Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: RCV Performance 930 CV plunging axle
    On my old one piece straight axle set up , I had plunging CVs on both the inboard and outboard sides of my axle. The inboard side the CV bolted to a drive flange. The drive flange has a dome shape that would allow a enough room for the CV plunge. So putting clips on the inboard axle done to stop the axle from hitting the drive flange and tearing up the end of the axle and the drive flange. So on the inboard side weather I had clips on the axle or not the CV would still plunge 1.25 inches.

2. Collapse Details
    I think you have to determine what's chewing on that axle in the middle of the spline.
    That wear mark should not be there.
    What's your maximum angle at full drop?
    Do you use limiting straps?
    Have you disconnected the shock and run it thru the travel while rotating as well to watch for abnormalties.
    I think it's going to come down to cv angle.
    You won't get away running more than 25 degrees on a 930.
    I've been running the same setup for 12 years with no issues at all.
    These cars should never break these axles
    I spoke at length with the RCV factory rep at Dunefest two weeks ago and they make a very nice product but pricey
    Good Luck I can't wait to see what you find
    Dale

3. Collapse Details
    At full drop my axles have 22 degree angle with just the shocks bolted up. That is with my limiting straps unbolted.
    I have my limiting set up to act in the last 1.5 inch of travel.
    I have took the springs off the shocks and removed the pressure in the shocks and took the outside cover off the mid-board hub and had the CV boots off so I could check for clearances and ran them through the full range of travel.
    I checked side play (inboard / outboard) movement
    full drop 0.375 inches free play
    short distance 1.25 inches free play
    full compression 0.65 inches free play

I did this when I first got the axles for the buggy and each time replaced a axle I repeated the process.

I am not saying any of the products I am talking about are bad, RCV makes good stuff and Gear One Racing makes good stuff. There is something about my buggy or the type of riding I do that is causing it. Where I ride there are not jumps so I can rule that out.

RCV has been helpful and they said they I have this type thing happen with mid-board hubs where the axle splines inside the mid-board hubs tear up.

My trailing arms are 1.25 diameter 0.120 wall thickness 4130 steel TIG welded. There are around 15 buggies built like mine. When we all started converting to CVs they keep there micro-stubs on and had to take about 4.5 inches travel out of their rear ends to get the axle angle to 22 degrees. When I converted I went with the mid-board hubs so I could keep all of my travel. I had the shop that built they buggies convert my trailing arms and I did the rest of the work. The guys that have these buggies send E-mails to each other about things we learn. Some of the guys converted to American make 930 CV stuff and others to China make 930 CV stuff all of them keep there micro-stub set up on there trailing arms. Non of these guys are having problems. My trailing arms look very strong so what ever amount of flex I am getting in the trailing arms is in the elastic range , there is no permanent displacement in the arms. When I measure alignment and camber of the rear wheel there has been no change.

4. Collapse Details
    So the micro stub guys aren't having the problems(galling or breaking on the axles) that you are having with the mid-board hubs?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

5. Collapse Details
    yes

6. Collapse Details
    Kinda narrows it down doesn't it?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

7. Collapse Details
    Again I am not saying any of the products I am talking about are bad. When I buy stuff I research the subject and usually buy top of the line products. I having this problem, I can not say I fully understand what is happening or that I know the answer to this problem.

RCV has been helpful and they say the plunging will solve my axle breaking problem so I am hoping for the best. It wish RCV would not have cut the axle splines in the plunging axle the way they did. Time will tell if this is the solution.

8. Collapse Details
    This is crazy 22 is very safe.

So is the spline getting nicked by the cage or the outer race ?

Because I see from your photo that the axle was trying to fracture at that nick line and most all twist off right at the spline transition

I have an big V8 car in here that I'm replacing twisted off 4340s with 300Ms but it took him 8 years to do it

9. Collapse Details
    Is the pocket where the axle goes into the midboard cupped, or is it flat? That fracture looks like combined loading to me.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

10. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    The wear pattern on the splines looks like something was binding, got to the point it couldn't slide and blamo.
    Post some rear end pics, the plunge numbers seem odd? Trailing arms extend with droop, semi trailing arms not as much. Those numbers go the other way.

Also if your tearing up drive flanges it might be a sign that the axle is binding in the midboard.
    According to your lowest and highest clearance number plunge was less than an inch?
    Might have been better to solid clip the mid-board.
    Last edited by JGSturbo; 08-30-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    JGSFAB- CNC'n everything I can. What to see more?
    www.facebook.com/jgsfab or jgsfab on instagram.
    And don't forget jgsturbocom on youtube

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast