Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: ST2-NG questions
    Quote Originally Posted by aschn View Post
    you can build the buggy without shocks, but be careful when you weld in the shock tabs and other components around the A arms.

If you are building off plans, you could make a few sets of tubes that take the place of the shock. One set could be full-out and the other set could be full-in.

Also, look into AFCO shocks. They're used primarily for dirt track and drag racing, but SAE Baja buggies use them as well. They use the nitrogen filled coilovers shocks with adjustable rebound or compression.

You should be able to find some used on eBay or marketplace or just buy new.

Good luck!
    With AFCO shocks, do you know what category one should look under or do you know what model Baja SAE use?

2. Collapse Details
    They are the 63 series Afco shocks. I personally wouldn't go with the adjustable ones since it's easily to re-shim them and honestly the adjustment clickers don't make a world of difference.

3. Collapse Details
    Does AFCO ever run a sale or sell them in pairs or sets? $380 each is a bit steep. I'll browse Ebay and other places incase the 63 series can be had cheaper.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Fox Airs generally run 200-225 a piece.
    Bang for the buck... I sound like a broken record.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah $225 or so isn't bad. I've only recently heard of FOA, Fox, I've known about for many years, so they have name recognition with myself and family.

6. Collapse Details
    Looks like I'm going have to do one of a couple things, modify the buggy in a way where I can run a more common length shock front and rear, by using the plans as a guideline but modify. The problem I see with the current design is that the front set of shocks are tucked inside the frame, rather than the shock towers being exposed like the ST2 Long Travel is.

Top of that, going to swap out the Arctic Cat Hex drive driver and driven for a Polaris P85 or 90 driver/driven so I can more easily use the Trailboss 350 gearbox I got this past summer. Hopefully it'll hold up to the 500cc 2 stroke, if not, going with a layshaft/jackshaft setup the plans come up with.

So comparing the ST2-LT and the NG plans, the LT front A-arm shock towers are welded on to the top of the body, does not appear to be reinforced. Rear shocks are bolted to the rear of the cage next to the seat head a bit on the outside. So at least with the fronts, it'll be easier to get a more common shock length if I do the mounts externally, rather than internally like how the plans show. Both appear to have very similar a-arms in size, so it could end up as a combination of the two. Maybe keep the rear shock mounts similar as the NG, but with a different mounting position to accommodate a longer shock that is easier to get a hold of.
    Last edited by JagerDanger; 11-29-2020 at 03:42 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Trying to find clutch sets sucks these days for older sleds. I can find the Comet 102c uncaliberated easily, the driven 100D however is a pain to locate. The Polaris P85 and P90 drivers and driven are also a pain to locate even though they were quite common. Replacement clutches for the Arctic Cat Hex are just as difficult. I can find majority of the replacement wear parts, just not the whole setup. I do see why some say the 102c/100D setup isn't an upgrade on some vs the P85, the overdrive ratio is like .95 for the 102c/100D whereas the P90 has a .76 overdrive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3