Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Formula Desert Lites
    Turbo I am in Temecula CA right now. I dont think I can make it up to Barstow this weekend. I hope you can make it out to this race, I'd like to add you to the list of Ody aka class Formula LITE drivers kicking this deal off. What part of Texas? I recently came back to Cal from living in Medina TX in the hill country. I also have a lot of family in Dallas.

2. Collapse Details
    I am on the opposite side of San Antonio from Medina! Out in Seguin! I used to live in Banderan and castroville areas years ago!
    My job makes it real hard to "commit" to a race simply because I don't know if I can find a load in this direction! I tried real hard to make the last glen helen race with Jerry, but couldn't "buy" a load going this way! I will try real hard, but I also know I have a race in El Paso same weekend!
    Temecula is way south of here so no don't make a special trip on my account!

3. Collapse Details
    I've been reading this thread and want to put my 2cents.
    I'm a person that wants to build a mini n want to get into racing
    Either a 2seater or 1. I don't have much money and been interested in one
    of Tuts frames. But if you get one class that has 80" wheelbase, 70" width and
    Use a motor 500cc or less you would get people to race, even people that have trophy karts,
    all they have 2 do is take the bodies off. You can get teenager to race this class also.
    They have 450's on them and easier 2 build one w/ those motors, that's what I want build.
    The next class you can have 100" wheelbase 80" width and the motor 800cc or less. You can use
    quad motors like the Raptor, Honda and some dirt bike motors. And w/ the next class you can have
    110" wheelbase 90" width and for motors you can have 2 different types. Being that street bike motors
    have more horsepower, 800cc for single seat buggies and 1200cc for the 2 seater since there's a lot
    of 2 seat mini's w/ hayabusa motors out there 2 race this this class. W/ the 1st class u can also get people that
    have pilots and old stadium karts out and eac that class too. I've wanting 2 build one 4 awhile now.
    Been looking at what people build, the specs and everything. There's people that sell them turnkey and some you
    build your own. If you look at Tuts website he has 2 minis in here already. The small stadium and the desert stadium he's
    building for himself. Even his small a-arm buggy, put a street bike motor and you got the last class.
    This is my 2cents from someone that's not racing but does want 2 get in to. But its just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Fu21cc; 09-22-2010 at 04:20 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pride_in_motion View Post
    Now you can see why I posted these as a work in progress. This is a group for the racers to develop this into the best possible group of classes for moto powered vehicles. Me and XMOTORCR have been back and forth on the split between the 1200 and 800 in fact we had a 600 class that was aimed at the old desert lites (74" wheelbase 72" track), I cut it out and kind of split the differance on wheel base between the 800 and 600 class so as not to have so many classes at first. We plan on a spec class in the near future but that will only happen with factory involvement.

I think I might just go back to laying it out like this

F1200 100" WB 86" TRACK
    F800 95" WB 80" TRACK
    FLITE 83" WB 74" TRACK 600cc 4stroke 440cc two stroke (stock 750 weber allowed)

I will work on the light rules to loosen them up for events where we are not sharing a course with full size class 1 cars.

As far as the emergency supplies I will make a note about not needed for short course. The food and water thing I wish I had one time on a 20 mile loop in ara when I got off course and broke down...summer sun in barstow sucks! and an energy bar might have been good too lol

I think rules should be done with a board type situation where one man does not control all decisions. I nominate TUT to be on that board along with Jerry aka XMOTO
    We have the class you are looking for, FORMULA LITE. If Trophy Karts wanted to play I wouldn't make them shed the body, I am curious how they would do on a real desert course. I hope you can build something and get involved. Remember one of the best ways to get into it is get out and help someone.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pride_in_motion View Post
    We have the class you are looking for, FORMULA LITE. If Trophy Karts wanted to play I wouldn't make them shed the body, I am curious how they would do on a real desert course. I hope you can build something and get involved. Remember one of the best ways to get into it is get out and help someone.
    the trophy karts do real good in the deserts if the shocks are tuned right!

6. Collapse Details
    I edited and updated the rules that I posted at the beginning of this thread. These are probably not the final draft, but do not foresee any major changes to them before the start of the 2011 season. I still want INPUT from those interested in competing in FORMULA DESERT LITES. The OCT 23 race is coming up and I have updated the upcoming events thread with entry form and map. If you want to see a video of what you can expect at on of our race terrain wise check out the homepage of AVE,
    here is a link...Alta Vista Events - Official Site - California City, California, USA

7. Collapse Details
    why are you limiting the formula lites to a 440cc 2 stroke instead of a 500cc? that cuts out a lot of pilots who have done the 500cc conversion, or build buggies with a 500cc sled motor??? for years the limit has been 500cc's! You made an exception to the weber motors???

8. Collapse Details
    You are right about the 500cc for two strokes absolutely, I dropped the ball on that one. As for the weber, yes I made an exception for the weber simply because it makes around 75 horse stock, a 500 like you are talking about makes 80 or so. I also will limit any motor if it shows a major proven advantage over the other motors. I will either bump that up a class or impose weight restrictions. This class is proving to be the toughest to write rules for because of a span of 25+ years of technology and trying to make that fit. I really would like to see Trophy karts fit into the lite class without making too many changes. My original intent was to make the lites class 75"-80" wb and 74" track, and have the motors around the FL350 to the 500cr/weber750 range. But people keep wanting it longer and wider so it has become formula extenze instead of formula lite. I think I should go back to the shorter wheelbase for the true lites class, wheelbase is the key to going fast in the desert, so that limitation will outweigh HP numbers in my opinion. INPUT? INPUT? INPUT?

9. Collapse Details
    Wheel base or suspension set up will be the major factor in winning! I have a pilot with stock suspension that is faster than my 350 ody, but the Works Shocks I have make the ody ride thru the rough stuff so much better! wheelbase needs to be similar just because of the overall size of the vehicle needs to be close for obvious reason! I would hate to get run over by a larger car! As opposed to being bumped from behind! The trophy karts shold do weLl in the lites class even with a 450 thumper merely because of there suspension, and light wieght! Size wise they should fit right in!I kinda like the 25 year old "history" in this class, and welcome the newer technology!

10. Collapse Details
    I am in the process of building one of our mini buggies for racing and this F1200 class would work great for my car. We have built two of these for the sand but they are heavy duty enough to be desert cars. They have the 1000cc Yamaha Apex snowmobile engine. The wheel base will be about 95" and rear track width of about 80" depending on the tire and wheel set up. I want to use 15 wheels instead of the 12" used on the car now only because they would be cheaper. Currently the car weighs 950 lbs and the chassis is 1.5" 095 DOM and suspension is all 1.25" 120 Chromoly. Travel all around is 18". I will look for more information in the coming months. I will also post my progress with this build. I live up in Nor Cal so I might be running it at VORRA.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast