Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: ST2-NG questions
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    That really sucks!

If you need to, water cooled all the way. Let's hope you can get the motor you have going though. My fingers are crossed for you.
    That's the plan. Water cooled should theoretically last longer, especially in the summer heat. But as long as I had a cylinder temp gauge to monitor one or both cylinders on the fan cooled, should be fine. But those temp gauges are a huge pain to find these days. Panteras had them stock in the 1970s and 80s. Good luck even finding one for VW air cooled (trust me all out of stock or discontinued). Water cooled would be a lot easier to get a coolant temp gauge. Just finding anything at a reasonable price that runs is a pain.

2. Collapse Details
    Just a pest $$$ wise.

Don't stress to much. I've thrown that much good money at things that don't pan out. Lol

Your doing well. Just frustrating.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

3. Collapse Details
    Just been reading through several build threads of other buggies on here, not ST2s. Trying to see what I could maybe implement into this build. Finding wheels is kind of a pain. Im wanting to go with Kenda K299 Bearclaws 25x10x11, but wheels are easier said than done to fine. If I have to get custom hubs made, so be it. Going to have to have custom ones made for the front since I'm going to want front brakes. Don't have access to a mill or lathe so I'll be out sourcing that. Need to get a tube bender though or out source that as well since I have no experience in tube bending, only sheet metal with a manual brake.

4. Collapse Details
    So just for S&Gs, I know they recommend a minimum of a 400cc engine, but how would say a Ninja 250R do? It's a bit over 30hp, about 20 less than what my Arctic Cat could put out, but as a fall back engine, would it do me well? Upside its water cooled, downside, relatively small displacement. Could gear it a bit easier than the sled, plus wouldn't have to worry about clutch tuning as much.

5. Collapse Details
    It's torque that would be your problem. It would work but it's asking a lot of a 250cc.

6. Collapse Details
    It's torque that would be your problem. It would work but it's asking a lot of a 250cc.
    That's kind of what I thought, so I would have to look at a larger displacement engine, probably stay around the 500cc and go up. Not looking for a liter engine, I kind of enjoy living.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JagerDanger View Post
    Not looking for a liter engine, I kind of enjoy living.
    LOL Soft!

8. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    What about a Polaris 500 4-stroke engine? It would use CVT clutches, it's fairly compact and has about 37 stock horsepower. The engines also have a nice amount of torque. Parts are also plentiful and relatively cheap. What's not to like?

9. Collapse Details
    LOL Soft!
    I'm not much of a speed demon. I've test driven for work several Hellcats, Hellcat Redeye, and the new TRX, the power is nice, but the occasional uncontronability is not worth it. Maybe if I was building say the Megalodon or a 2 seater, I'd consider a liter engine.

Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    What about a Polaris 500 4-stroke engine? It would use CVT clutches, it's fairly compact and has about 37 stock horsepower. The engines also have a nice amount of torque. Parts are also plentiful and relatively cheap. What's not to like?
    Cost is the huge factor. Unless I can find a wrecked sled for a few bills can't afford it. I've looked for even the 500cc Phazer, can't find one for under $5000. Doesn't mean I won't keep an eye out. But I'm in Nebraska and snow doesn't stick around long enough usually for people to have a sled here. Doesn't mean I can't look at least here or surrounding states.

10. Collapse Details
    Got some decent news, the Panther engine has finally turned with the pull start rope. Next step is to blow out both cylinder with compressed air and fill both cylinders with 2 stroke oil. Then go from there. Still going to look at other engines just incase.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9