Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mini sand rail dune buggy
    I just bought this dune buggy with no engine and i was wondering if i should put a sled engine in it or a gas engine like it had.....it is all set up for a gas engine.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Mini sand rail dune buggy
    Both engines are gas engines.

Question is do you wanna shift or gas it and go?

Sled engine will require some rework. Maybe extensive.

Might be some good rework too if you go with a different bike engine than it had.

Do you know the exact motor its set up for? Are you good with that brand? Size?
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    That's an ST2-NG which was originally designed around a sled engine but can also easily accept a motorcycle engine. Drop me a line at info@badlandbuggy.com for complimentary drawings on how install a sled engine layshaft system that bolts on to your existing set-up (if you decide to go with a sled engine). This set up moves the driven clutch from normally in front of the sled engine & repositions it to behind the engine. A motorcycle engine set up is direct drive to the center drive shaft via chain then make your own mounts for the motorcycle engine.

I've installed both types engines in an ST2-NG before, many times. A liquid cooled, fuel injected, chain driven motorcycle engine with electric start is the way to go, in my opinion. Sled engines can be tempermental with belt slippage when wet or muddy, you have to modify the springs in the clutch to handle the torque & weight, you will have to build a custom exhaust (if the sled engine is a 2 stroke, you'll have to maintain correct backpressure/expansion chamber in the 2 stroke exhaust dimensions, it's tricky), you may also have to re-jet the carbs to account for ambient temperature to get a better fuel mixture, plus, you just get more power & reliability from a motorcycle engine, without having to tune it to the vehicle as much.

The cool thing about a sled engine is if you can find one with electronic reverse then you get a buggy with automatic transmission (CVT) & reverse without adding alot of extra weight. No shifting gears which is easier to drive.

Hope this helps in your engine selection. Bruce, badlandbuggy.com

5. Collapse Details
    What i meant by a gas engine is like an industrial type engine....i have a f-n-r box on it already that why i didnt think i could put a motorcycle engine in it.

6. Collapse Details
    Its set up for an industrial type engine...pretty much like a lawnmower engine

7. Collapse Details
    The FNR box it has. Can you get some specifics off it? It may be able to handle a lot and it may break with low power.

Even some close up pics of it will maybe help somone ID it and know what it can take. Reverse is nice to have ESPECIALLY if you run hills and woods.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

8. Collapse Details
    Here are some pics of it hopefuly you can help me

9. Collapse Details
    These were the best i could get, i currently have a 13hp briggs and stratton engine on it just to see if it is set up for it, i want a engine with alot of jam but i too was wondering if i would blow my FNR box

10. Collapse Details
    I gotta admit I have never seen one of those trannies but I would be scared to send more than 15-20 horse with a CVT belt tranny thru it. Be hard to replace it maybe?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast