Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: HELP! laser shops can't cut these parts? no ones home at BL
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    In autocad- try selecting one line and run _pedit , turn into poly line then join and select the entire shape (don't worry about extra non-connected stuff).
    It'll either join it all and close it or you will see the gaps.
    I wish ACAD had a function like my gibbscam - on import you can autoconnect with in a certain range (ie 0.025" for example).
    JGSFAB- CNC'n everything I can. What to see more?
    www.facebook.com/jgsfab or jgsfab on instagram.
    And don't forget jgsturbocom on youtube

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JGSturbo View Post
    In autocad- try selecting one line and run _pedit , turn into poly line then join and select the entire shape (don't worry about extra non-connected stuff).
    It'll either join it all and close it or you will see the gaps.
    I wish ACAD had a function like my gibbscam - on import you can autoconnect with in a certain range (ie 0.025" for example).
    Yep, converting to polylines should help sort out any errors. We had a table at school that for whatever reason wouldn't set the leadin/outs properly with plines, so I would convert everything to check the loop then explode them after.

Also try running the command OVERKILL. It'll merge any overlapping lines into one, that is often a problem that comes up.

3. Collapse Details
    Try the command OVERKILL. It will remove any duplicate lines. Chances are this is what is annoying the laser cutters. I would find it hard to believe that there are a bunch of endpoints that are not correct.

edit: Whoops, looks like I should read the previous posts completely. Sam nailed it...
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

4. Collapse Details
    UPDATE: I re drew the parts and sent them to my buddy to get laser cut and they worked no problem! Don't know why his files don't work, but I finally picked up the spindle pieces I've been desperately needing! Laser cut parts make my plasma cut parts look like junk! Anywho, I would post pictures, but for some reason even after I resize them in paint they won't upload? I'll try to get time to make an imageshack account.

5. Collapse Details
    After reading this thread, I'm having second thoughts about buying plans from Badland. I was considering to buy the ST4 plans. Are there problems with the ST4 files for laser cutting or does this concern another model only?

Would you suggest an alternative for a two seater buggy plan or is the ST4 still a good choice?

Chris

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Look into some of the Rorty models.

7. Collapse Details
    I just had my ST4 parts water jetted and they did not mention any issue with the files. Cost around $1k for all the parts plus material of apx $400. It aint cheap but all of the parts fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. I did have to run a flat file over the slots one or 2 times and the same goes for a round file on the round holes.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your replies, Glamisman and K-fab!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamisman View Post
    I just had my ST4 parts water jetted and they did not mention any issue with the files. Cost around $1k for all the parts plus material of apx $400. It aint cheap but all of the parts fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.
    That sounds quite encouraging in regards to the ST4, except for the higher than expected price. $1400 would be a big chunk of the overall budget.

Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Look into some of the Rorty models.
    Yes, the Rorty models look really good, too. Are they more difficult to build? The R16 has a reasonably priced laser cut kit. The R82 looks like a suitable design for a two seater, somewhat similar to the ST4. I'm planning to use a small car engine for the buggy due to non-availability of suitable motorcycle engines in this country.

The Rorty's rear suspensions look more complex and harder to adapt to a lengthened rear section. In your estimation, would it be more difficult to fit a car engine into a R16/R82 than into an ST4?

9. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by chriswayg View Post
    Yes, the Rorty models look really good, too. Are they more difficult to build? The R16 has a reasonably priced laser cut kit. The R82 looks like a suitable design for a two seater, somewhat similar to the ST4. I'm planning to use a small car engine for the buggy due to non-availability of suitable motorcycle engines in this country.

The Rorty's rear suspensions look more complex and harder to adapt to a lengthened rear section. In your estimation, would it be more difficult to fit a car engine into a R16/R82 than into an ST4?
    I've only seen the ST4 and Rorty cars, never been in one or part of a build. There are quite a few of both on the site - find a more recently updated thread on each and ask these questions there.

It seems that the R cars have more room for something like a car engine - but that's total speculation on my end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2