Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: ST2-NG questions
    No engine news for now. Quick question though, thinking about going with the Miata CV axle route. Granted the axles are about 7-8 inches longer than what the plans call for. Anyway, someone did ask on the forum a few years ago what kind of travel you can get with Miata axles, but there was never an actual answer to it. So with A-arms, what kind of travel can you get with Miata axles, unmodified/shortened. I would cut them down to size, but that seems to never go right if you don't have that done by a proper shop.

2. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I don't have an immediate answer, but Vasily Builds on Youtube used Mazda Miata CV axles on his build. He may have talked about the amount of travel he has built into his rear suspension. It's been about a year since I watched his videos, so I don't remember.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    I don't have an immediate answer, but Vasily Builds on Youtube used Mazda Miata CV axles on his build. He may have talked about the amount of travel he has built into his rear suspension. It's been about a year since I watched his videos, so I don't remember.
    Just watched the older 670 video where he used Miata axles, he never mentioned how much wheel travel. But its significant far as I can tell, just hard to judge.

4. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I remember a comment that Greg on Desertkarts.com made about travel with Volkswagen CV axles. He had figured out that you could get 10 inches, if I remember correctly. He had someone comment that he had his buggy configured for 12 inches of travel. He asked the guy, "do you hear a clicking noise from the CV axles when you jack it up and rotate the wheels?" "Yes, how did you know?", the guy responded. Greg pointed out that if you exceed the allowed travel on the CV axles, they'll start making noise.

So, I guess you jack up the rear end and raise/lower the trailing arm until you hear a clicking noise from the axles, then back off a bit.

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah that's one way to do it lol. Thinking I will go the Miata axle route. Adequate wheel travel, should take plenty of power, can run 1" axles without an issue. Plus, helluva lot cheaper than trying to piece 1310 U-joints ($115 on CV axles vs $230 for complete 1310).

If I had to guess , somewhere in the ball park of 8-12 inches of wheel travel. Couldn't find anywhere he stated the numbers.
    Last edited by JagerDanger; Yesterday at 08:57 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10