Thread: Lotus 7 Clone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Lotus 7 Clone
    I built one back in 1995 and drove ot for 2 years. It had a Toyota 4-AG, T-50 trans and a Mazda RX-7 GSL rear. Lots of fun with only 115 HP and weighing 1120 pounds. Lots of hours of fabrication and trial-&-error.

Link to pix: Dan RM Seven Lotus 7 Replica by Daniel Lipperini Jr | Photobucket

I currently have a Rotus 7 powered by a turbo Mazda 13-B out of an RX-7 Turbo II, 5- speed with a Toyota Corolla rear. 245rwhp and 1200 pounds! The purple one.

Link to Rotus pictures: Rotus by Daniel Lipperini Jr | Photobucket

In the shop right now, I'm building one for my father with a Honda S2000 F20C, AP-2 transmission and an RX-7 GSL-SE rear. Should be 220+rwhp and 1200 pounds. When the VTEC comes on, it should be quite a handful!

Link to his pictures: Dads Lotus 7 Stuff by Daniel Lipperini Jr | Photobucket
    Dan Lipperini Jr

www.RaceLabz.com

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by w650gb500 View Post
    I built one back in 1995 and drove ot for 2 years. It had a Toyota 4-AG, T-50 trans and a Mazda RX-7 GSL rear. Lots of fun with only 115 HP and weighing 1120 pounds. Lots of hours of fabrication and trial-&-error.

Link to pix: Dan RM Seven Lotus 7 Replica by Daniel Lipperini Jr | Photobucket

I currently have a Rotus 7 powered by a turbo Mazda 13-B out of an RX-7 Turbo II, 5- speed with a Toyota Corolla rear. 245rwhp and 1200 pounds! The purple one.

Link to Rotus pictures: Rotus by Daniel Lipperini Jr | Photobucket

In the shop right now, I'm building one for my father with a Honda S2000 F20C, AP-2 transmission and an RX-7 GSL-SE rear. Should be 220+rwhp and 1200 pounds. When the VTEC comes on, it should be quite a handful!

Link to his pictures: Dads Lotus 7 Stuff by Daniel Lipperini Jr | Photobucket
    Spectacular cars! Very jealous, and definitely something to aspire to! Just a question (if you know), did you know for your dads build what size the frame is? as in width, and if you stretched the engine bay at all? I'm about to start the build and although I'll have my engine to measure off it would be good to have a ballpark figure.

3. Collapse Details
    I have been busy. Building a build table. Eack of the longitudinal members is about 100 lbs... its a sturdy table!

4. Collapse Details
    Nice table, is it in a stable

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tbwcurtis View Post
    Nice table, is it in a stable
    The Table is in a stable... I'll move it when I'm able

I'll also post some pics... I have a week of getting the workshop all sorted, that means finishing the table, puting up benches, moving a bunch of stuff, and generally hard work. It was over 100 F (see how I do american!!) here today... not the kind of temperature that makes this sort of a job fun

6. Collapse Details
    The shed is pretty much finished now. Just need to find a place to put everything. Dad got me a surprise xmas present of a gantry and chain block, i was very happy with that, and I threw a bit of a tantrum with an angle grinder and ended up buying a cold cut saw.... stupidly expensive but so worth it! also made a pad about 9m x 12m out the front with 4" of road base on it. Nice gravel work area:

And the saw

Table is finished. Its huge, 12" by 6"... and too heavy to lift. Its gonna be one hell of a table tennis table once this build is over and done with!

As for progress on the car... not much, but I did put the engine and rear end on the table and make engine noises, sit behind the engine and make engine noises with my mouth. Quite satisfying

Also... really bad time to have sold my house. I'm making a serious dent in my savings with all this shed stuff going on.... really bad timing

7. Collapse Details
    Its been slow progress.

About a week after I finished the shed off we had 2" of rain in 30 minutes. All the shed floor got covered in a thick layer of mud. Worst part is that about a week before I moved all my stuff into one side... furnature, books, fridges - everything except my clothes until I find a new place. It got trashed. Lost a couple of mattresses, a few book cases and a table. I was lucky with the rest of it all and it dried out. Massive pain and took all my spare time sorting that out rather than making progress. I was pretty lucky that everything from the car was off the ground, I doubt it would have really ruined the sump, gearbox or rear end but Its still easier not to have to worry

Anyway, I finally got it sorted and started making some progress on the car. Took hours trying to figure out the right dimensions to build it - I'm 6'3" and my buggy is too small. Massive PITA to make it bigger so thought I'd build this too big rather than too small. I extended the chassis by 3" in the cockpit - 2" longer to the dash, and 3" longer in the footwell compared to standard - Should allow my long arms and legs to fit in. Lots of time wasting sitting in the imaginary cockpit making engine noises. I regret nothing!

Progress is a bit more than shown but forgot to take photos... a few tubes are in on the top not shown:

Next week I should get some time off and I'm hoping to get the chassis looking like a chassis - I'm using 1" box for everything that needs aluminium plate riveted to it, and 1" tube for most everything else.

8. Collapse Details
    oH Boy I'm watching this one!!

9. Collapse Details
    Awesome! The 6x12 table is a great size. It fills up quick though! Ask me how I know
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

10. Collapse Details
    Sorry to hear about the flood! I don't wish that shit on anybody! Floods suck!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast