Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Twin, GSXR1000 Barracuda build
    In the beginning ( a proper way to start a thread ) I knew nothing of this forum, or what others have done with these grown up go karts. I found the Edge web site through Google and never being one to shrink from a challenge decided to build a Barracuda. With four sons and a spouse, all taking turns driving, and a desire to range out pretty far, I decided to build two…. Since setting up and making the first part is a large effort, doing an extra set of everything at the same time made sense to me. So this is it, a twin build, two Baracudas.
    Since I am doing everything as close to the plans as I can, there isn’t a lot of “new thought,” from a design stand point. After a friend refered me to this site, I have been reading posts for the last year. There seem to be a lot of questions on how to do things. So my plan on this thread is to focus on how I am making parts, and putting this thing together rather than the design. I suspect some of my methods will be fairly primitive to those of you who are machinists etc.. but they have worked for me so far and might help others. (if nothing else, an example of how you don’t want to do it. )
    I started with the lathe work since I wanted to do the most time consuming/least expensive work first. I didn’t see the point in having a $1000 chassis sitting there gathering dust while I machined and fabricated the suspension and drive components for the next two years.

My lathe is a 1953 Sears 6” bench top model with a 4 jaw independent chuck. I paid $600 for it. It is smooth and tight, but about as basic as you can get.

I added a quick change tool holder, and got a magnetic 2” dial indicator to keep track of lateral carriage movement. It has all of the gears for cutting threads, and various carbide and tool steel cutters.

I started with the various adapters and spacers. As the parts got more complicated, I researched and learned how to make each new cut. Most cuts don’t need to be high precision since they are for clearance etc.. If you look at how the part interfaces and goes together it isn’t hard to know what has to be precise and what can be approximate. For those cuts like bearing seats that need to be within 0.0005 inches, approaching them slow with great care and knowing how the machine cuts gets the precision needed on a basic machine. I now have all of the machining done except a few spacers.

These spindles are a good example. The bearing seats need to be precise, but no other measurement needs to be closer than a few thousands ..... some within a 1/16th is good.

The threads were turned on the lathe, but chased with a die to clean them up.

The hub is a little more difficult. I did all of the external work first, then the bore. Removing the piece, turning end for end and remounting the piece making all of the cuts external and internal for that end. In each case it is a process of establishing a referance surface that has a precise location and making all cuts as an offset to that surface.

Tapers are cut by setting the cross slide to the desired angle and using the cross slide feed to make the cut. You use the fore aft feeds to position the cutter.

The bearing holders and hubs for the rear drive were more of the same ... just in aluminum that cuts much faster.

For drilling, since I didn't have a rotary table, I calculated the precise location of each hole using Trig. My mill has a digital read out, so after centering the clamped piece, I drilled at each coordinate location.

Enough for now.

Leo
    Last edited by leok; 01-11-2013 at 02:14 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Twin GSXR1000 Barracuda build
    Nice, I think this a great concept for a build thread. Focus on the tooling and skills needed rather then the buggy design. Can't wait to see more.
    Currently on a two year walkabout

3. Collapse Details
    I am subscribing to this thread. I want to do a similar thing. I have never done any machine work, but I am looking for a lathe and/or a mill to start making parts for my next build too. Thanks for posting all your work.

4. Collapse Details
    Pattern cutting plate …….

I know a lot of the people on the board have their parts cut by waterjet. Having owned a 50 hp two head water jet, I know how nice of a job they do. However, the water jet is gone and I wanted to utilize my plasma.

Here are four large and four small plates to mount the front A arms. The first thing I do is draw the part and spray glue the drawing to a piece of 1/4" plywood.

I cut patterns out of ¼ inch plywood, offsetting the drawing by about 1/8" to allow for the tip of the plasma gun. Then I relieve the edges on my router table to a thickness that works with the plasma gun.

The plasma slides smoothly around cutting the various shapes from 1/4 inch steel.

I clip the pattern onto the steel with spring clamps, moving as needed to go around the pattern. I can get +/- 1/16th of an inch without much problem. If I need better, I set a datum and machine any high accuracy areas as needed.

In this case I machined the flats and notches to get a datum to use for drilling the holes. That way I can clamp all of the pieces in exactly the same position.
    These pedal boxes were made the same way.

It has worked well. If the edges need to be welded, you have to get all of the dross (slag, melted stuff, ick) off by grinding or the weld will be full of porosity.

Happy building....
    Leo
    Last edited by leok; 12-15-2010 at 09:04 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes!another spray gluer!I also used a glue stick to stick a printed out pattern to aluminum ,then bandsaw,and spindle sand to the pattern.

Great thread,thanks for taking the time.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

6. Collapse Details
    Great thread! You have done a nice job on all of the machining.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone....

You can't beat spray glue when you need to attach a paper pattern to material for cutting. Nothing moves! The down side is the only thing that will take the stuff off is acetone or laqure thinner.

8. Collapse Details
    Nice work!! I love the "I dont need fancy tools" thought process. It allows us to remember that before water jet and laser there were actual artists creating these parts. I use a very simillar method as well and the plywood tactic works awesome. Cant wait to see more pics.

Subscribed

9. Collapse Details
    Great thread. For small parts I use adhesive backed printer paper. Draw the part in cad then print out 1 to 1
    It too is a pain to remove.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS. View Post
    Great thread. For small parts I use adhesive backed printer paper. Draw the part in cad then print out 1 to 1
    It too is a pain to remove.
    Rick have you tried low tack vinyl, its the stuff I use as well. Its used for making templates for decals and it comes off really easy. I paid $150 cad for a 150' roll

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast