Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Engine change for the Tazcar
    I picked up a CBR1000 powered Tazcar last spring and put it through several local desert runs without any issues, it handled fantastic and the power delivery was impressive. Recently I took it to glamis and found myself wanting more GO! It may be the lack of torque the liter engine produces or that sand robs so much HP, it made me start contemplating an engine swap... I'm leaning towards a Busa or ZX14 powerplant (maybe a turbo) but I'm not sure of the size/weight or if it will change any of the handling characteristics of the buggy. I don't know much about CVT type engines or the tuning of the clutch but I'm open to suggestions on other setups, any ideas?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Engine change for the Tazcar
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome to MBN.

First or second generation Taz?

If it's first Gen drop a turbo Apex (Yamaha sled) in it and it will scream. CVT setup. In a very similar sized car running the same drive train (Desert Dog Coyote), the turbo Apex was the quickest vehicle I've ever been in sand in. It's more than enough for the desert too. I ran a normally aspirated one for a while and loved it in my first gen.

Second Gen - Hmmm.... I'm a CVT guy all the way, so I'm biased - once again, some of the built apex motors are making stupid HP. Mountain Performance makes some wicked stuff for the Yamahas.

I can't address a second generation car very well as mine was made from the ground up as a SCORE Class 10 car so it was a very, very heavy pig (2020 lbs) with a Ecotec 2.2L powerplant. I hear the second gen sand cars are killer with that engine and a supercharger.

I'm presently doing a Yamaha Nytro powered project (should be around 225 hp with MPI's supercharger) with a CVT drivetrain.

The weight isn't going to affect the car much - it's really close to the CG.

If you're a shifter then definitely the ZX14 and consider forced induction for more ponies. There are a couple ZX14 builds here - check the Ragnar thread in Projects in Progress.

3. Collapse Details
    What paddles and wheels are you using?

The busa has a lot more usable torque than the liter engines. It makes duning much easier as you aren't shifting everywhere to keep the rpm up.

I raced a similar gsxr1000 car, and it was a dead heat. The busa doesn't have any more power, but the broad torque range makes it much easier and more enjoyable.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

4. Collapse Details
    K-Fab- It's a first generation, Neal made it as a roller and the customer installed the engine. The liter engine makes good power but you need to keep the RPM's up to deliver the power, there's no lugging it around the dunes. In the desert and river bottoms, the buggy absolutely hauls...

plkracer- I'm running either 26 or 27" paddles on 12" wheels and my gearing is 14/67 which is just south of 5:1, I would like it to be a bit higher... Constant shifting to keep the RPM's up can be a work-out so staying out of the smaller dunes and technical stuff

5. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Jetnut I have a Taz also it came with 12/26 sand blasters and Mohawks up front they where totally worthless as so was the motor it came with. I changed the motor too a Yamaha Apex and went to 6.75 15 razor backs and 1300/15 STU,s in back that made a huge diff in Glamis .but for the high elevation of StAnthony I made turbo setup for it and it rocks now 10lbs of boost about 245hp on a mix of 110
    If I had your Taz the tires would be the first change made the 12/26 are just too small for our cars after all they ain't really a sand car they are built to piss pound in the desert .They are a lot heavier than a sand rail of that size . If that don't suit you. Then Turbo your 1000 it will have all the snort ya want in Glamis
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

6. Collapse Details
    Turbo or supercharged Apex in that car will scream. It's a light, airy ride and with the Apex it's a very quick, light airy ride.

I also agree - I don't know why Neil runs the tiny paddle tires. The Coyote (running the same drive train) is running 28's or 29's and it works beautifully - I liked it over the 26" on my old Gen 1 Taz in the dunes.

Hey Rat - the Taz was originally developed as a sand car. It wasn't until we did mine that they started Dual Sporting them. I kept showing them what bent, broke and needed upgrading. (:

7. Collapse Details
    Hey Rat - the Taz was originally developed as a sand car. It wasn't until we did mine that they started Dual Sporting them. I kept showing them what bent, broke and needed upgrading. (:[/QUOTE]

LOL man on the sand car but I was comparing them to the Short sand cars and Kings which are a good 300lbs less than my Taz And ya wouldn't want to run a SSC the wrong way across a plowed corn field it would not be pretty or take a six time roll off the back side of Crapo dune like I did with just a bent front spindle and a popped bead on the back tire
    Thats why I chose Neil's Taz car their built like a brick shit haus compaired to the others.

8. Collapse Details
    Agreed!

9. Collapse Details
    For what it's worth that cbr1000s trans is gona hold up better than a busa in a buggy

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the heads up on a wheel and tire change, just never thought of going there. Makes total sense and definitely a step in the right direction. Just need to start researching and sourcing them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast