing Association (TDRA) and it doesn't seem as if they had any classes for the mini buggys. As far as the Texas racing goes, it would be cool to see a Terlingua 250.....with the history of that area and all the awesome terrain, and the mountains there.
    I guess I'll order some plans for the Shotgun and start planning it out, never know what'll happen between now and when I get it finished up.....
    Last edited by EB313; 06-14-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast