Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    1989 Daihatsu Hijet Van Project
    Hi, my name is Guy, I live in South Eastern Fl. I Have been into off-roading rock-crawling and motorcycles pretty much my whole life. Most of my projects were Land Cruisers with a few Motorcycles thrown in there. My new project is a 1989 Daihatsu Hijet Van that i picked up last year just for a around town car. It ended up being a billboard for my business after painting it and having it lettered.
    The original engine is a 550cc 3 cylinder engine that made 35 hp and was designed to putt putt around on Japans roads at 35-50 mph. That wasnt much fun so i tinkered on it and was soon hitting speeds of 80mph and soon there after started melting plug electrodes. As fun as it was like that I wanted something I could rely on and had some real power. I decided to re-power it with a motorcycle engine, started looking at a few and they all were missing reverse and the engines needed to be turned sideways or needed elaborate chain drives etc. I finally ended up choosing the Gold Wing GL1800 engine mostly due to how smooth and vibration free it is but also because of its shaft drive and reverse.
    I found this site by doing research while working the bugs out of my wire harness, i found a post on a Goldwing Site that showed a picture of someones buggy with the same engine in it, I followed the link back to one Bdkw1's Photo Bucket and found a trove of pictures of his build, I finally found this site with a google search on the Baro sensor, it seems that Bdkw1 had a problem with on his project as did I .
    So here I am, Ive gotten the engine running but the injectors were in the need of a cleaning service and the fuel pressure regulator was shot so I am waiting for that stuff to arrive here and then the project will be able to move ahead. I have been putting the parts together since Sept last year. I will see if i can load up a few pics of the van/engine/etc.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 1989 Daihatsu Hijet Van Project
    Last edited by Guy; 04-01-2015 at 08:57 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Pretty cool project, welcome to the site.

What part of south FL you in? I'm in west palm.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LIDUNO View Post
    Pretty cool project, welcome to the site.

What part of south FL you in? I'm in west palm.
    Im in central Port Saint Lucie, About an hour north of you, I use to Live down there but the traffic and 0 lot line homes... i had enough of the claustrophobia. There are some great areas down there but they are way to pricey. I now have twice the house and property at half the cost. What Area are you in?

5. Collapse Details
    I remember when military trail was 1 lane in each direction..lol It's like Miami moved here.

I live by Forest hill and Haverhill.

I used to ride my stuntbike up in PSL with a few friends, by a stadium if I remember correctly.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah I use to live off of military and summit lake, back when the 2 hurricanes came back to back, it was pretty crazy marshal law at night, people breaking into publix and being shot with bean bags.... not where i want to be if the SHTF.

7. Collapse Details
    I remember that, that's when I got my first generator..lol 10 days without power.

8. Collapse Details
    I was going to go a different route on the drive shaft, build a yoke like Bdkw1 did by combining the Goldwing yoke spline section with a larger 1310 yoke. When i started to tear down the two shafts i have, the Daihatsu shaft and the Goldwing shaft, there were a couple things that i noticed, the universals appeared to be similar. Once i got them apart it was clear that the Goldwing used more meat in theirs but what mattered was that the bearing caps were the same size O.D. So i checked the length of them cap to cap and it was withing a 32cnd, i popped out the arbor press and together it went, now all that is needed is to shorten the shaft to the needed length when the instal begins.

On the right is the Daihatsu and left the Honda

Here they are after
    Last edited by Guy; 04-03-2015 at 07:54 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    I've seen video of a goldwing as a tow truck, so not really surprised it has the same size u joint as a small van..lol Hopefully the rest of the build will be as easy.

10. Collapse Details
    I saw this and thought the engine was plenty powerful for my little van..

https://youtu.be/lITCg_xJx4U

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast