Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Who here races their mini buggy?
    Yup. I had a pro class UTV driver/owner check out my current project and he was floored when I told him how much I had into it. He has at least 60k into his current car and has yet to do anything with the motor. I will have less than half that in my car and there will be absolutely no comparison in speed and capability. I have a feeling I'll be shifting into third when he's bouncing off the rev limiter
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

2. Collapse Details
    So, what's the benefit to the MC motor vs the 2.2 or 2.4 Ecotec and CVT? And where do you get the CVT? I'm still trying to figure all this out and get a game plan, so I don't end up with something I can't race.....I may never but I'd hate to build it and figure out that that I can't get into any class.

3. Collapse Details
    Micro-Belmont right here in Grand Rapids Michigan, and I think the other is a guy named Neal, fro ATV racing. I THINK that is the name of the second place for the CVT. As for the benefit, no chains... That was the Achilles tendon so to speak with the race crowd. In my Shotgun, I had no heat related issues in the chain at all. But, I wasn't racing either. Standfast killed chains all the time in his 2nd build he did.

Justin
    Last edited by Deranged; 06-14-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    Nowhere near the desert.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Build the car to BITD/SCORE specs - it's what I did with the 10Dez.

Now go do the smart thing and start grass roots racing - the group out in West Texas, MDR, SNORE, etc (and do these guys still exist? Been out of it a while...). Go play with the smaller groups and learn how to race. Took me a while. First race was 8 miles before the car went kaput. Learn how to drive so you bring the car home, not terrorize everything and destroy the car. Once again, took me a while.

You'll have a blast and spend a lot less $$$. I think it was something like 900 bucks when I did the BITD Class 10 (or what ever Casey called it - 3000?). Whiplash (no longer around) was 150 to enter.

Big races require more people, more stuff, more, more. Smaller groups usually do loops and have smaller areas to worry about having to go find someone in.

---- breaking here - dinner time! ----

I'll be back - and answer that PM you sent me too - although you're getting that info right now.

5. Collapse Details
    I've talked to the people that run VORRA here in Sac.

Their tech guy said more than likely I"d be able to run 10 as well as sportsman.

Short-course to start with, then maybe some Dez stuff for me.

I wanna run that Wild West track in Sparks...............

6. Collapse Details
    I heard back about racing in Texas Desert Racing Association (TDRA). Here is the email response:

Ed,

Depending on the motor we would put them in water cooled 4 cyl, or I am trying to develop a sportsman class as a catchall class.

7. Collapse Details
    That's exactly what you'd want.

If you want torque and grunt, then look into the Ecotec. If you're serious about racing in the bigger series, then go ahead and start out with one from Redline, as it'll be a sealed, race legal motor.

You can go CVT setup or you can do a trans for the Ecotec. It's a darned near bullet proof engine. Doesn't over rev (7,200), runs on cheap pump gas, is inexpensive to purchase, etc..

The Sportsman Class is a blast - sort of "run what ya brung" so you can either have your arse handed to you or get lucky and be the one doing the handing out.
    It was a fun class in Whiplash.

8. Collapse Details
    After seeing the prices of the used 1000cc bike motors I think I will go the ecotec route. I'll start out with a decent used motor, if and when the urge comes I'll get a new sealed one. I tried to find the transaxle for one but came up with mainly adapter plates for the bus transaxle set up. Read that that wasn't a solid route to goat all. I don't want you to have to explain it all to me but can you steer me to a shop/some shops that deal with the transaxles? CVT or shifter? I do like the idea of a bullet proof motor (if there is one, I have heard that a lot about the ecotec though), that only leaves about 23,742 things to worry about now.....

So, you think the Shotgun would be a good platform to start off on? I like the specs and it seems to fit in the 3000 class wheelbase/width. Even if I just run the sportsman's class, the option would still be there.

9. Collapse Details
    I think the R82/Eco would be a great combo.
    Hit up bdkw1 or flyerrider on the transmission options for that engine.

I'm a CVT guy and can't tell you anything other than you have to shift the other transmissions and I hear reverse is tender in some of them???

Ecotec is sort of like the old Honda XR engine - you can just run 'em until they die and then you just add oil and run them even more (but it'll smoke).

Stone ax reliable for the most part.

10. Collapse Details
    The transaxle is the ONLY reason why I didn't build my current car as a full kill ecotec powered class 10. Before you go on Mendeola's website, do yourself a HUGE favor and go buy a pair of adult diapers.

My choice for a transaxle would be a Mendeola LQ6 if I couldn't swing a buddy deal with Pat and Chris Weisman. The only reason for the choice in the Mendi over the sequential 6 speed Fortin would be rebuild cost. Fortins have better cases though. The new Alumicraft cars are all running the LQ6s and they are stacking up a pretty impressive resume
    Last edited by flyerrider; 06-15-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast