Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: RCV Performance 930 CV plunging axle
    The RCV Performance non-plunging CV has a lot of stiction in it. I packed them with grease and moved the CV inter race around to work the grease inside. The stiction reduced a little, but it still takes about 15 lbs of force to move the CV inter race to change its angle. I called RCV they said this normal and the CV will free up after a couple short rides. They said to do 3 rides of about 5 minutes at or below 50% max power to break every thing in.

2. Collapse Details
    Mine were tight when new, they freed up in short order though. Any rezeppa joint off of a fwd car is the same though.

Did they offer the no questions asked warranty on these?
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

3. Collapse Details
    I have had a lot of problems with axles breaking in the spline out at the mid-board hubs.

My first set of axles where 4340 steel and broke in the axle spline inside the mid-board hub after about 2 hours total time on them. The ends of the axle were a larger diameter with the spline cut in them , the correct method to make a axle. I replaced the inter races on the CV after the axle failure.

My second set of axles where RCV performance one piece straight axle made of 300 M steel. The ends of the axle were a larger diameter with the spline cut in them , the correct method to make a axle. After about 2 hours total time, one axle broke in the spline inside the mid-board hub. I sent the axle back to RCV and they replaced it no questions. I put the new axle on and when riding and my other axle that had 2 hours on it, broke in the spline inside the mid-board hub 10 minutes into the ride. I sent this axle back to RCV and ask them to look at closely to see if we can figure why it breaking. I gave them all the details of my buggy and pictures and measures of axle side movement at full drop and shortest distance and full compression. RCV said my axle had a lot of wear in the spline that goes into the mid-board hub. They said to looked like most of the axle plunge was being handled by axle plunging through the CV race and the CVs plunge was not handling much of the total plunge. RCV said they have seen the same thing on axles used in mid-board hubs before. RCV said when you get a lot of wear on the axle spline the axle starts to hang up on the inter race of the CV and puts a axial load on the axle. The axial causes the axle failure.

RCV said I needed to have the spline ends on the axle just wide enough to hold the CV inter races so I have no axle plunge through the inter race of the CV. This is when they told me about there plunging axles. They if I paid the difference in price between my old one piece straight axles and the plunging axles they would replace my broken axles with plunging axles. I paid $250 per axle to get the plunging axles. I order RCV non-plunging CVs.

I think these axles only have a 90 day warranty , I am not sure.

I did this to try something different because I could not the one piece straight axles to work with my mid-board hub.

I think part my problem is the type on track I drive on. Its a old farm field that had been plowed and there is a 6 to 8 inch bump every 2 feet all the way around a 2.5 mile course. I think all bumps are causing the CV to wear the axle spline at a fast rate

4. Collapse Details
    These are pictures of what the broken one piece straight axles looked liked. This is the of the axle that was inside the mid-board hubs. I had 4 axles break like this.

RCV Performance 930 CV plunging axle-img_2086-1.jpg

RCV Performance 930 CV plunging axle-img_2089-1.jpg

5. Collapse Details
    Was that your left axle? I think I can see where the crack started.

Were the axles hitting the mid boards before or after they broke? There is some major wear half way down the splines.

It looks like the cutter had an extremely sharp radius, or the transition at the root of the splines has an odd step in it.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

6. Collapse Details
    The axles where not hitting the mid-board hub the cover that goes over the outside of the mid-board hub is 4.75 inches away from the outside part of the CV. With a Mid-board hub the axle can plunge through the CV inter race and the closed surface is 4.75 inches away from the end of axle.

I do not which side axle is in the picture. I only took one picture of a broken axle out of the 4 axles I broke.

7. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    On the broken end, there's what looks like a wear groove. (What plk is talking about). What caused that groove?

8. Collapse Details
    On the spline of the axle there is a lot wear from the axle plunging through the CV inter race.

The smashed down spots going around about 40% of the outer diameter of the broke off part of the axle, are most likely from the CV cocking and digging into the axle when the axle broke. The out board inter race of the CV had area about 40% around the inter diameter on the edge had a smashed down spots like the axle.

The axles would break when I was power siding out of a turn hard on the gas. I would start to have problems steering the buggy at that point I would know the axle is most likely broken and let off the gas. So I was hard on the gas for 40 to 50 feet with a broken axle before I let off the gas. Then I would drive about a mile back to my truck at 10 mph and drive it up on to the trailer. It is always the out wheel for the turn that breaks. I have broken axles in both left and right hand turns.

The axle that I asked RCV to look closely at, they looked at it with there equipment and said the crack started in the axle spline at the spear tip looking part of the broken axle.

My first set of mid-board CVs where the CVs Gear One Racing install, I think they are GKN CVs.

When installed the RCV straight one axles , I installed RCV CVs with a 300 inter race.

All the axles broke the same way and looked the same and had a lot of wear on the axle spline on the mid-board hub side.

The inboard part of my axle at the gearbox has never given me any problem the axle spline shows no wear on any of the axles. This end of the axle has clips just wide enough for the CV so there is no axle plunging in the CV inter race.

I think the track I ride on is the problem, it is a old farm field that has been plowed and the ground has turned rock hard because the drought Texas has had for years. Every 2 feet there is 6 to 8 bump caused by the last time it was plowed years ago. I have 2.5 mile track set up so the buggy takes a beating.

9. Collapse Details
    It could be your trailing arms flexing inward, binding the axle, which would definitely break them when the suspension compressed. A 24 inch axle makes for a nice lever, and combined with the torque, would spell disaster.

10. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    Completely clipped solid on the inside asks the outboard to do all the work.
    It halfs the load when both can do the slipping.
    JGSFAB- CNC'n everything I can. What to see more?
    www.facebook.com/jgsfab or jgsfab on instagram.
    And don't forget jgsturbocom on youtube

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast