Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Modified BadLand Build
    Nice St2, I love the a-armis pretty cool, is that expensive the have them finish like this ?i like the direct but will reinforce the rear notched tubing.

Hope we can meet one of these day, all of us in SO CA.
    "Anything is possible, it's just matter of Time, Money "
    "Always think out of the box"

2. Collapse Details
    looks great ! hows the front supension work with the shocks mounted *at that angle?

3. Collapse Details
    Nice job!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by buggito\";p=\"64984
    Nice St2, I love the a-armis pretty cool, is that expensive the have them finish like this ?i like the direct but will reinforce the rear notched tubing.

Hope we can meet one of these day, all of us in SO CA.
    Not expensive at all. *I know a guy. *The angle of view of the notch on the rear 1.25 square tubing may be missleading. *The inside of the notch is reinforced and overall only about 1/2" of tubing surface area was lost.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by geestyle\";p=\"64994
    looks great ! hows the front supension work with the shocks mounted *at that angle?
    Well, after measuring, re-measuring, calculating, moving, redisigning and re-measuring more times than I care to count, that angle is what I came up with to get 20" of travel at the wheel with a 10" travel air shock. *My goal was getting maximum travel from the a-arms without it affecting the steering geometry at full compression or extension of the suspension. *I also wanted to avoid building any shock mounting towers above the basic frame. *Jumping on the front end as hard as I can I managed to get the frame within 6" of the floor and rebound was dampened very nicely. *It actually worked out better than I had anticipated.

6. Collapse Details
    That sounds pretty soft...
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

7. Collapse Details
    20inch of travel from 10 inch shock nice must be very soft though shocks arnt working right but w/e as long as it works for you right! *[smilie=thumbs_up.gif]

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    2:1 motion ratio is just about perfect.

It's the angle that the shocks end up with in relation to the suspension arm at full compression that can be an issue. *The leverage ratio goes up and the shock is forced to work a lot harder to push back when laid over versus standing more upright.

That said, the air shocks are a rising rate spring setup, so it will combat the leverage problem much better than a regular coil over spring would.

When you start pushing the car, does it tend to bottom out up front? *You should feel a progressive damping (slowing of the shock) during compression, but the laid over setup tends to overpower the valving and you end up with a very linear feeling damping - or the damping feels like it's fading as the suspension gets closer to full compression.

This is why I ended up with a pair of hoops sticking above the front of my desert car instead of the shocks being down low and keeping things sleek looking.

[url=https://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=767:28nq1 xbd]Give this a read. *It explains a lot about suspension design[/url:28nq1xbd]

Beautiful build, by the way. *I really like the cadmium coating of the suspension parts.

9. Collapse Details
    Dangle angle
    The angle of the air shock mounting was a concern for me also. *In measuring and sketching the front suspension it was noted that the angle of the shock to the a-arm incresed with compression. *This combined with the air-shock rising spring rate with compression made me feel better about while designing the front suspension. *The air shocks are able to accept a much higher nitrogen pre-load than I require and I actually had to air them down from my initial estimated pre-load of 350 psi. *The ride was just too hard. *After reducing the pre-load, the suspension became much more active. *The spring rate definately increases with compression while driving and the damping is very consistent. *

7 days til it hits the sand and dirt for the first time.

10. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Cool to hear this. *Like I said above, an air shock should work better in this app than a coil over and you're verifying it.

Once you get out in the dirt and start to get a feel for the suspension it will be interesting to see how the valving is.

With the lay down setup and the need for a rising rate spring, the damping on the higher speed hits may need to be stiffened.

One trick you might try on the shock valving is if you find that you need stiffer rebound and/or compression damping but still want the supple initial ride, pull the shocks apart and check the pistons for bleed holes. *

The pistons should already have four small holes (I believe they are .075" in diam.) pre-drilled in them. *If you don't have any drilled through, try opening up two of them (diagonally from each other). *If you have two drilled through, open up all four. *You can also open them up to about .100" if it still seems too rough.

This lets the oil bypass the shim stacks, but still dampens the motion. *Once the shaft speed gets to a certain speed, the holes hydraulic lock and are pretty *much not there, forcing the shim stacks to do their jobs.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast