Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: ST2-NG questions
    Haven't done much with this project. Not sure at this point when I'll be starting it. Want to first see if the snowmobile engine I have will even start, but that's back in Minnesota still. That also needs to wiring redone, may have to pull the heads and examine everything internally. Want to make sure the engine will even run before I get going, incase I have to get a different engine and even a different gearbox.

At current, I have a 1990s Polaris Trail Boss 350 4x4 gearbox that I want to use on this, because it has hi-lo-reverse, 3.5:1 low range, 1:1 high and 3.5:1 reverse, with a CVT input and sprocket output. One thing I'm running into is, with the output sprocket, there doesn't appear to be a notch machined into the shaft to keep the sprocket from sliding side to side, either on the very inboard splines, and out board splines. My plan is to either cut down that output shaft, or if nothing else, find the bearing that is supposed to support the shaft as it would in the 4x4 quad. Is there supposed to be like a clip or something that holds the sprockets on this shaft, or are they supposed to move around? I may look at other ATV/UTV gearboxes in case this one isn't very good or I have to go to a different engine setup all together. Also, yes I do have sprocket that fit, I believe I ordered the smallest tooth count available for this which I believe was either 11 or 12 count. Shooting for about 8:1 in high range, so may have to run another jackshaft to the output, or just run it in low range all the time.

That's another question I have, with ATV gearboxes, is it safe to run them in low range all the time at higher speeds? I have only driven quads either at low speed 4wd or in 2wd and I'm asking in the way where if you are driving a 4wd truck or SUV and drop into 4lo, you are only supposed to go 15mph tops as to not damage the transfer case. That the same in these gearboxes in that regard or not?

2. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I've worked on the Polaris 350 4x4 quads in the past, plus plenty of Polaris ATV transmissions. From what I remember, there should be a groove for a snap ring to keep the sprocket up next to the transmission. Is the shaft mostly smooth, then transitions to a spline? The snap ring should go right at the transition. Worst case scenario, you can uses spacers on the shaft to keep the sprocket in place.

I thought the Polaris transmissions had less than 1:1 gearing for high gear. It's easy to confirm. Rotate the input shaft and count the revolutions on the output shaft. I'm not sure that the transmission would be happy running in low gear all the time.

3. Collapse Details
    I'll have to double check the output shaft for a cutout. It very well could be less than 1:1 but its dang near close to it. The driven pulley shaft has a nick in it that was circled with a sharpie and I used that to count the output revolutions when I had picked it up and it was right around 1:1, could be like .95:1.

That's what I was wondering about running it in low range, and kind of what I figured would be the case. Just wanted to double check before i did that and ended up grenading the gearbox out of my own ignorance.

4. Collapse Details
    Took some pictures of the gearbox. It looks like theres a faint cut in the in board splines for a c-clip to hold the sprocket in place, but I'm not sure. The gearbox ratios appear to be harder to determine at the moment than I recall when I first looked at them over a year ago when I got it.

Apparently I cannot upload the pictures, I'll have to try something to get them on here.

So I can upload, but the files are either too large even with my edits, or I'm doing something wrong. Won't post more than these just so I don't clog up bandwidth more than I just did, especially for this thread.

5. Collapse Details
    20210905_210434.jpg

Unsure of this tag.

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    20210905_210315.jpg

May be able to make out the cut in the sprocket splines, can't upload the closer picture since the file maybe too large.

8. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    For posting pictures, I use a digital camera set at 1024x768 and the pictures post up just fine. If your pictures are larger, reduce them down to 1024x768 to fix the problem.

I went out to www.babbittsonline.com and looked up the schematic for the 350 4x4 gearcase. The shaft supports two sprockets, one for the front and one for the rear. The rear sprockets sits up against the gearcase. Between the two sprockets is a snap ring (Part #3231531), so the groove in the middle of the splines is for that purpose. Install the rear sprocket, install the snap ring, Bob's your uncle!!!

The rear sprocket would actually mount with the flange-side facing inwards, to act as a spacer for the sprocket.

If your gearcase is 1:1, then I would use a secondary jackshaft to gear it down. Yeah, just what you wanted to hear. For the lower gear and for reverse, the transmission uses a silent chain. I don't think it would be as robust as the 1:1 gearing. I know that I've replaced more than my fair share of those chains because they get stretched out fairly easy.

9. Collapse Details
    Using a Galaxy "smart" phone, did my best to shrink them down in the edit tool within the phone, but some of the pictures were still too large.

So that makes a lot more sense with the in board sprocket for the rear facing inward like that to act as a spacer. The snap ring should be no problem to chase down. Then get a support bearing. Now would it be beneficial to use the one stub shaft on there go mount the disc brake there and use it as a parking brake, or should that just be tied in with the main rear brake?

10. Collapse Details
    I screen shot the pics if to large and upload the screen shot. Seems to work.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast