Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HELP! laser shops can't cut these parts? no ones home at BL
    Has anyone else had a laser cutting shop tell them the drawings from badland won't work with their machine the way they are?? I have had 2 shops tell me they need to redraw the files, and it's starting to get old how Bruce hasn't called me back the last 3 months of leaving messages on his phone and email...

2. Collapse Details
    Re: HELP! laser shops can't cut these parts? no ones home at BL
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    yes this can be common if the cad files were drawn sloppy.

there are probably overlapping lines and segments, duplicate lines etc.
    The shops would need to clean up the files and fix the problems before they can program and cut to the cad file.

I double check all our files before sending to the laser shop for this.

3. Collapse Details
    I wish I would at least get a response of ANY kind about the problem over the last 3 months, but I don't even get a returned call or email saying go take a walk. I have no clue how you can have a business like this and not get back to people! I mean 3 months of calling and messaging, and today when the shop said no can do unless I get charged a re engineering fee (second time hearing this) I about exploded!!

4. Collapse Details
    I work for a welding shop and I just cut all the 3/16" parts for a guy building an st4 and it was a pain. The files and renditions would not lay out. Ended up placing the parts manually for better use of materials which took a couple hours. So maybe they just don't want to deal with it??

5. Collapse Details
    Do you have dimensioned drawings in PDF format or just CAD files? I'm sure someone here could help you clean them up. Not sure how complex they are, but sometimes it is faster to just re-draw them. Let us know what you have.

6. Collapse Details
    I may be able to help you out with CAD files. I work with Pro/Engineer, more currently known as Creo, pretty high-end system. I can create the DXF files you need, and even models. If interested, snd me a message at danauxter2@yahoo.com and include a sample file (one they say won't work).

-D$
    "Hello. My name is Dan and I'm addicted to buggies."

7. Collapse Details
    Up north, who do you work for? I'm in Minneapolis and may need some stuff cut for my buggy.

8. Collapse Details
    Mx, yep it can take longer and be more tedious to fix a file then to cut it.
    What format is the file in? Is it DXF.?

I'm sure there's someone on here that may have built a badlands and may have already cleaned up the files.

9. Collapse Details
    One way I have done it is to put it into solid works as a sketch, extrude the sketch, then save the dxf of the face of the extrusion. Often solidworks won't let you do it, but when it does it saves a lot of effort. Not sure if that helps anyone

10. Collapse Details
    Hey everyone I took it upon myself to re draw the parts in autocad 2008 , and sure enough the laser shop said mine will work A-okay! They aren't being lazy about it, they just said they'd have to re-draw them and their in business to make money so they would have to charge to re draw them. So far I've only re drawn the front spindle pieces, but plan on doing all the little tabs, rear spindles, wheel hub plates, and maybe the firewall and skid plates. Bruce finally called me back later this afternoon thinking the laser shop's software was outdated, so he sent me the dxf files in autocad version 2000, so we'll see if those work better for the laser shop. However, I'm not counting on it since my 2008 autocad re-drawn files worked with their software. I'll keep everyone updated, and if someone is really good with autocad (I am decent, but very slow at it), they should redo all the files so other people don't have this very annoying problem!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast