Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Taz Car experience/advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat4020 View Post
    Vegas.. Did you end up getting the Taz

Rat, thanks for asking.

Sorry I didn't update the thread.

Yes, picked it up that Sunday after I 1st posted.

Car showed immaculate and started and seemed to run well. Paddle tires limited the test drive.

My son noticed a few puddles under the carbs. I tried to grind a little off the price to replace seals/gaskets.......seller pulls out 3 new bowl gaskets.....he obviously knew of the drips.

Got it home and the next morning the battery was dead. It's showing a storage light on it now after putting a float charger on it. I'll see if she starts and check ALT. output here shortly. (motor has optional alternator installed)

Middle cylinder is fat as hell and the fuel pump seems to be dripping.

One cylinder fires intermittent at idle but clears up when revving.

Called the manufacturer (which I really should have done before I bought it, I could have waited a week) wasn't as exited after hearing some recent history concerning the guy who I bought it from.

Even though I'm sure I could tune her and fix the leaks, I'm going to make a road trip out of it and have the original shop go through it and make sure everything is up to snuff. I'm also in the market for some Polaris take off tires/wheels for desert/storage use.

The manufacturer knew the car and like K-fab said, it seems to be a very well built car. I asked about re-powering it with Busa or 1000cc motorcycle power and Luke at the shop said once we get that 1000 CC 2 stroke singing I'll never look back......and he knows we have the Busa powered Drakart.

Need a hitch on the kid's new truck, before mentioned tune, Packers victory in the SB and then it's at least a 3 dayer at Dumont!!!!!

2. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    The alt light will go out once you start moving. It's driven off of the input shaft of the transmission. No worries there.

Luke's correct. Get that engine running and it's a screamer.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    The alt light will go out once you start moving. It's driven off of the input shaft of the transmission. No worries there.

Luke's correct. Get that engine running and it's a screamer.

I'm not typing very clear......100% my bad.

The "light" i'm referring to is on the actual charger.

My understanding is if the battery is OK, it will go to "storage" after it's fully charged. So I'm ASS/U/ME ing the battery is OK.

Need to throw a VOM on her.

4. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Vegas I have the same alt setup as you and I reworked my alt to a one wire setup so you only have the pos wire on the alt . the alt will automaticly start charging as soon as you start driving..And thats the end of the red light in the dash.Cost about 70 bucks in parts then wire yourself a main battery disconect that will end the dead battery after storage.These things worked very well on my Taz
    Last edited by Rat4020; 01-31-2011 at 05:53 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat4020 View Post
    Vegas I have the same alt setup as you and I reworked my alt to a one wire setup so you only have the pos wire on the alt . the alt will automaticly start charging as soon as you start driving..And thats the end of the red light in the dash.Cost about 70 bucks in parts then wire yourself a main battery disconect that will end the dead battery after storage.These things worked very well on my Taz

Rat, thanks.

I'll certainly look in to it.......I will DEFINITELY be installing a battery disconnect.

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Ah, gotcha. You were talking about the battery charger and whether it had gone from charge to float. (right??? )

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Ah, gotcha. You were talking about the battery charger and whether it had gone from charge to float. (right??? )

Yup!!! It probably needs a new battery though; it'll totally discharge overnight. Need to put that DC switch on for sure.

.........had the $$$ to let Luke dial her in but bought the new car warranty on the kid's used Tundra instead.

It'll either be this week or the week after the holiday....we're planning a weekend at Dumont AFTER the holiday.

Can't wait to have all three toys out there at one time!!!

I've been also searching feverishly for a set of take off RZR rims/tires so I can putt the TAZ around the desert here.

In the meantime, I start her a couple times a week and listen to that 2 stroke symphony!!

8. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Vegas that Disconect switch is a $15.00 item I got mine at a Mills Fleet store here in MN. Ive seen the same one on flee bay and other sights for about the same $

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the heads up, Rat.

10. Collapse Details
    What bolt pattern are Tazcars with the gear one hubs? I canít find anything online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast