Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Taz car Vs Rzr 1000 which is better at this point?
    Is there any benefit to buying a used Taz car at this point vs. a Rzr 1000 regular or turbo? How do they compare in the dunes? Which is faster? Any input would be appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Taz car Vs Rzr 1000 which is better at this point?
    Which Taz car are you looking at? There were many variations over the years.

These are two completely different machines. Driving a rzr after driving a mini rail is like going back to a mini van after driving an m3.

The rzr is probably a better all around rig if you want to drive on trails as well as some dune use. The Taz car is going to be substantially wider, which may be a problem on trails, but it will be far more stable in the rough stuff.

The 4wd on the rzr is probably the main reason people are shifting to side by sides. The cost has also decreased while performance is on the rise, and the aftermarket support has blown up recently.

I will admit I have had my fair share of time in rzrs, from the 800, the 800s, the 900 and 1000, but not the turbo. They aren't exhilarating, but they are fun to beat the hell out of (not literally), they take a lot of abuse and keep going for more.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

3. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    I have a Taz and a RZR The razor is a good overall golf cart or wife cart like I call it. I've had the rzr in the dunes it's OK but not even close to what the Taz is in the dunes . But the Taz is not as easy to hop in and burn into town for a box of beer with and it's not easy to pull a deer out of the woods with LOL . If yer lookin for a all around daily cruzer and want to hit the dunes for a ride the RZR is for U . But for me my Taz is the shit in the Dunz about twice as stable and compared to my RZR's 100hp and my Taz's 255hp it's a no brainer for the dunz.
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    As asked, which generation of Taz?

Both are stellar dune vehicles and will walk a well set up RZR in the dunes. I have lots of hours in both generations (helped trouble shoot and develop the first gen) and also in both and XP900 and XP1000 (neither turbo) and I'd take a Taz over the XP any day of the week for duning.

Personally, if you can find an Apex powered Coyote (was made by Desert Dog Off Road in Fountain Hills, AZ a few years back) I'd take that over anything for duning. That is one amazing machine in the sand.

5. Collapse Details
    For all around use, I don't think you can beat the RZR. Personally I will end up spending a lot more time in the desert/forest than I will in the dunes. Where you are located and your intended use has a lot to do with which way you go.

6. Collapse Details
    Looking for an ecotec. I know to stay away from the Polaris versions. I'd mostly be riding dunes with High desert thrown in occasionally. Any high wear areas to look at. IE heim joints for play. Any centrifugal clutch issues to be aware of, or a particular make to stay away from. I'm going to be getting rid of 2 quads to get one vehicle and getting back to camp in case of a breakdown could be problematic, as I ride during the middle of the week and am usually out places by myself.

7. Collapse Details
    "I ride during the middle of the week and am usually out places by myself." = RZR
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Is this the one yer lookin at Ryah http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/snw/5825855982.html
    looks nice man
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat4020 View Post
    Is this the one yer lookin at Ryah http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/snw/5825855982.html
    looks nice man
    Yeah it does!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

10. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryah View Post
    Looking for an ecotec. I know to stay away from the Polaris versions.
    The Polaris 800 was offered in only a few and when mine decided to die I put my foot into the throttle to make sure that piece of crap died and died permanently and horribly. Good luck finding any of the Polaris driven ones. Now if you come across and Arctic Cat 1000 triple, that's a different story - ripping ride. But parts are hard to find. The two smoke cars were all the original version.

I'd mostly be riding dunes with High desert thrown in occasionally. Any high wear areas to look at. IE heim joints for play. Any centrifugal clutch issues to be aware of, or a particular make to stay away from. I'm going to be getting rid of 2 quads to get one vehicle and getting back to camp in case of a breakdown could be problematic, as I ride during the middle of the week and am usually out places by myself.
    I never had any issues other than lots of miles of wear on the primary (engine) clutch. They were great. I think it was an Arctic Cat clutch - been a while...
    The Arctic Cat driven (the one on the trans) on the other hand was tender and I liked to snap the towers off - always had a spare handy. Once Neil went to the Team they became fairly bullet proof. I did manage to tear one of the driven Teams up, but I was also running a 2020 lb car with 33" tall tires. Relative to all the other Tazcars out there, mine was brutalized and it held up very well.

I'd not worry one bit about going out and getting back. I did it for many, many miles. - Hell, I've had to drive back to camp on three wheels! - nothing like watching your right front suspension corner decide to leave the car at 60 in deep whoops!

Look in here - Yellow Dog Racing - you'll see the history of both of my DezTaz's from the sand dune runner that the first one started out as to the built from the ground up as a Class 10 car that the second one was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast