1. Collapse Details
    Edge X2 SXS Crossover Thingy Build
    Hello Everyone!

Cheers from Greece. So, now that the weather has cooled down, I'm getting started on a build. I've pondered many different ideas and buggy styles, but finally decided to go with a new build, versus a resto-mod of an old VW powered frame I have. It was ridiculously heavy and in need of too much TLC. Some time ago I happened across the Edge X2 plans on eBay. They were a fairly economical solution to my problem, so I decided to purchase a set. After a long wait for the CD to arrive via mail, I contacted the Edge and explained that my CD had not arrived. After email 'ping pong', they finally emailed me a downloadable .pdf file of what appears to be scans of the drawings themselves. I can only guess that's why they were economical.

Anyway, after studying the plans for a while, I noticed some things I really didn't like as much after getting my hands on them. First, I can't see myself using the top (hood area) of the front. The downward slope is too much for me...I prefer the blunt nose appearance of most modern SXS models. Second, I'm not digging the door areas so much. I'd like to widen it out a bit (see lastly) and change the cross bar and bracing, and probably make some functioning doors. Lastly, I believe I have my mind set to change the subframe. I'm working on a drawing right now that combines the X2 design and the Polaris RZR 800. This would allow me to widen out the roll cage at the base and get rid of the heavily tapered appearance at the rear of the cockpit area.

For a little further down the road, I'm also wanting to go the trailing arms route with this build. I've looked at the S1 rearend design by the Edge, but I'm leaning away from it at the moment. I'm not fabbing the rear part of the buggy now on purpose until I make up mind for sure.

If anyone has any build experience to share with the X2, please feel free to give a shout and share your experience. Of course, all other builds/builders are welcome to chime in with good advice and experiences in building. Frame design changes for the areas mentioned are MOST welcome!!!!

Cheers to ALL and good luck with your builds.

AlfA01

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Edge X2 SXS Crossover Thingy Build
    Anyone using the weight calculator here at Calculatoredge? I put in tubular steel with dimensions of 150cm L x 40mm D x 2mm Wall Thickness and it gave me a calculation of around 2.87 Kgs or 6.19 Lbs. Does that seem accurate? Over here in Greece, they tend to sell all metal products by the Kilo, so I'm trying to get a farily accurate assumption of my steel costs before I go to buy them. Helps me plan and budget a bit.

Tubing Weight Calculations.PNG

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    Also, looking for electric power steering/ power assist solutions (proven solutions). What have you guys had success with? I've seen some folks reporting
    on Saturn and Chevrolet parts, but those are probably not available to me over here. What about the Subaru/Scion units? Anyone have any success with those?

5. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    pictures
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa01 View Post
    Anyone using the weight calculator here at Calculatoredge? I put in tubular steel with dimensions of 150cm L x 40mm D x 2mm Wall Thickness and it gave me a calculation of around 2.87 Kgs or 6.19 Lbs. Does that seem accurate? Over here in Greece, they tend to sell all metal products by the Kilo, so I'm trying to get a farily accurate assumption of my steel costs before I go to buy them. Helps me plan and budget a bit.
    I ended up with 2.76Kg using an online calculator that I found: https://mdmetric.com/tech/calcweightmetric.htm - just a bit over six pounds. I did a quick search of online metal suppliers and the couple that I found were expensive for tubing and didn't offer longer lengths.