Thread: Megalodon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Megalodon
    starting to weld my tube together. Was wondering if anyone has found a cheaper reverse gear box anywhere other than jeffcoperformance. There wanting 3950.00 for the box. Also GSXR 1000 or V-twin this is my first build would love feed back.
    Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Megalodon
    Baja Tex has two Honda RC51 V-twins in the for sale section here with everything ready to go. For a desert style car they would be a great motor.

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    The RPM box is cheaper by $1k. Live rearend, no diff.

4. Collapse Details
    Yoshi has an inline reverser for about a grand might work for you he had put one in a Busa powered smart car.

5. Collapse Details
    Thnks for the replies and the info. New here but hope to be putting pics up soon. How do you ad pics to this site.

6. Collapse Details
    Some people including myself have had a difficult time posting pictures.

Check out the RC51 motors

Just my 2 cents, if your going to take your time to build yourself a personal buggy don't go with a live rear end unless all you plan to do is drag race in a straight line. It's going to be hard to get the car to turn. It's just going to make the front end plow in corners.

It's inarguable that a limited slip differential is the better for cornering then a live axle.You can still put the power to the ground solidly and the car will go around a corner better without pushing the front end forcing understeer.

Again just my 2 cents and what I have learned from experience. But that's what I'd do. I'm sure many will disagree for some reason.

7. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nofearmxer View Post
    Some people including myself have had a difficult time posting pictures.

Check out the RC51 motors

Just my 2 cents, if your going to take your time to build yourself a personal buggy don't go with a live rear end unless all you plan to do is drag race in a straight line. It's going to be hard to get the car to turn. It's just going to make the front end plow in corners.

It's inarguable that a limited slip differential is the better for cornering then a live axle.You can still put the power to the ground solidly and the car will go around a corner better without pushing the front end forcing understeer.

Again just my 2 cents and what I have learned from experience. But that's what I'd do. I'm sure many will disagree for some reason.

yup,,,,I some what disagree from my experiences.

I do agree that limited slip will turn better than a locked rear, especially when driving slow.

but I disagree with the blanket statement that a car will not turn well unless it has limited slip.
    Not true at all

Our cars turn on a dime and that has much to do with front end suspension design and some other factors like wedge and shock set up,,,,not just a locked rear or limited slip

when I ran mine on a road course,,,,I was thinking that would be the time I would need limited slip.

I was very pleased and surprised that it cornered like a dream on the pavement and no need for limited slip

just my .02 for what it is worth

8. Collapse Details
    Protodie, I have heard nothing but good things about your car and totally believe you. The front end has to be built correctly. Which mine wasn't and I haven't corrected and the main reason a locked up rear end put a bad taste in my mouth at slower speeds through trees, or tight hard packed stuff, or on a road course in your case.

So I guess the question is do you plan to design your front end correctly? Sounds kinda dumb but a lot of people just throw it together and say, looks right and looks cool and that's good enough for them and the riding they plan on doing.

Another 2 cents.
    Soon were gonna have a dollar.....

9. Collapse Details
    Glamis Fun With an R1 Single Seater - YouTube

Car and driver together have a huge impact on how things like a locked rear effect the handling. Tell me if you see problem with push in this video.

P.S., yeah I allready know the rear was way soft that day.

10. Collapse Details
    ATVs and sidexsides are locked up in the rear, handle great in tight areas, and were engineered, not just thought up. My 2 cents

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast