Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Formula Desert Lites
    Pride updated his rules as many of us our like you.
    My car is about 92 maybe all said an done 93 inches long on wheel base also and I am going for a 700cc raptor motor.
    His update now has up to 100 inch wheel base and up to 800cc in the next class down.
    Then the 1200cc class is for the even larger buggies etc.

Also Pride is trying to set up an organization to push mini buggy racing to allow us to race more places and be more organized. He is trying to work with everyone the best he can to help out.
    If you have info contact him and if you just want to go race in the desert contact me for more info on places you can currently race any buggy you have. You will be racing in one class with everyone for now but you can race.

I think part of why the mini buggy racing is not "taking off" is that we are not very organized and if someone like Pride is working on just that is will only help us all out.
    For now we all agree we may all just have to be as close to the rules as we can and everyone give a little to get this off the ground.
    But later we can fine tune the rules etc. when we have enough people actually racing.

If anyone wants any information about racing in the desert, rules for what organizations want, where to race etc. by all means contact me I will be more then willing to help you get out there and race the best I can.

The more of us that race just helps Pride make better rules for all of us, gets more people involved such as sponsors as well and lets the promotors know we are serious. All of this gets us our own series and events and gets us racing in more places.

I think its a great idea and look forward to the day I will have my mini done and I will be racing.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonico View Post
    Hi
    You probably noticed that I had taken a stab at something similar. The main difference was that I was trying to start an independent series to be run on a shorten track using mostly existing tracks in the Barstow area. I simply could not find Insurane.
    It appears that you are trying to have your races within existing races/promoters. Similar to what the JeepSpeed series does. This is a good idea and in fact I was starting to think along the same lines.
    The issues here are that you' ll have to abide by the safety rules in the specific promoters organization. As far I can tell NONE allow cages of 1 1/4" tubing. The common reson given is that even though for a under 1000lb vehicle the cage would be adequate, you are sharing the track with much larger and faster vehicles. In a collision this could get dangerous. So seperate races to allow 1 1/4" tubing would be a must.
    I have to admit that I was also disheartened by responces that wanted almost no safety requirements were in a majority. They simply wanted to put a helmet on and go racing. I actually saw this first hand in a race at Pala. They were racing in t-shirts and jeans with cages of doubious quality. Fuel Cells? What fuel cells? This was from the UTV crowd....
    With this said I am willing to help you if you need. I live in Hesperia.
    Most existing promoters usually have a sportsman class which would be ideal to enter in and keep a seperate scoring system, again as long as you follow the existing safety rules.
    Speaking about location. Are you planning to make this a moving series like JeepSpeed? This could be hard financially for guys interested in this kind of racing. There will be a few that can afford to run in multiple lcations but I suspect that most only want to race locally
    Regards
    Tony
    Thanks Tony, I know I will be needing help in the very near future. Certain classes will be limited to running a course with only like sized vehicles, so the smaller tubing will not come into play.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
    Looks just like what a lot of us have been waiting for. Keeps us updated on the races...
    I will have an exciting update tomorrow night about the series and an upcoming race!

4. Collapse Details
    TURBO I will answer your questions in the order you asked them.

Regarding the rules and the Honda Pilot's and Odysseys
    ACR 2 Where will all this required equipment fit at in these small vehicles? One day's worth of water and food? We talking a gallon, a case of 20 oz disposables? Crackers and trail bars or hot dogs and a BBQ?
    Triangles and flags take up quite a bit of room along with a 9 compartment first aid kit?

I know it can be done, these cars raced in SCORE in BAJA and you'd be surprised what can fit into a desert lite. A couple water bottles and a couple energy bars works for food and water.

ACR 12 Why all these lights? I have a stock tail/stop light 3x6 inches, and a led amber strobe light 2x4 inches that is visible 100 yards plus. The added drain on the battery and wieght off all these extra lights will surely drain the battery!

In my update to the rules below the complete rules I changed it to one amber and two tail lights with the extra lights only for races where we run with larger cars and the promoter requests it.

ACR 15... These Honda's have been around for 20 plus years and have the safest fuel tanks built and designed by Honda, why remove it for something "new" and with out near as long of a track record???

I will allow stock tanks in the FL350, PILOT, and REDLINE, but if you show up with an FL350 with a busa motor uhhh no you need a cell... and a head examination.

ACR 20 no need for an oil cooler on a 2 stroke!

That rule refers to required safe mounting if you use a cooler, not the need to have one.

ACR 22 is the Stock OEM roll cage on a pilot or Odyssey approved, or do I need to "buy an aftermarket cage??? I refer to the 20+++ year track record!!!

At the bottom of ACR22 it says stock cages allowed on a case by case basis, that is similar to the cells.

ACR 24.8 The Odyssey came with a metal roof, the Pilot has a small PLastic roof OEM will this need to be replaced?

Metal roof is required.

ACR25 Stock seat on a Pilot is far better than a suspension seat... I have never wrecked with a suspension seat, but the one piece construction of the pilot has held up for 20+ years and several crashes... Proven design from Honda...

I will allow stock seats in the Hondas and Redlines but they must be in as new condition.

ACR 26 Bulkhead on a Honda Pilot or Odyssey is certian death to a motor... Needed to help cool the engine I again revert back to the 20+++ years of proven performance from Honda...
    ACR 29 Firewall is the same as a bulkhead since it is a rear engine system...

What I am looking for is a partition to keep any gas or other liquids from entering the drivers compartment in the event of a turnover. I know it can be done and if you need help with anything come by my shop when you are in So Cal.

I have raced this pilot here in Texas, with Whiplash in Arizona, and at Glen Helen's Short course events, I would be very interested in this venue

I look forward to you racing with us. And unlike your recent experience with a promoter, I will return your calls and answer your posts on the forums. I am sorry I took so long to answer my computer melted on me.
    Last edited by pride_in_motion; 09-07-2010 at 12:38 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    The date for the first Formula Desert Lite event is up on the event calender section. OCT. 23

6. Collapse Details
    Darn! Well maybe I can trade my busa motor I was going to drop into my odyssey for a metal roof plate! Lol so that and a second tail light is about all I need that I can do! The bulkhead is where I need some help with! I have been planning to put a splash gaurd at the right side of the seat so when I pit for fuel I don't have to get out of the harness! I will take picture tomorrow in the daylight to show the area, and see what you think needs to be done! The pilot is water cooled so it might not bother the cooling but the odyssey is an air cooled motor! I do have a liquid cooled head on it but but it still needs the airflow over the fins to properly cool it!
    Where at are you in SoCal? I am in barstow all weekend and plan on riding at the outlet center area most of the weekend! I might go watch some of the race in lucerne valley!
    I will try to make the october race!

Quote Originally Posted by pride_in_motion View Post
    TURBO I will answer your questions in the order you asked them.

Regarding the rules and the Honda Pilot's and Odysseys
    ACR 2 Where will all this required equipment fit at in these small vehicles? One day's worth of water and food? We talking a gallon, a case of 20 oz disposables? Crackers and trail bars or hot dogs and a BBQ?
    Triangles and flags take up quite a bit of room along with a 9 compartment first aid kit?

I know it can be done, these cars raced in SCORE in BAJA and you'd be surprised what can fit into a desert lite. A couple water bottles and a couple energy bars works for food and water.

ACR 12 Why all these lights? I have a stock tail/stop light 3x6 inches, and a led amber strobe light 2x4 inches that is visible 100 yards plus. The added drain on the battery and wieght off all these extra lights will surely drain the battery!

In my update to the rules below the complete rules I changed it to one amber and two tail lights with the extra lights only for races where we run with larger cars and the promoter requests it.

ACR 15... These Honda's have been around for 20 plus years and have the safest fuel tanks built and designed by Honda, why remove it for something "new" and with out near as long of a track record???

I will allow stock tanks in the FL350, PILOT, and REDLINE, but if you show up with an FL350 with a busa motor uhhh no you need a cell... and a head examination.

ACR 20 no need for an oil cooler on a 2 stroke!

That rule refers to required safe mounting if you use a cooler, not the need to have one.

ACR 22 is the Stock OEM roll cage on a pilot or Odyssey approved, or do I need to "buy an aftermarket cage??? I refer to the 20+++ year track record!!!

At the bottom of ACR22 it says stock cages allowed on a case by case basis, that is similar to the cells.

ACR 24.8 The Odyssey came with a metal roof, the Pilot has a small PLastic roof OEM will this need to be replaced?

Metal roof is required.

ACR25 Stock seat on a Pilot is far better than a suspension seat... I have never wrecked with a suspension seat, but the one piece construction of the pilot has held up for 20+ years and several crashes... Proven design from Honda...

I will allow stock seats in the Hondas and Redlines but they must be in as new condition.

ACR 26 Bulkhead on a Honda Pilot or Odyssey is certian death to a motor... Needed to help cool the engine I again revert back to the 20+++ years of proven performance from Honda...
    ACR 29 Firewall is the same as a bulkhead since it is a rear engine system...

What I am looking for is a partition to keep any gas or other liquids from entering the drivers compartment in the event of a turnover. I know it can be done and if you need help with anything come by my shop when you are in So Cal.

I have raced this pilot here in Texas, with Whiplash in Arizona, and at Glen Helen's Short course events, I would be very interested in this venue

I look forward to you racing with us. And unlike your recent experience with a promoter, I will return your calls and answer your posts on the forums. I am sorry I took so long to answer my computer melted on me.

7. Collapse Details
    If you make it to Lucerne this week end and get to the vacinity of the road crossing at RM4 myself and my wife will be running that crossing. Stop by and say hi.
    Tony

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the invite Tony! I am trying to find a good map of where the race IS and then a layout of the course! I might be able to find it over at the tech area today off of outlet center exit! I will have to park the big rig off lenwood, behind the KFC if ya happen to get that far up, or see a pilot darting around in the trails say hi! If you can find a map that would be great!
    David
    210-831-8764

9. Collapse Details
    The race is not in the Barstow area. It is in Lucerne Valley (Johnson Valley) Google map Lucern Valley. The map of the course is online in the more WEB site. http://moreracing.net/10/maps/chili.pdf.
    Tech will be at SlashX today from 5-9pm.
    Tony

10. Collapse Details
    Tut had mentioned they were going to tech here at the outlet mall exit? I guess they changed that? No worries ! I will try to make it outy there! I am supposed to pick up at 29 palms usmc base monday!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast