Thread: Lotus 7 Clone

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Lotus 7 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambam View Post
    Turbo is fun, but I hate the lag. I really want reliability rather than stupid performance (but ideally both ) so I'm just going with a high HP stock engine. The other problem is that I need to pass an emissions test. Its probably easier with a non-turbo engine. I hear the emissions test is pretty tricky to get through unless you have a stupid conservative exhaust on it. I'll probably have to have two exhausts... the one that they test, then the one that gets bolted on 10 minutes after passing

A friend locally has a supercharged s2000. It's not far behind the turbo cars for power, he makes 450ish hp on e85 at the wheels. No lag, and from an emissions standpoint pretty easy to take off the supercharger and put back on a few hours later.

Another friend has a "locost 7", also with a motor from the s2000 (f20?) and that car is an absolute blast to drive NA. He was originally going to do some sort of forced induction but after getting it up and running decided it was plenty fun NA.

Looks like this is going to be a fantastic project and I'm looking forward to following your progress!

2. Collapse Details
    "Looks like this is going to be a fantastic project and I'm looking forward to following your progress!"

Same here.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    Over here a lot of them are called Locost Seven. Cool build. Look up Kinetic vehicles.
    Kinetic Vehicles looks great! I have heard of a few different names for this type of vehicle:

Locost
    Haynes Clubman
    Clubman
    Caterham 7
    Westfield (and a whole bunch of other manufacturers)
    Kit cars
    and more... I think locost is about the most common name though. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by CARLRIDDLE View Post
    Ones I was spying are using complete motor trans and suspension from fwd car, dropped into rear of the roadster! Easy peasy.
    Sounds like a blast. I really like the look of this car though so I'll go for front engine. Some of the rear engine'd ones, although awesomely ballanced, just don't have the right look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    "Looks like this is going to be a fantastic project and I'm looking forward to following your progress!"

Same here.
    Thanks guys.

Also, Good heads up on the s2000 engine. From what I can tell they are about the best engine combo without having to tweek the engine. I'd rather stock hp over cams, carbs, exhaust, etc. any day!

Heres a vid of a simiar car with the s2000 engine. Its in italian but the engine speaks the universal language of hp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDMukessQtk

Picking up the diff on friday, hopefully have more of a plan after that arrives. Thanks for all your comments guys, Glad to know you still appreciate built for the black stuff

4. Collapse Details
    Well damn, that might be faster than my 69 Chevelle on Lake Whatcom BLVD.
    Ran that at 100 MPH plus. pushed a few 914s, 928s along. Would be fun on HWY 20, Nor cross. Looking forward to the build.

5. Collapse Details
    Speaking of small streetable cars, I follow these guys and think they do some excellent work.

I mentioned them in JD66's thread, but wanted to paste here for reference as well.

dp vehicle home

The Stiletto is probably closest in drivetrain configuration, to the FR configuration of the Lotus builds.

Polaris RAGER 570/1000 S Hybrid
    • Engine - 2016 RZR 1k XP
    • Transmission - RZR 1k XP
    • Chassis - 2012 RZR 570
    • Suspension -
      • Front: RZR 800S A-arms/Ranger 900 XP hubs
      • Rear: Ranger 900 XP A-arm/hubs

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/utv-a...ld-hybrid.html

"The grass isn't always greener, but the sun's always shining on the other side of the clouds."

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    That S2000 in the video is wicked sounding.

Man that guy's hands are quick.

Of course we still like the black stuff - heck, I like it all and a build is a build no matter what the intended final usage.

7. Collapse Details
    Video is cool, but the guys knees are way too close to the dash!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    Video is cool, but the guys knees are way too close to the dash!
    Yes. I'm 6'3... I will be building a car with plenty of legroom. Might be a bit on the big side for one of these things but it has to be. Thats whats awesome about a custom build though, it will be MY perfect car

DP vehicles looks cool. Its amazing what people are producing. Exocars.net has some awesome stuff too!

Picking up my rear suspension today first parts are always exciting, particularly when its such a big one.

Here is a bit of a solidworks mock up. I'll draw the rear when I get the rear end and can model it properly.

9. Collapse Details
    Well, More progress. Rear end has arrived, its in great condition, complete with LSD. Got some more parts. I'm going to use the RX8 front uprights/knuckles too. After I ordered a good used set on ebay I realised that the RX8 uses front suspension arms with inbuilt ball joints... so you can't buy the ball joints separately and bolt them into your own arms. Big problem. Been searching and its hard to find the specs for the ball joint taper. I'll have to look into it further, but might call for big modifications, or alternatively custom knuckles... I'm quite happy to fab them but the engineer said he'd be happier with stock ones. Still, i got some hubs, disks and calipers out of the deal so I'm still getting useful parts.

I ordered some front suspension bushes. Dang, I wish I found these when I was building my buggy rear end. They look great, complete with crush tube, and reasonable compared to what else is out there.

Haynes Roadster Locost Front Wishbone Bushes IN Poly | eBay

Next step: order steel and get this chassis built! Should be an easy build, they almost exclusively use square tube so that means no notching and a faster build!

10. Collapse Details
    Its been a big month. My dad had spinal surgery, my sister had a baby, and I moved 1000 km interstate. I still managed to collect a few parts for the project. I tracked down an S2000 engine, just had a fresh gearbox and an exceedy clutch put in it, thats good news. I also tracked down a few odds and ends like ball joints, tie rod ends, and a few exhaust parts. Nothing major. Picking up the engine in the new year, and the best news yet? I have a new workshop! I managed to convince dad that he needed another shed on his farm, so we built it big and put a wall in the middle, long story short, I get half... that equates to a 3 car garage. I am very happy Its about 2 hours from where I'm living, but I can visit for a weekend and make some serious progress in 2 solid days, rather than doing a few hours here and there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast