Thread: Lotus 7 Clone

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lotus 7 Clone
    Well, its Official. I've joined the dark side and have decided my new project is a tarmac build only. I LOVE my buggy, and I really want to get into racing. Problem is I'll be all over the country for races and in Australia I just can't afford the time off work for all the travelling. I want something I can drive with no warning and have a lot of fun.

I just ordered the first parts. Managed to get a pretty fresh looking Mazda RX8 rear end with an LSD. I have the blueprints, and am ready to go. Contacted an engineer who is happy to supervise the build in order to issue a VIN number and FULL ROAD REGISTRATION!!! This baby will be a weekend sunshine cruiser, or heck, might even take it to work if its a nice day. Can't do that in a clapped out racing buggy!

There are a few great books on the matter, and a load of info available online. But This will be my build thread... Tarmac people don't think like I do, I need real advice

As for me, I'm starting a new job Janurary 18, and pretty much have 2 months off... Feel like some serious progress will get made after I move house next week. Winning. Life is good

References for those interested:
    "How to build a sportscar on a budget" - Chris Gibbs
    "how to build a sportscar for under 250 pounds" Champion

To give you a teaser, Here is what I am aiming for:

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Lotus 7 Clone
    Millenium Member
    Sweet!!! I have been eyeing the Areial Atom for yrs for the same reasons. Need to get my plate cleared off some to do it. Cant wait to see how the build goes.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CARLRIDDLE View Post
    Sweet!!! I have been eyeing the Areial Atom for yrs for the same reasons. Need to get my plate cleared off some to do it. Cant wait to see how the build goes.
    The Atom is a wicked car. Looks amazing, and all the videos I've seen of one driving is insane. The atom 'copies' I've seen though mostly miss the mark. Although it would be awesome to go for, I thought I'd have a better shot at a lotus 7 clone, and it will still be an awesome drive. I really wanted to do a GT40 replica, but the cost for the body is too much

4. Collapse Details
    Great idea! What type of motor? Mid or rear engined? Do you need to do the chassis twist test or whatever that is??

5. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    That will be a blast, Ham. Very cool looking ride.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy View Post
    Great idea! What type of motor? Mid or rear engined? Do you need to do the chassis twist test or whatever that is??
    Traditionally, they are front engined (which is what I'll do). I am hoping to use a 2L straight four out of a Honda S2000, which should make about 250 hp. Most other options like a corolla 4AGE are in the 150 range and they are meant to be too fast I would love to put a V6 or V8 in there but I'm thinking in a lightweight car with a lightweight chassis they are not ideal. I'll look up the racing regs first to make sure that my engine passes. You can use a Bike engine, a busa would be awesome, but I think for road rego you need reverse and I'd rather just go with a proven gearbox

I spoke to the engineer, and he said that most people who have horror stories about getting kit cars registered have finished their cars and then tried to get them passed. Involving an engineer from the start he said there would be very few problems, and he has a 100% success rate for rego doing it this way.

There are a few tricks he suggested. If I buy a chassis from a company that has a chassis already approved. (There was a certificate that I can't remember the name of, said most kit car places in OZ supplied this certificate) then they don't need to do a flex test, or test the seat belt mounts. If its a home build, they need to test these which is an added cost.

Also needs an emissions test.

I have a detailed meeting coming up in a few weeks where we go through EVERYTHING required for rego and the build. Looking forward to it but when he told me the cost I was not looking forward to it anymore. Pretty much takes the "budget" out of this build.

KFAB,
    Thanks mate! its about the coolest looking car you can make with flat aluminium pannels... all the others look... well... "home made"

7. Collapse Details
    Cool!

You could always throw a turbo on that motor, a little boost is always fun.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    Cool!

You could always throw a turbo on that motor, a little boost is always fun.
    Turbo is fun, but I hate the lag. I really want reliability rather than stupid performance (but ideally both ) so I'm just going with a high HP stock engine. The other problem is that I need to pass an emissions test. Its probably easier with a non-turbo engine. I hear the emissions test is pretty tricky to get through unless you have a stupid conservative exhaust on it. I'll probably have to have two exhausts... the one that they test, then the one that gets bolted on 10 minutes after passing

Here is a pic of the rear subframe/suspension I just bought (well, not mine but an identical one). Plan is probably to ditch the heavy subframe and weld new mounts for the existing suspension arms. I figure Mazda spent a hell of a lot of money developing this suspension and it will probably be better than anything I come up with (and its way less work too!!)

Chasing engines now. They all want a lot for a conversion kit, so might have to wait a while and save up. Still have plenty to get stuck into! Anything vaguely high HP and naturally aspirated with a RWD box is stupid expensive here in Oz. I really don't want to mess around with bell housings and conversions if I don't have to.

After building a hardcore offroad buggy where strength is a primary concern, its nuts to see how light these road cars are. The plans call for 1", 16 gauge steel box. It looks super lightweight and after I rolled my buggy a few years ago I'm big on safety. Might up it to 1-1/4" tube just to be on the safe side. (only a few pounds for peace of mind), it will help with a more powerful engine too!. I have started a mock up of the chassis in solidworks, I'll post some pics later on when it starts looking like something

9. Collapse Details
    Over here a lot of them are called Locost Seven. Cool build. Look up Kinetic vehicles.

10. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Ones I was spying are using complete motor trans and suspension from fwd car, dropped into rear of the roadster! Easy peasy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast