Thread: Lotus 7 Clone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Lotus 7 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    Sorry to hear about the flood! I don't wish that shit on anybody! Floods suck!
    Yeah, it was bad timing. The shed had been finished a few weeks and I thought I'd save some money by putting my stuff there instead of storage. Turns out that when they put the slab in they changed the drainage of the land and instead of going around the slab, it went over it instead. Not ideal.

Work has been flat out the past few weeks so no more progress, I have a few days off next weekend and I'm working nights so I should get some good daylight hours to hopefully get the majority of the chassis finished off.

2. Collapse Details
    Made a bit more progress. Because the chassis is now no where near the plans dimensions (4" wider, 3" taller, 3" longer in drivers compartment and 5" longer in the engine bay), none of the original front suspension mounts are where they should be. The uprights I'm using also have a ball joint mounting on top of the lower mount rather than from underneath it. I figure that will change things too. Looks like I have a date with CAD for the next few days to try and get it sorted so that it turns nicely. Progress is also slowed down by a lack of parts. Things you don't think of like seat slides mean that I can't weld in half the under floor reinforcing incase I need to move it to fit the slides. Add engine mounts, radiators, front suspension, driveshafts etc. its becoming a bit more annoying than I thought it would be.

Another problem, I started looking into the wiring loom, and there is an aftermarket alarm installed with about 20 black wires infiltrating the loom. Not a great start, and with aftermarket ECU's costing a couple of grand, I don't have much choice. As far as I can tell its just an alam, not an emobiliser so fingers crossed worst case scenario is just more noise rather than effecting the engine running.

Heres the progress on the chassis

3. Collapse Details
    Cool Ham , what did the engineer charge per hour if ya dont mind me asking
    Over here in the west is @ $200 an hour , not a bad rate if ya can get it !!!!!
    Was looking at building a 2 seater Katana buggy for the road but the engineering costs kinda kill it

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon64 View Post
    Was looking at building a 2 seater Katana buggy for the road but the engineering costs kinda kill it
    I got a quote for everything... its just scarry. They said there were a few tests that were required and a few tricks for getting through them cheaper:

Chassis flex test.- test unpainted just after welding, if it doesn't pass they will add a few tubes whilst its on yhe test rig

Seat mounts and belt mounts - make both sides identical, that way they only need to test one side.

Exhaust test - apparently this is free...

That being said the quote i got was 5-6k from the guys who sounded competent, or 4-5 from the dodgy guys. Bloody robbery

5. Collapse Details
    I got a quote for everything... its just scarry. They said there were a few tests that were required and a few tricks for getting through them cheaper:

Chassis flex test.- test unpainted just after welding, if it doesn't pass they will add a few tubes whilst its on yhe test rig

Seat mounts and belt mounts - make both sides identical, that way they only need to test one side.

Exhaust test - apparently this is free...

That being said the quote i got was 5-6k from the guys who sounded competent, or 4-5 from the dodgy guys. Bloody robbery

6. Collapse Details
    Cool ... or Not in the case of $$$$
    the Chassis flex test I thought was some flash chassis rack contraption full of electronics , hydraulics etc etc
    But apparently it consists of a steel beam attatched to the chassis then a certain weight added to it and a few dial gauges at specific chassis points
    Chassis is flexed and then weight removed and it has to return to its original state

I was quoted just over $ 1000 for this test alone !!!!

7. Collapse Details
    Cool ... or Not in the case of $$$$
    the Chassis flex test I thought was some flash chassis rack contraption full of electronics , hydraulics etc etc
    But apparently it consists of a steel beam attatched to the chassis then a certain weight added to it and a few dial gauges at specific chassis points
    Chassis is flexed and then weight removed and it has to return to its original state

I was quoted just over $ 1000 for this test alone !!!!
    The engineering money is why I decided to go with a high end build. No way of getting a registered car cheaply, so figured its worth spending the extra few grand and getting the perfect engine etc.

As for the cost of the testing its just crap. As you said 1k for something i could do with jackstands and a dial indicator in my garage. I was planning on doing it myself first anyway just to make sure it will pass easily

8. Collapse Details
    Bit more progress. Just getting some of the front end tubes in. I have tomorrow off so hoping to get the engine mock mounted so I can do the transmission tunnel

9. Collapse Details
    Bit more progress

[url=http://s336.photobucket.com/user/Hamish_Barracuda/media/20160429_170914.jpg.html]

10. Collapse Details
    These tube constructed Asphalt cars are so Damn Awesome!!!
    I really want to build something like this..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast